PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The "have a look at this!" thread II

Options

Comments

• toozie_2
    toozie_2 Posts: 3,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh god! What the heck is this? I mean can someone stay in such a house? I can't even imagine in my life. I certainly agree with LeeUk. It seems they had not change a single thing since sixties. People today won't wish to have such a home.

I think it does depend on how old you are "today", from what walk of life you have come from, and the type of life you have had in the past.
    Many people in their late 70's & 80's have had to live with nothing after the war years, and find it difficult not to make do and mend.
    Changing a settee, carpet or kitchen units would not enter into my parents head unless they had literally fallen apart around them or disintegrated.
    They are perfectly happy with their life though, and have plenty of money saved!
    :j
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,988 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My uncle and aunt's home was a clean, warm and happy place, walls covered in photos and memorabilia from their past. It was a lovely place to visit. When they both passed away and my cousins cleared the house, it became a shell with mad swirly carpets and fittings from the 1960s. A house doesn't always look the same when the people who made it a home have gone.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Options
    toozie wrote: »
    I think it does depend on how old you are "today", from what walk of life you have come from, and the type of life you have had in the past.
    Many people in their late 70's & 80's have had to live with nothing after the war years, and find it difficult not to make do and mend.
    Changing a settee, carpet or kitchen units would not enter into my parents head unless they had literally fallen apart around them or disintegrated.
    They are perfectly happy with their life though, and have plenty of money saved!

Whether things are 1960s, '70s or '80s or 2015, it is generally a matter of fashion, not function. As long as items have been cared for and are in good condition, why be slavishly updating every five years?

If a new buyer wants a different era's designs, they are free to change their property. I've happily moved into an Edwardian house which still had functioning bells (ringing in what was our kitchen/breakfast room) to summon the maid.
  • toozie_2
    toozie_2 Posts: 3,274 Forumite
    Options
    I actually much prefer old furniture, it was made to last.
    We salvaged a large pitch pine chest of drawers from a barn about 31 years ago.
    It's been in use ever since in our bedroom- in 3 properties. The drawers are deep my DH has one, and I have 5!!!

I can't count how many MFI sets of drawers my kids had from birth to leaving home, none survived.

I'd love a Victorian/ Edwardian property.
    :j
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Whether things are 1960s, '70s or '80s or 2015, it is generally a matter of fashion, not function. As long as items have been cared for and are in good condition, why be slavishly updating every five years?

If a new buyer wants a different era's designs, they are free to change their property. I've happily moved into an Edwardian house which still had functioning bells (ringing in what was our kitchen/breakfast room) to summon the maid.

I'd be even more impressed if a maid actually appeared, when you rang the bell....
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options

So in 40+ years time, we will see probate properties with a feature wall in the lounge, bedroom with huge floral designs and word stickers on walls?
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,988 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So in 40+ years time, we will see probate properties with a feature wall in the lounge, bedroom with huge floral designs and word stickers on walls?

Don't forget the 'vintage' collection of sticks in a vase.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• DRP
    DRP Posts: 4,275 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-23751846.html

Is it just me or does the floor plan indicate that if you are in the lounge and wanting to go to the bedroom 3, that you need to go through the hall, dining room, kitchen, utility room and study?

ooo my home town!

it 's been on the market a while mind - sept 2012!!!
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options

I guess there is a perceived difference between something old enough to be "period" and a bit "different" - eg those functioning bells (which I would probably keep myself) and something that's old enough not to be modern, but not to be "period" either.

I was wondering the other day where the dividing line lies between period, old-fashioned and modern era.

I rather came to the conclusion that period to me would mean up to and including the 1950s, old-fashioned would be 1960-1990 and modern would be 1990 onwards iyswim.

When I've finished renovating this house it will basically say "21st century", apart from the kitchen (which I cant afford to replace yet) which will temporarily just qualify as "modern" (but not 21st century). In about 10 years time the kitchen will look "old-fashioned" as well as "not my taste/not functional enough/put in by a bodger" and it will absolutely HAVE to go at that stage (if it hasn't already) in my mind.

But that's just me...
  • liz-paul
    liz-paul Posts: 899 Forumite
    Options
    Think I might have difficulty getting in and out of the bath in this house!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-30099444.html?premiumA=true

Sorry if posted before
    1% at a time no. 40. £8000 (For dream family holiday) 94/100
    MFW 2013 no. 62 £10,000/£10,000
    MFW 2014 no 62 £8000/£7000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business