PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The "have a look at this!" thread II

Options

Comments

• wannabehermit
    wannabehermit Posts: 645 Forumite
    Options
    tom9980 wrote: »

How many times do you think they stub their toe on the basin? And thank goodness for the green toilet seat or you'd have no idea where to go for a wee :D
    Clean credit file:12 mths
    Car loan: FREE! :j
    THE PLAN: 1.Pay off debt £8808.42(£3254.45, £1570.32, £2698.33, £0:dance:, £1000, £285.32) 2.Save monthly for Christmas/insurance etc £150 per month 3.Save for emergencies /£1500 4.Save for our B&B £????depends which one takes our fancy :D
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-23751846.html

Is it just me or does the floor plan indicate that if you are in the lounge and wanting to go to the bedroom 3, that you need to go through the hall, dining room, kitchen, utility room and study?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    A real blast from the past, looks like a probate sale; swirl carpets, dark wood, green bathroom suite, no C/H, bull-rushes in the 'garden'

'in need of a degree of upgrading...' :rotfl:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-44141167.html

What is it with these old people probate houses, it's like they completely renovate back in the sixties and then not change a single thing ever since.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,558 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Is it just me or does the floor plan indicate that if you are in the lounge and wanting to go to the bedroom 3, that you need to go through the hall, dining room, kitchen, utility room and study?

Bedroom 3 looks like a converted garage so it is a bit of a trek.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    What is it with these old people probate houses, it's like they completely renovate back in the sixties and then not change a single thing ever since.

I think for a lot of people, particularly as they get older, the stress and upheaval of any major changes outweighs he desire / benefit to make changes. And of course, a lot of people in that generation will have been brought up with the mindset that you replace things when they wear out, and not before.

I guess that those who are dying now and having property sold as probate properties may well have redecorated / updated around the time their children left home and/or they downsized, so he timings would be about right!
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Coveredinbees!!!!
    Options

Well at least you wouldn't be able to hear the kids screaming in the middle of the night......
    Nothing to see here, move along.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,558 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    TBagpuss wrote: »
    I think for a lot of people, particularly as they get older, the stress and upheaval of any major changes outweighs he desire / benefit to make changes. And of course, a lot of people in that generation will have been brought up with the mindset that you replace things when they wear out, and not before.

I guess that those who are dying now and having property sold as probate properties may well have redecorated / updated around the time their children left home and/or they downsized, so he timings would be about right!

This is what often happens. Add to that the lack of money when you're living on just a pension and it can seem much easier to live with the old carpet or wallpaper rather than pay out a lot to have it changed.
  • toozie_2
    toozie_2 Posts: 3,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My parents fall into that category, they have the money, but their motto is why replace something that's not broken.

I think it's both lovely and sad to see these places, lovely because I'm sure they have been looked after well-in the way of cleaning and taking care of processions and have seen some "life" over the years.

Sad because it's the end of an era in someone's family.

x
    :j
  • ruben93watson
    ruben93watson Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Oh god! What the heck is this? I mean can someone stay in such a house? I can't even imagine in my life. I certainly agree with LeeUk. It seems they had not change a single thing since sixties. People today won't wish to have such a home.
  • olias
    olias Posts: 3,588 Forumite
    Options
    Are you drunk?

Olias
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts