How does a PhD make you a better worker than someone without one?

Options
1303132333436»

Comments

• bmouthboyo
    bmouthboyo Posts: 94 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thats ok i kind of understand, it must be hard when you have not been educated as an adult.

I only hope you can maybe provide your children with what you have missed out on :):money: :D
  • magyar
    magyar Posts: 18,909 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bmouthboyo wrote: »
    Thats ok i kind of understand, it must be hard when you have not been educated as an adult.

I only hope you can maybe provide your children with what you have missed out on :):money: :D

Please don't feed the troll any more.

Don__t_feed_the_Troll.jpg
    Says James, in my opinion, there's nothing in this world
    Beats a '52 Vincent and a red headed girl
  • Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    Options
    magyar wrote: »

Ok I won't;) . I did kinda think it was an AE as there seems to be a lot of them about!!
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
  • DrFluffy
    DrFluffy Posts: 2,549 Forumite
    Options
    magyar wrote: »

But he does look hungry. Bless him...
    April Grocery Challenge £81/£120
  • keeperbear
    keeperbear Posts: 293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    Getting a PhD will not make YOU more employable. The only thing that will do that is getting a job, and perhaps a life away from your computer screen.

What utter tosh! You will not even get interviewed for certain jobs without a PhD. For example, hardly any US or UK universities will consider non-PhDs for a faculty position. I found it impossible to get a decent lecturership until I passed my viva. Since being awarded my PhD, I have worked in both the USA and UK, and have had little trouble getting a job.
  • melancholly
    melancholly Posts: 7,457 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    keeperbear wrote: »
    What utter tosh! You will not even get interviewed for certain jobs without a PhD. For example, hardly any US or UK universities will consider non-PhDs for a faculty position. I found it impossible to get a decent lecturership until I passed my viva. Since being awarded my PhD, I have worked in both the USA and UK, and have had little trouble getting a job.

i think that the post by sue was directly aimed at studentphil, rather than a wider audience!! (and as such, was very apt!) if you read the whole thread, you'll get the general gist of why!
    :happyhear
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oh dear, oh dear !

I am just going outside and may be some time.
  • BornSloppy
    BornSloppy Posts: 288 Forumite
    Options

I agree. My boyfriend's doing an MA then a phD which will enable him to get a better lecturer's job.Don't know what the average employer thinks about people with doctorates but if you're entering the world of Academia surely it's a must and you'll be taken more seriously? The only person I know who lectures and doesn't have a phd is a published writer whose work is already respected.
  • Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    Options
    Savvy was referring to 'proper jobs' in the big wide world:D
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
  • keeperbear
    keeperbear Posts: 293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Poppy9 wrote: »
    Savvy was referring to 'proper jobs' in the big wide world:D

Very funny. :p You mean proper jobs like people who gamble on shares everyday (i.e. a stockbroker)? :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure