Help...MASSIVE, unexplained high summer gas bill

Options
T_Wilson
T_Wilson Posts: 41 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi all,

can any one shed any light on this situation or help me make sense of why my gas bill is MASSIVE for the summer?

I was prompted to update my manual meter readings by my supplier in September, electricity went through no problems. Gas was entered twice and seemingly rejected both times, the automated commentary was it looked a little too high. I had a day off on Friday so phoned through the meter reading. Once it updated the usage for the period from June to September it is way, way, way higher than what we have used.

For June, July, August and Sept it is showing individually as more than triple what we would pay for each month in deepest darkest winter Jan / Feb. We literally have only started using the central heating again this weekend since last winter. There is no way we have used this level of gas. It is showing as £168 for gas alone for each of these months, in winter last year we were using around £40 - £60 per month when there was snow on the ground. No other circumstances have changed in terms of cooking, showers etc

The lady I spoke to suggested ringing back on Monday with an updated reading.

These are the M3 readings from the online account and for each of the past three mornings. The central heating hadn't been used until after this mornings reading

Retrieved from online system

10/02/2019 - 11451

18/06/2019- 11812

Taken in last few days

03/10/2019 09:06 AM 13194.356

04/10/2019 08:07 AM - 13194.691

05/10/2019 07:48 AM- 13196.534

The only thing I can think of is the meter is faulty or we have a gas leak. I can’t smell gas anywhere in the house. The meter is an electric Landis & Gyr one left from the previous owner / supplier so cannot think it is too old.

Has anyone had any similar experiences? Any sage advice for a worried mother?

Comments

• billy2shots
    billy2shots Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    HVe you checked your hot water settings to see what time it is turning on and off. Sometimes a power cut can reset a digital control unit and it set it to ‘on’ (constantly) or if it’s an analog control sometimes they can be faulty and not tell the boiler to turn off when they are supposed to.

Alternatively the boiler may have a fault and be constantly on, however that would probably cause it to overheat and cut out.
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

were the 10/02/2019 - 11451, 18/06/2019- 11812 actual or estimated?

If estimated, what and when was the last actual reading?
  • T_Wilson
    Options
    Hi both, water is in eco mode, it only pre heats on demand

These are actuals not estimates
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Seems a mystery. Start taking reads as often as you can! This is where a smart meter would help! But nevermind, every 2 hours when you are near the meter should do.

Then you will get an idea of what is occuring and when. Hopefully!
  • billy2shots
    billy2shots Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    T_Wilson wrote: »
    Hi both, water is in eco mode, it only pre heats on demand

These are actuals not estimates

And the boiler is only working at the chosen time?
  • T_Wilson
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    Actuals provided by who ?
    And meter reads going back as far as you can ?

By ourselves via the meter.
  • T_Wilson
    Options
    And the boiler is only working at the chosen time?

Yeah hot water on eco mode and heating we only turn on and off when we use it. It's not set on a timer
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you eliminated all the usual suspects: meter misread by customer, meter actually measures cubic feet, some readings are cubic feet/metres but others are kWh, it's not actually your meter, etc?

It's far likely to be something similar to those above rather than a faulty meter or a gas leak. Don't go clutching at straws.

A video of the meter being read would be useful as would scans / photos of bills (personal info redacted of course).
  • T_Wilson
    Options
    Gerry1 wrote: »
    Have you eliminated all the usual suspects: meter misread by customer, meter actually measures cubic feet, some readings are cubic feet/metres but others are kWh, it's not actually your meter, etc?

It's far likely to be something similar to those above rather than a faulty meter or a gas leak. Don't go clutching at straws.

A video of the meter being read would be useful as would scans / photos of bills (personal info redacted of course).

This is the third reading provided to the supplier all in m3 fornat
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    There have been cases on here over the years of the digital display index gas meters going faulty increasing at ridiculous amounts.One was reported as being observed to increase by many units by an engineer sent by the supplier to look at the meter.
    These meters are the E6 type small white ones by siemens/Landis and Gyr
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport