Energy: Find the cheapest supplier & earn cashback

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Perhaps because they are too expensive so appear further down the results?
    On the Cheap Energy Club(CEC) you can tick the box "Tariffs from my current supplier" which shows just those tariffs.
    For me EDF do show on the CEC but well down the list as they are 33% more expensive than my current tariffs.
  • Skools_Out
    Skools_Out Posts: 258 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm due to update my gas and Electricity this month and so I've done some searching using the Cheap Energy Club, Moneysupermarket and Compare the Market. With all these search engines I'm not getting any EDF quotes returned. I'm currently with EDF and happy to remain there. Anyone know why I'm not seeing any offers? I do see quotes on EDFs web site, but last years renewal I got a better deal (with them) through MoneySuperMarket.

Restrict results output to the major suppliers only :)
  • Skools_Out
    Skools_Out Posts: 258 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi all,
    Does anyone have any experience of Utility Warehouse please? I'm considering signing up with them but wondering if there are any problems/negatives I should be aware of....
    Is Utility Warehouse any good?

This is a commonly-asked question. Unlike most energy companies and resellers, Utility Warehouse operates by network marketing, which means its customers are encouraged to sell on the product to their friends and they get commission for it.

This tends to mean it does well on feedback charts, as customers have a vested interest, and many of them are evangelical about the firm. That in itself doesn't make the product bad, but in our view it's no better or worse than any other energy provider.

The main pitch of Utility Warehouse is that you can also get cheap mobile, broadband and home phones with it and that reduces the fee. In general, we find using the cheapest individual providers undercuts this, so always compare with those before signing up to it. See our Cheap Home Phones, Cheap Broadband and Cheap Mobiles guides for more.

https://clubs.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub/faq
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    . . . Anyone know why I'm not seeing any offers? I do see quotes on EDFs web site, but last years renewal I got a better deal (with them) through MoneySuperMarket.
    For what its worth, the cheapest E.on tariff for me (using CEC comparison with my current tariff) would see my annual estimated dual fuel costs rise from £638 currently to £868 if I switched to E.on's Smart Saver 1 Year v5.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • Worried_of_wakefield
    Options
    Best comparison site by far is the Citizens advice energy site, I dont believe they accept 'kick backs' unlike a number of the big sites and they offer scores and scores of small companys offering huge savings, however from what I read there is a range of differing customer service quality

One company to avoid Together Energy, just had 10 months of hell with them, shall be using above site to find a new supplier shortly
  • codger
    codger Posts: 2,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Best comparison site by far is the Citizens advice energy site, I dont believe they accept 'kick backs' unlike a number of the big sites and they offer scores and scores of small companys offering huge savings, however from what I read there is a range of differing customer service quality.

Unfortunately, offering "scores and scores of small companies" without validation of what those small operators are actually like is of little benefit.

If you look back in time, you'll remember that privatisation of the UK energy market was the mantra of glib ideologists who said that a free market allowed greater competition and greater competition was good news for everyone.

Well, yes. Theoretically. But a free market into which any man and his dog can enter isn't any kind of market at all but a shambles. Which is exactly what happened here in the UK, with one "small company" after another getting a licence from OFGEM without providing much if anything in the way of proof that (a) they were properly funded; (b) had adequate prior experience and expertise; and (c) had sufficient in the way of resources to run an effective back office for billing and administration, and an effective front office for providing good customer service.

It's frankly unbelievable that so many dysfunctional operators were allowed to enter this market in search of quick 'n easy profits, but that's exactly what happened. Many of them are still here.
    One company to avoid Together Energy, just had 10 months of hell with them, shall be using above site to find a new supplier shortly

Which, to be honest, says it all.

The lesson to be learned is that comparison sites of whatever kind tell only a part of the story. The rest of that story is to be found in consumer websites such as this -- to which you yourself have now made a useful contribution in regard to a, er, one of the "scores and scores of small companies": Total Energy. . . :(
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    This site in the past has called for increased competition and we now have it. These small companies have done their sums, use 'em or lose 'em.
    Thanks for Citizens Advice mention, they and MSE have just confirmed that Tonik Energy are the cheapest for me and GREEN and NO EXIT FEE and NO PROBLEMS so far. Smooth transfer from Scottish Power.
  • Consumerist
    Options
    codger wrote: »
    . . . It's frankly unbelievable that so many dysfunctional operators were allowed to enter this market in search of quick 'n easy profits, but that's exactly what happened. Many of them are still here. . .
    It has long been my view that Ofgem's sole interest has been to get people to switch - even if it means deliberately misleading customers as to its benefits, i.e claimed "savings".
  • wallofbeans
    wallofbeans Posts: 1,400 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I've just compared and it seems even the small companies only save me a few pounds on what I'm currently paying. All are saying me money on what I will be paying in a month or so, but it's always more than I pay now...

Out of the big companies, it seems the one I am already with is offering the best option... but I assume I can't get cashback to switch to a tariff with the supplier I am already with..?
  • Consumerist
    Options
    I've just compared and it seems even the small companies only save me a few pounds on what I'm currently paying. All are saying me money on what I will be paying in a month or so, but it's always more than I pay now...

Out of the big companies, it seems the one I am already with is offering the best option... but I assume I can't get cashback to switch to a tariff with the supplier I am already with..?
    Energy prices are rising across the board at the moment. You will be lucky if you can get a new tariff at the same cost you are currently paying let alone save anything.

If the small companies are saving you anything at all and you can also get some cash-back then they might be worth considering.

Make sure you really will be saving and are not simply relying on the "savings" promises from the comparison sites.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback