PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ploppy, I cross-posted, sorry.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) I produce anti-gluten antibodies and my GP reckons that I would test positive for coeliac if went back to eating gluten for more than the occasional item. Like about a third of peeps in my circs, I choose not to go on to have the test. I'm not a fan of medical tests and have such a strong gag reflex that I almost vomit if a dr uses a tongue depressor so they can get a better look at my tonsils, swallowing a camera would be distressing. Not to mention messy for the persons trying to administer the test. :p

There are also people who test negative for coeliac but whose many and varied symptoms show relief on a gluten-free diet and there may be many more of them than of coeliacs, and there are reckoned to be half a million undiagnosed coeliacs in the country.

If you have trouble retaining or gaining weight, this can be a symptom of undiagnosed coeliac disease as the villi lining the small intestine are damaged by gluten and affect your ability to absorb nutrients.

As always, consult a doctor and get a second opinion, if the answer feels wrong to you. HTH.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,100 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Fen1 wrote: »
    Ploppy: far too many doctors know nothing about intolerance. Unless you can be definably diagnosed as allergic, forget it. I think that they believe intolerances are "fashionable", so can be very dismissive. I have known one or two GPs and a few doctors who are sympathetic to intolerances, but they have personal experience to inform them rather than training.

Try going GF. What harm can it do? If you are gluten intolerant you may well find that your gut health improves, so you can then absorb nutrients properly, rather than po*ping them out. Do you know why you are losing too much weight? Celiac certainly springs to mind, but if you do want to be tested, you should do so before going GF. To be tested for celiac requires loading your system with gluten. Utterly barbaric.

Both my husband and I have been tested for Coeliac. We aren't, but the process of gluten-loading was so horrible neither of us will touch gluten again.

I've always been about the same weight...about 9.5 stone and 5' 9". I eat a good diet and have always been wary of things that upset my IBS. I always buy gluten free pasta as I find normal pasta does make me worse, which is why I asked gp to do blood test. I might try consciously cutting out gluten more and keep a food diary to keep check. See if my sinuses improve as well as my IBS.
  • Elona_2
    Elona_2 Posts: 361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    GQ

I seem to be the opposite of gluten intolerant as gaining and keeping weight on is not a problem. I do feel better if I restrict the amount of bread or rolls I shove in my gob.

I seem to have kondoed myself!!!!!!!!!!! I had to change my e mail and tried to tell mse and for the last few days it won't let me log in. Eventually I decided stuff this for a game of soldiers and have joined as a new member.

Can't seem to get the old forum style to show up no matter what I do but at least I can post.

Have spent the last couple of days looking for a replacement china cabinet as the one I have is falling to bits. I don't want to spend a fortune but want something more modern and safe. I feel guilty if I get self assembly as then dds or sil feel obliged to do it for me and they are all so busy just now.

Hugs to all.
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    a variety called pigs snout from ian sturrock in wales.

We have a Bardsey Apple from Ian.......from his very early days when we were practically neighbours! Fab eating apples . Can recommend :)
    ploppy57 wrote: »
    That's really interesting about the gluten/sinuses.

Hmmm I am going to investigate further........well experiment. I can take gluten but have had ongoing sinus problems...........
    Charis wrote: »
    Some models, like mine, are still supported but 'can no longer be repaired'. There's a list here if you have a TomTom and want to check. TomTom have emailed some users, but I haven't had an email from them.

I would imagine they are feeling the pinch as lots of people now using free apps on phones for sat nav.............I still read a map:rotfl:
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • catshark88
    catshark88 Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    If you are having digestive difficulties, it can be really helpful trying a gf diet. A close friend had an illness that required plasma exchange and drugs usually used in chemotherapy. They came off gluten and were able to almost come off drugs. They aren’t coeliac, but are massively, massively gluten intolerant. Just because gf has become a fad, doesn’t mean that gluten isn't a real problem to some.
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,200 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    we've resisted buying a satnav unit because we use our phones if we need it. The TomTom app, TomTom Go offers 50 free miles a month. I haven't used a subscription since the summer, but at the time it was £5/month for unlimited miles and no contractual obligations, just PAYG. It was a godsend on our US roadtrip.

elona - no new accounts can access the old green forum layout. If you keep your new username you're stuck with the new layout.
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Both OH and I have sat navs (I have his old one) - I don't like it and always use my phone with g00gle maps on and audio directions - free (obv uses data) and works well :)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I had sinusitis for years and I always blamed the heating at work till a doctor said to try omitting dairy from my diet. It's easier now as there is soya milk oat milk etc but water on your cornflakes is not quite the same. It worked for me and am now symptom free.
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm both milk ( don't know if it's specifically the lactose ) and gluten intolerant.

I firstly stopped eating dairy as that was an obvious trigger. I lost a fair bit of weight and my health massively improved. I then stopped eating gluten and oats ( oats also set me off, even GF oats.) My health improved again, but didn't get the drop in weight as I got with going off dairy. I do get bloated when I eat gluten, but I get bloated with a fair few other foods as well. Bit of a bu*ger!!!

When I originally went to my GP suggesting that I was dairy intolerant I was basically told not to be so stupid. I wasn't allergic - no immediate rushing to the loo or vomiting after every ingestion of dairy - therefore I was being silly. There was no such thing as dairy intolerance.

One of my symptoms was a runny and irritated nose. Going DF hugely helped with my nose, as well as my tummy😁
    Dairy increases mucous production. So runny nose, sinuses, phlegm, chest and breathing problems, might be dairy instead, or as well as, gluten.

Or any of the other million things to which you could be sensitive ( yes, soya, I am looking at you....)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure