PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• CEW
    CEW Posts: 407 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    For anyone using webuybooks to get rid of books wlways do a quick search to see if they have any bonus codes. They nearly always have a 10% bonus code and occasionally 20%.

I've used them quite a few times in the past and think I've only sold twice without a code.

CEW
    That money talks I don't deny, I heard it once, it said "Goodbye"
  • daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 1,210 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    has anyone fallen in love with a kindle? I have a paperwhite in a drawer and can already see gaps appearing on my bookshelves, not wanting to add to them, I am thinking of trying to get used to kindle for future books, fiction at least

My pal LOVES her kindle. So much so that she now feels awkward trying to hold a real book. She also loves the fact if she doesn't feel like a book half way through, she can temporarily ditch it and read something else - a boon when she is working night shift and sometimes is really quiet so has hours to fill. Saves her carrying in several books 'just in case'.

On the other hand both Mr daisy and I can't really get used to them and would much much rather have the real thing. He had to persevere for a while as an author did a set but the last 3 were electronic only. He managed it but it wasn't such a pleasure as opening a real book he felt.

Daisy xx
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
  • Bluegreen143
    Options
    I read kindle books using the app on my phone but I’m actually trying to give up shopping using amazon so will mainly return to paper books. Tbh I find a lot of my kindle purchases are impulse buys and it was costing me a lot when I should be using the library.

Enjoyed our wee two nights away and did the plates/bowls/glasses tonight when we got back - addicted to kondoing :) would love to Kondo our mismatched mugs but alas DH would have a fit, he loves them. I did get rid of a few glasses that didn’t spark joy but again had to be careful as he has a real attachment to some of the random glasses. I’d love to just have say 6 each of matching wine glasses, champagne flutes and tumblers with a couple of pint glasses for DH (we do have friends over a lot but I find guests drink beer in the can or bottle it comes in - as does DH 80% of the time if he was being honest!). Plus 6 plain mugs. But of course we need to compromise and he really is much better than he used to be :)

Also did our cutlery drawer and started rifling through our random utensil/small kitchenware drawer but then decided 11.30 at night was a bad time to start! Did find some random stuff that didn’t belong there including a yarn needle for sewing up knitting (I do knit and crochet, so this sparked plenty joy!), some sellotape and dental floss?! DH’s version of tidying up sometimes involves chucking everything in right into the closest drawer :rotfl:
    Part time working mum | Married in 2014 | DS born 2015 & DD born 2018 | Allegedly attempting to be mortgage free - diary here
  • shanks77
    shanks77 Posts: 1,182 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 27 January 2018 at 6:52AM
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    has anyone fallen in love with a kindle? I have a paperwhite in a drawer and can already see gaps appearing on my bookshelves, not wanting to add to them, I am thinking of trying to get used to kindle for future books, fiction at least

Some items went this morning, equivalent of a kitchen shelf, large metal teapot, large plunger coffee pot, big bulky hand held back massager and sundry bits. Haven`t used any of them for two or more years
    I have a kindle and whilst I don't love it per say I love going away with hundreds of books at my disposal and only carrying 1 lightweight item. I will always prefer a real book but as there are so many free books to chose from it is a good way of broadening your tastes without wasting money and if it's no good just delete without having to find ways of disposing of it. My sis on the other hand loves hers and has got rid of all her paper books
    Not sure if any of that helps
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    With reference to all the Kindle posts. I have thought I would like one but worry about getting headaches with looking at a screen for too long, which is what happens with my tablet/phone. However I like idea of being able to try different books without having to buy.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    thanks for the kindle info. I guess I need to get used to it, once I have finished my current book,flood, then I will pick one of the many I have on kindle, many were free
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The screens on Kindles are slightly different to phones and tablets so reading is a lot easier on the eyes. Mine has been a godsend for travelling but I still borrow ordinary books from the library too.
  • ScarletRibbons
    Options
    I have a kindle, but still borrow from the library, and have far too many"real" books.
    As others have said though, the kindle is a godsend while travelling. We have family in Australia, and it's great for long haul flights.
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I love my kindle and unless it is a brand new book from the library I would rather have an ebook. Can't stand a book someone has eaten or worse smoked over.
    I signed up to bookbub where you choose which genres you like and just download their free books from the links in their emails. But unless you read a lot their emails arrive every day which was a nuisance for one of my friends. They had one of my favourite authors books for 99p last week so I did buy it.
    KM going great and just finished my kitchen with the addition of new vinyl new table and chairs and new rollerblind. Even behind the frfreezer and cooker got scrubbed.
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Kittie I have a kindle which I love for holidays, I don't seem to read as much as I used to .I don't know Wether that's because I go on the tablet more whereas I used to pick up a book I a spare moment.
    I have been reading a chapter when I get in bed to try get me off to sleep this last week though, which is helping.

I have to say there's many a time I would love to throw away all my things and start again, but thrift gets in the way, but last year I did treat myself to 4 new cups in the sale . Why is it we never break the stuff we are fed up with. Glasses I sorted when I first km ,but thinking now I will get rid of the pint glasses as was said the men tend to drink from cans , and I've got some nice tumblers if they want a glass.
    I threw away a couple of ornaments, I did like them but they had broke a couple of times and been glued, so they were relegated to upstairs so I decided to release them.
    I cleaned my rug yesterday, my carpet cleaner isn't working properly though and isn't drying well, so I'm in 2 minds wether to get rid of it as I wouldn't use on carpets now.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure