Leeds Building Society Regular Saver (Issue 4)

Options

Comments

• aj23_2
    aj23_2 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    I have a large amount to withdraw from Leeds (6 figures)

I never set up an on-line account and I was quite glad of that as one of my password was stolen recently.
    I am suprised that Leeds are happy to send cheques through the standard post for 6 figures. What happens if the post is stolen or gets lost? It's not that hard for someone to set up an account and pay the cheques in elsewhere.

I will be going to the branch to pick up and Im happy with that, but I'm not happy about that amount going through standard post (I wouldn't want to lose a smaller amount mind).

I agree with the comment that one should make sure the terms and conditions suit before applying, but I'm still suprised at their procedures.
    They won't even sent it by recorded delivery (which I'd probably be happy with).

It's very rare that they go missing or are stolen. And the computer printed cheque with your name on it would mean no one would be able to alter it by hand at least and it's not in their name. I've often posted them my passbook with a cheque. Never had an issue. Or with receiving cheques.

If you wanted, you could write on the withdrawal form (below) the bank, sort and account numbers in the payable line so that it can only be deposited by you into your account in such a circumstance of you not receiving it, like Halifax - Mr A Smith or Mr A Smith 00-00-00 12345678, for extra security. I write the name of the bank before the persons name, if I know it. Chequebook inner page actually advises this method for protection.

Leeds Building Society, for example, advise that cheques you write to them to deposit be written as Leeds Building Society re: Mr A Smith or Leeds Building Society re: 00-00-00 12345678.

You're actually more likely now to be defrauded from card fraud than cheque fraud thanks to Contactless.

Here is the withdrawal form, should you want to do it.
    https://www.leedsbuildingsociety.co.uk/_resources/pdfs/savings-pdfs/postal-withdrawals-and-closuers.pdf
  • Wheres_My_Cashback
    Options
    pafpcg wrote: »
    Just a warning about sending a secure message to request a withdrawal: some of us can't to do it because there's a fault in the Leeds system, which for some users, suppresses the screen option to send a secure message! My partner's account can send secure messages, mine can't. See my posting #871 on page 44 of the Regular Savers thread here: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5776240&page=44

Have you asked them to set up a new online ID for you ?
  • pafpcg
    pafpcg Posts: 882 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have you asked them to set up a new online ID for you ?
    Wow! That's a "solution" that sounds just like I'd have suggested back in the days when I had responsibility for IT systems: avoid the problem and hope a fix for the fault can be found sometime later!

Actually, it's not going to be a problem for me until next year when the Issue4 finally "matures" on 31-January; if the secure messages feature isn't available by then, I'll post a withdrawal/closure form beforehand and if LeedsBS action it a few days early, that'll not be a problem for me. It'll be the anniversary of the new Issue17 when it becomes critical. [LeedsBS gave me a way of submitting a withdrawal/closure request electronically, but it wasn't a solution I'd recommend.]
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 August 2018 at 9:53AM
    Options
    It's very rare that they go missing or are stolen. And the computer printed cheque with your name on it would mean no one would be able to alter it by hand at least and it's not in their name.
    But anyone with the ability to set up an account in the same name can pay it in right?
    Rare - I agree.
    Would I be covered though if it did happen to me?

If you wanted, you could write on the withdrawal form (below) the bank, sort and account numbers in the payable line so that it can only be deposited by you into your account in such a circumstance of you not receiving it, like Halifax - Mr A Smith or Mr A Smith 00-00-00 12345678, for extra security. I write the name of the bank before the persons name, if I know it. Chequebook inner page actually advises this method for protection.
    Ah I didn't know that.
    Thanks !!!

As it happens its very easy for me to get to banks and it doesn't cost me that much either (because there is a daily cap on public transport), so I think I might just do it that way to save time and just get it done (it's paying off our mortgage so there is a certain satisfaction).

You're actually more likely now to be defrauded from card fraud than cheque fraud thanks to Contactless.
    For the ISAs in question we have no cards, cheque or online IDs which I was quite glad about when a password was stolen (it was not used for any account only for asking for money) and yes I have changed them all now and made them identifiable.
  • aj23_2
    edited 6 August 2018 at 9:54AM
    Options
    But anyone with the ability to set up an account in the same name can pay it in right?
    Rare - I agree.
    Would I be covered though if it did happen to me?

Ah I didn't know that.
    Thanks !!!

As it happens its very easy for me to get to banks and it doesn't cost me that much either (because there is a daily cap on public transport).

They'd have to prove it was them who had that name though, either through online ID check or in person. I doubt that would even happen. That's why if you wrote on the withdrawal form, that you want the cheque payable to your name followed by the sort code and account number of where you will deposit, only you have that account number.
  • lisyloo
    Options
    They'd have to prove it was them who had that name though

There are probably hundreds maybe thousands of people across the country who geuninely have the right to use the same name as me.
    Might be different if I was called Anastasia Humperdinck but I'm not :-)

Agree about the account number (thanks for the tip).

Still don't want to wait for 2 lots of second class post to pay off the mortgage !!! :-))
  • aj23_2
    Options
    There are probably hundreds maybe thousands of people across the country who geuninely have the right to use the same name as me.
    Might be different if I was called Anastasia Humperdinck but I'm not :-)

Agree about the account number (thanks for the tip).

Still don't want to wait for 2 lots of second class post to pay off the mortgage !!! :-))

Yeah but they wouldn't necessarily have your other info as the same, like DOB, address, NI number etc. I really don't think you'll have a problem. If not, just go to branch and withdraw. :j
  • lisyloo
    edited 6 August 2018 at 10:26AM
    Options
    Yeah but they wouldn't necessarily have your other info as the same, like DOB, address, NI number etc.
    Why do they need that?
    If postman Joe Bloggs steals a cheque in the name of Fred Smith (say), then all he has to do is ask his mate Fred Smith to cash the cheque for a cut. Why does he need the other info? You only need an account in a matching name to cash a cheque and anecdotally they aren't they fastidious at checking names, dates etc.

This has been done before. I'm not saying it's likely at all in fact it's rare, I just dont think it's completely safe for your life savings if it JUST depends on name (I'm now aware of the account number tip).

What if it gets stuck behing a radiator and is genuinely lost in the post?
    How long would I have to wait to be re-imbursed?
    It would be a problem if that extended past my mortgage term.
    I agree it's rare but it does happy that things get lost in the post and this is one of those time I need it not to happen.
  • aj23_2
    Options
    Why do they need that?
    If postman Joe Bloggs steals a cheque in the name of Fred Smith (say), then all he has to do is ask his mate Fred Smith to cash the cheque for a cut. Why does he need the other info? You only need an account in a matching name to cash a cheque and anecdotally they aren't they fastidious at checking names, dates etc.

This has been done before. I'm not saying it's likely at all in fact it's rare, I just dont think it's completely safe for your life savings if it JUST depends on name (I'm now aware of the account number tip).

What if it gets stuck behing a radiator and is genuinely lost in the post?
    How long would I have to wait to be re-imbursed?
    It would be a problem if that extended past my mortgage term.
    I agree it's rare but it does happy that things get lost in the post and this is one of those time I need it not to happen.

Yeah but these hypotheticals are very extreme! Do it however works best for you.
  • Wheres_My_Cashback
    Options
    pafpcg wrote: »
    Wow! That's a "solution" that sounds just like I'd have suggested back in the days when I had responsibility for IT systems: avoid the problem and hope a fix for the fault can be found sometime later!

Nothing wrong with a short term work around whilst dealing with the fundamental issue, however in your case I suspect nothing would be suitable !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure