Go Skippy Car insurance

Options

Comments

• splitinfinity
    Options
    I concur with the many comments above. GoSkippy are a very dodgy, near fraudulent company. I got insured with them around mid January this year, only to be asked for lots of scanned documentation, which I found a little weird, they then proceeded to send me a letter telling me they are cancelling the policy as they had not received the relevant documentation.

I called them and they told me about their ridiculous £75 cancellation fee, plus more £££ for the 6 weeks of cover I have had with them to date. Considering that I paid about £400 for my insurance, they are taking almost 30% of that just for covering me for 6 weeks.

I have read the documents they emailed me and this is what they said:

"It is also important that you read the full Policy Booklet, Your Statement of Information, Your Motor Policy Schedule and Your Certificate of Motor Insurance, which together, form the basis of the insurance cover you have purchased to ensure that it meets your demands and needs and you are familiar with all aspects of cover given to you and in what circumstances this may be excluded or limited. Policy Key Facts and Full Policy Wordings can be viewed or downloaded by clicking on 'Policy Wordings' from the GoSkippy website"

So, I read the "policy booklet", "statement of information", "motor policy schedule", "certificate of motor insurance" and finally on their website their "Policy Wordings" (they have several PDF files, I read the Southern Rock one, as that was my underwriter). This is what it said about cancellation:

"Where We do not receive evidence of Your no claim discount, licences for all drivers named on Your Policy or any other valid requests to support the accuracy of information You gave Us and on which Your insurance Terms are based upon, within 21 days from the start date of the Policy. If We have not received such evidence by the end of the 21 day period, We may issue a cancellation letter and We will cancel Your Policy if We do not receive evidence by the end of the seven day cancellation notice period"

When I called them up, the woman from the GoSkippy customer services, opened up her browser and guided me (as I was near my computer), to the GoSkippy site, and eventually to the "terms of business". A link hidden at the bottom of their webpage, which states:

"If the insurance has commenced and provided that you have not made a claim, or a claim having been made against you, you will be entitled to a refund of the premium paid, subject to a deduction for the time that you have been on cover (calculated as a proportion of the annual premium) along with a £75 deduction for our costs attributed in concluding your policy, administering your contract up until the effective cancellation date and processing the cancellation."

This was never pointed out in any of the documents they sent me, so it seems to me like it is a hidden charge, or even obscured. I am sure that there is some legislation which ensures that this should have been made known to me at the time I was taking out the policy?

Whom can I speak to about this? Will the FSA deal with this or will my query get brushed aside?
  • RyszardF
    Options
    TO EVERYONE:

Avoid this rip off company,
    yesterday I went to buy a car which I didn`t buy at the end. I purchased the insurance around 2pm though goskippy.com after 10minutes I have emailed them saying to cancel it as I`m not buying a car. This morning I gave them a call, from 130pounds paid they want to give me 40quid ! as they cancellations fees etc, also they said I took it on Saturday where on Saturday it wasn`t even in my deapest dreams... Anyway refund will come on cheque within 28days, This company is a SCAM, avoid completely
  • helenbc
    helenbc Posts: 74 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Really wish Id read this thread before taking out a policy with this useless company!!!
    As said in previous posts AVOID this rip off company like the plague :mad:
  • Slinkey
    Slinkey Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Do not use this company. I cancelled my policy with them after one month because I had part-ex'd the car I have insured with them, and they charged a £50 cancellation fee on top of taking an excessive amount for the month of cover.

To add insult to injury, there was over an hour wait on their "customer" lines to try and cancel. I had no choice but to do it by email. They took two days to finally cancel my policy. And then waited another day to action the repayment which will now take 5 working days, ie. a real week, to reach my account.

This is unacceptable in the modern. They won't get my custom ever again and I will tell anyone who asks not to get insurance with them.
  • happyandrew_2
    Options
    Like the rest of you, I found Go Skippy, they were keen to get my policy, so I agreed to give them our business. The vehicle is a company vehicle owned by the company and the details were taken over the telephone.

When I got the policy documents, I found that they have put the name of the company as the person who is eligible to drive the van and are refusing to put my name in. Trying to call them you are given a premium number and then told your average wait would be 24 minutes!

So I now have a vehicle I cannot use and unable to get GoSkippy to respond. Has to be the worst broker out there. My advice, go skip off to the next boker... :mad:
  • bevvy46
    bevvy46 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    citykid5 wrote: »
    never heard of it

ive been with them a year infact just got new quote yeserday,i have had no problems with them, i get the documents even with the small print,like any other insurer to be honest
  • georgiasmum
    georgiasmum Posts: 390 Forumite
    Options
    they have been fine so far...
    THE LONG AND THE SLOW ROAD SEEM TO APPLY TO DEBTS AND DIETS... THE TWO THINGS I WANT TO SEE THE BACK OF...:D
  • Tarrence_2
    Options
    DO NOT USE THEM.

I renewed my policy for £420 - fair enough. I then checked the compare sites and was quoted £340.

When I asked them about this £80, they told me they could cancel my old policy and set me up on the new price, - Not bad, I thought, I was afraid it would be a struggle.

Turns out they wanted to charge me the £50 standard admin fee for changes to policy and another £110 on top for the 18 days I had been with them!
    I asked how on Earth that was justified and they just said "Sorry, the computer calculates the value".
    So to get the actual policy price I was entitled to on the 'Free Market', they wanted me to pay THEM an extra £70 than I was already paying!

That's correct, they said, the £340 plus the £50 fee, plus the £110 I had used (In 18 days, which should have actually been £20), So I would have to pay them £70 to change to the cheaper policy.

Thank God for entrepeneurs eh.

Do Not Use This Company.
  • georgiasmum
    georgiasmum Posts: 390 Forumite
    Options
    I revoke my earlier post about saying they were ok. OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Run away now
    THE LONG AND THE SLOW ROAD SEEM TO APPLY TO DEBTS AND DIETS... THE TWO THINGS I WANT TO SEE THE BACK OF...:D
  • Davro
    Options
    I was with go skippy for less than a day but during that time they had sent me emails with hidden extras and big charges .

So I phoned to cancel was then told to put it in writing so I did emailed it to the cancelations dept. no reply phoned again and
    Was told they had received my cancel letter and would get a full
    Refund because I was stop policy within the 14 days cooling period
    I was to pay a £25 cancel fee and a days cover cost.

Told refund might take up to 30 days but should be done 3-5 working days. I have not had any more emails to say refund is going though ok just wait and see !!!

Think you should do a review on TV about how the deal with there customers and refunds.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure