Help...MASSIVE, unexplained high summer gas bill

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Suppliers will be able to gather an accurate yearly usage even if they test it in the colder months when obviously customers use much more than in summer. They also have available historic annual usage of the property .
    In my experience I have found that suppliers will err on the conservative side with meter faults and not attempt to overcharge.
    Give them a chance and see what they come up with after a couple of months usage
  • T_Wilson
    T_Wilson Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So, we are due to get our meter replaced today. The issues with inaccurate gas readings have escalated.

I arrived back from work with two children yesterday to a house with no gas at all. I had to turn it back on via the meter. I presume it is a safety feature that stops gas flowing at such ‘high amounts’. Throughout this I waited patiently on the phone for 30 minutes trying to speak to someone at my energy supplier as I thought it may have been knocked off in anticipation of the meter swap. I was also trying to throw together food for two toddlers that didn’t involve the oven or hob, which was very limited.

The increases in usage have steadily increased. Yesterday the meter records indicate in a 24 hour period we used 215.030 M3 of Gas. This equates to kWh of 2376.123

The energy supplier initially told us their policy isn’t to test gas meters and as such wouldn't do it. One of many inconsistencies and inaccuracies. It’s a real shame as some of the people I have spoken have been completely unarmed with the correct information despite their best intentions… Another one was they told my wife it would take months to recalculate my billing, they told me yesterday they could do it in a week.

I really hope this new meter shows a different reading as I would struggle to know what to do next to be honest.
  • Fifi1199
    Options
    I switched to a smart meter in May and paid two bills with last bill in August. Today I got an adjusted bill back to start of year saying I owe £1400. That is equivalent to a full year for me . I pay every bill quarterly in full. I have had smart meter running for over 6 months so are they saying in 4 months ( jan to April ) bill was 300% of every other bill for same period for what was a mild winter ( I already paid £450 for same quarter already) . I have complained but surely when I got smart meter my readings should have been up to date? I will leave British Gas because of this but will they let me pay off in instalments if they insist this debt is due ? Also how can I prove that usage can’t possibly be Jan to April for a single person in a house with loft and cavity insulation ? Sorry for hijacking another post but couldn’t find out how to start new thread .
  • RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 11,374 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Your post is a bit rambling and not very clear.

Are your Bill's based on estimates or actual meter readings?
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 26 October 2019 at 8:44PM
    Options
    At the start of the Energy Board is a button labelled "New Thread"

Is this Gas ?

Has your account actually been updated to include the new meter ? Look at the meter itself (not the IHD) and note the serial number - while you are there check it is labelled m3.

Now look at your bill - does it have the same serial number and also m3 ?

Please read your meter - watch out for the decimal point. What is the reading on the bill ? Does it have a leter A, C or E against it ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • T_Wilson
    Options
    Based on my experiences through this thread I would suggest the following

- establish whether they are actual readings or estimates
    - Take a daily to thrice daily reading and compare with your previous use
    - Get a Gas engineer to establish whether your appliances are working / you have a leak

If all of those don’t explain the increased usage get your meter tested / replaced

As you will probably notice people implied in this thread, in response to me, that meters rarely go wrong and in some way the massive increase was my error in not understanding bills. When in fact the meter has been faulty for 6 months
  • Talldave
    Talldave Posts: 2,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    How did the new meter work out? All back to normal?
  • T_Wilson
    Options
    Yep, a little over a week in with the new meter and the new reads are way, way , way lower and are back to where they were anticipated to be.

Need a little longer for the energy supplier to revise previous bills.
  • Talldave
    Talldave Posts: 2,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Good news. Nice to be proven right when you just knew something was wrong. Sadly your experience confirms the industry's incompetence in not reacting to almost impossible levels of consumption. But better a faulty meter than a leak that would have put your family at risk.
  • T_Wilson
    Options
    My supplier was pretty much useless and I will be leaving them once the billing issue is fully resolved.

At one point they provided their 'policy' which in fact doesn't comply with the law around testing of meters. Which underlied how inept and ill equipped they are in dealing with this type of issue.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure