Why don't Asda accept AMEX cashback card?

Options

Comments

• YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Don't they allow only the one?

In the absence of anything on their website and/or your paperwork confirming, you're going to have to contact them and ask. However, it's a fairly common requirement in the industry that additional cardholders have to reside at the main cardholders address.
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    Options
    We've used our Amex Platinum Cashback card in Asda for 2 or 3 years, no problem - including yesterday and today, so it can't be a general issue.

Looks like a problem specific to the OP's situation.

Allowing a non card holder to use the principal card ?
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    !!! wrote: »
    You’re still missing the point.
    You shouldn’t be loaning “your” card.

I put “your” like this, because actually the card belongs to Amex.

When you call them, please ensure that you tell them the issue is when you loan your mother “your” card and pin so she can go shopping with it and it’s when she uses it and not you.

And see how they respond.
    No i'm getting the pointless point, i'm just choosing to ignore it.

Absolutely NONE of you have ever loaned a bank or credit card to ANYONE in your lives, ever?

With some of you, possibly not but i doubt this applies throughout.

What i have exception to is the fact that outside of MSE i can talk with people and everyone seems to have done the exact same things you've done in life yet when you come to MSE it's like the only place on planet Earth that everyone is 100% perfect. Nobody here breaks or bends any law or T&C whatsoever...? These are the people who will claim they've never even done 31mph in a 30mph zone, not once ever in their lives because they're the only person on planet Earth who sticks by all laws, all T&Cs. They're perfect.

There's a word for that and it begins with "bull...."

So no, i wont be "ensuring..." anything at all i can ensure you on that since it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever. For starters you're that caught up over me loaning my card to my mother that you think that's when the issue arises. Maybe instead you should've focused on the actual issue reported & realised what family member it happens with - not my mother would be a clue for you.
    It also doesn't make a ##### of difference whether my mother is buying a box of cereal with my card or whether i am. It doesn't have a finger print sensor on the damn thing so if it acts up for her then it'd act up for me on the exact same transaction.

May as well talk about climate change here. It's got about as much to do with the issue i've reported as what you're waffling on about.
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    In the absence of anything on their website and/or your paperwork confirming, you're going to have to contact them and ask. However, it's a fairly common requirement in the industry that additional cardholders have to reside at the main cardholders address.
    I'll get in touch with them. I'm not sure enough to put money on it but i'm fairly sure i saw something which had me thinking a second additional was a no-go, otherwise i would've done it.

If the same address thing is a problem then that'd certainly tick the no-go box.

We've used our Amex Platinum Cashback card in Asda for 2 or 3 years, no problem - including yesterday and today, so it can't be a general issue.

Looks like a problem specific to the OP's situation.

Allowing a non card holder to use the principal card ?
    Careful you don't go down the same road as that other guy.
    A card holder IS using THEIR card when encountering the problem.

I'll put it down to that other person waffling on about a non-card holder as to what's confused you.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    edited 17 November 2019 at 5:50PM
    Options
    The title of this thread is 'Why don't Asda accept AMEX cashback card?'
    The relevant part of the OP is 'My wife has used her card on a few occasions, or at least tried to. She's tried contactless, she's tried chip & pin and she's tried Google Pay - it's rejected each on more than one day.'
    The information about the mother sharing his card is not relevant in any way as it is the wife, not the OP or his mother, who has experienced difficulties on multiple occasions when attempting to use her card at Asda.
    The OP does not clarify exactly how this card was declined or rejected and what actually happens when she attempts to use it.
    Why the OP chose to include the non-relevant information about his card and his mother is unknown. He should have just stuck to the relevant facts.

My best suggestion to the OP would be that your wife returns to Asda, attempts a chip/pin transaction with her card then retains the 'declined' receipt and you then call Amex and ask them why they declined the transaction.
  • msallen
    msallen Posts: 1,494 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    Hw exactly was it 'rejected'. Can you be more precise as to how this rejection occurred?

Can't remember the exact wording, but it was something like "Card not accepted, please try another". It was pretty immediate - i.e. before I was asked for a PIN.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 November 2019 at 5:56PM
    Options
    No i'm getting the pointless point, i'm just choosing to ignore it.

Absolutely NONE of you have ever loaned a bank or credit card to ANYONE in your lives, ever?

With some of you, possibly not but i doubt this applies throughout.

What i have exception to is the fact thhat outside of MSE i can talk with people and everyone seems to have done the exact same things you've done in life yet when you come to MSE it's like the only place on planet Earth that everyone is 100% perfect. Nobody here breaks or bends any law or T&C whatsoever...? These are the people who will claim they've never even done 31mph in a 30mph zone, not once ever in their lives because they're the only person on planet Earth who sticks by all laws, all T&Cs. They're perfect.

There's a word for that and it begins with "bull...."

So no, i wont be "ensuring..." anything at all i can ensure you on that since it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever. For starters you're that caught up over me loaning my card to my mother that you think that's when the issue arises. Maybe instead you should've focused on the actual issue reported & realised what family member it happens with - not my mother would be a clue for you.
    It also doesn't make a ##### of difference whether my mother is buying a box of cereal with my card or whether i am. It doesn't have a finger print sensor on the damn thing so if it acts up for her then it'd act up for me on the exact same transaction.

May as well talk about climate change here. It's got about as much to do with the issue i've reported as what you're waffling on about.
    To be fair, your post #5 seemed to indicate she wasn't 100% sure she'd not entered her own PIN by mistake. Now what do you think would have happened if the cashier had asked to have a quick look? Answer...possibly confiscation, security, and maybe even police. And don't forget till areas in such as Asda have CCTV. Do you think Amex would want to continue the relationship?

This is advice, and you can either take it or leave it...your posting history shows your family's finances (brother, sister and now mother) are so intertwined its starting to look more than a little dangerous!
  • Ben8282
    edited 17 November 2019 at 5:55PM
    Options

Yes I have actually a very long time ago when I was much younger. I had to pay the bill as well when they went on a spending spree which is why I would never do it again.
  • Ben8282
    edited 17 November 2019 at 5:58PM
    Options
    msallen wrote: »
    Can't remember the exact wording, but it was something like "Card not accepted, please try another". It was pretty immediate - i.e. before I was asked for a PIN.
    Then there is something wrong with your card.
    Did you go to customer services and ask them if they were still accepting Amex cards?
  • The_Urbanite
    Options
    msallen wrote: »

That is pretty normal. Sometimes you need to try two or three times before it accepts the card in Asda.

I used an Amex card in Asda today and it was fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure