Thomas Cook - what you need to know - MSE News

Former_MSE_Callum
Former_MSE_Callum Posts: 696 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Newshound!
Holiday firm Thomas Cook has confirmed that it is seeking £200 million in extra funding as it attempts to prevent a collapse...
Read the full story:
'Thomas Cook worries? Here's what you need to know'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• I am paying by D/D for next years holiday, should I cancel the D/D
  • Direct debits do not provide any protection, it is like paying cash. However, if you have an ATOL Certificate you are protected, if you have no ATOL Certificate, then you are at total risk. I could never tell anyone not to pay but I might suggest a slight delay if it is due in the next 10 days or so. ATOL Cert, no worries, no ATOL big worries!
  • We have a group booking, flight only (MAN to MCO, departing 10/10/2019), booked directly with Thomas Cook Airlines, paid for with a Thomas Cook gift card. Where do we stand in terms of refunds if they do go into admin and flights are cancelled? (The gift cards were purchased with a credit card).
  • Hi thank you in advance for your help. I am covered by ABTA is that the same as ATOL?
  • Lets pray that they don't go under -no idea how repatriation flights could be organised for so many people:eek:
  • I have a Disney package booked and payed for. Triple protection, ATOL, CC and insurance. Which is the best avenue for a refund? Are all aspects covered? We got the park tickets, car hire and car insurance from them too. £6800 all in ��
  • Hi,

I'm assuming that if TC do go under then so will their subsidiaries?

I've got a Disneyland Paris trip booked for my son and I leaving on January 1st. It was booked through MagicBreaks. The ATOL certificate is in the name Freedom Travel Group Ltd, which is all part of TC.
    I'm not concerned about getting my money back, ATOL will cover that. I haven't told my son about the trip yet, I was going to surprise him on his birthday at the end of December so he won't be disappointed if it does get cancelled.

Just a shame for all the staff if the worst happens.
  • tberry6686
    tberry6686 Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I am paying for next years holiday by DD. If I am correct, I have no protection if TC goes under. Can I call them and pay some of it by credit card and gain protection that way ?
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Ironically it will cost ATOL £600 million to repatriate but only £200 million to keep it afloat
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • bhaisab
    bhaisab Posts: 285 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hello Forum,

I have booked flights and hotel, through sunshine.co.uk
    Atol certificate provided
    paid by CC

flights are with Thomas Cook, just seen company is at risk.
    If I take out insurance now will I be covered if flights are cancelled or would I be seeking help from Atol anyway
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure