The Big Adventure

Options

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I noticed an early weekday post from you :rotfl: that *is* an expensive bus ticket, absolutely :eek:

Hope the day goes well :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,930 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Wow buses are expensive :) hadn't expected that !
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • pink_poppy
    pink_poppy Posts: 1,437 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sometimes it's cheaper to get a taxi, especially if there's more than one person.
    'A watched potato will never chit'...
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    One of the things we had been thinking about were 'days out going by bus'. That won't be happening until I get my bus pass, which is about 11 years away!.

The car is home, apart from the service it needed a new battery. I had noticed that it seemed a bit 'flat' when first starting the car, so we agreed to the battery, but we didn't agree to the other thing they found - a small oil leak which would have cost £600 to put right :eek:

There's every chance we'll be trading this car in, within the next couple of months, so it didn't seem worth getting this done

All todays car expenditure has been budgeted for, via the 'bills' account, so that's another thing done and dusted.

We've arranged for a man to come round next week to cut back the large shrubs in the garden and to mend the fence, as a fence pole appears to have snapped off at the base. We've used this chap before, and he is reasonable in price compared to some we have used before.

I suppose we could do this work ourselves, but it'd be very hard work and would take us ages, so I'm happy to spend the money to get it done, to save us a lot of work
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • Secret_Saving_Squirrel
    Options
    Fingers crossed that it isn't too expensive.
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
  • Goldiegirl
    Options
    Fingers crossed that it isn't too expensive.

He's quoted £320 - which for the amount of work to be done, and the fact that he's far cheaper than other people we've used in the past, is acceptable to us.

Another day is speeding past.

This morning we did the supermarket shopping, then we did a little work in the garden cutting back a couple of the smaller shrubs. Then we did a bit more on the de-cluttering front. I think our wardrobes are essentially done now:T

Some things have gone in a charity bag that will be collected tomorrow, and I've also sold some things on eBay over the last few days.

New total 188

I also have a small pile of things to ebay, but that'll be done at a later date, as I'm on my ebay rest period. I still have a few things listed, but won't start anything new for a while.
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi goldiegirl, have been catching up. Fantastic decluttering, you are making the most of this extra time. The work in the garden will be worth doing especially as the weather gets better. Do you grow any fruit and veg?
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • Goldiegirl
    Options
    Hi Cath. :)

We grow some fruit and veg - we haven't got a very large garden, and most of it is laid to lawn, so it's mostly pots on the patio.

Over the last few years, we've gradually increased what we grow, and hopefully we'll extend it a bit more this year.

Our main crop has been tomatoes and strawberries, although we accidently killed off our strawberries last year:o (don't ask!)

We've experimented with dwarf runner beans, but only grew enough for one meal!

Last year we grew some cucumbers that did well, and tried courgettes, which were a raging success !

This year we'll do more tomatoes, courgettes, strawberries ( which we'll keep alive), cucumbers and want to try peppers.

We hope to try a couple of other things too and might experiment with a raised bed.

Eating home grown food is one of those simple pleasures in life, and, although we only grew a small amount, it did genuinely help with the grocery bill
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Goldiegirl wrote: »
    Our main crop has been tomatoes and strawberries, although we accidently killed off our strawberries last year:o (don't ask!)
    I've had strawberry plants for years right at the edge of my patio, but unless I keep a hawkeye on the runners, they only develop about 2 miniscule strawberries per square foot, its really not worth the aggro for me :( I wish it was! I'm going to plant more things that like clay soil ....
    We hope to try a couple of other things too and might experiment with a raised bed.
    I planted my garlic in the equivalent of a raised bed - I'd chucked lots of bought in topsoil on it, and then some bark chippings!
    Eating home grown food is one of those simple pleasures in life, and, although we only grew a small amount, it did genuinely help with the grocery bill
    That's the stage I want to get to!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Goldiegirl
    edited 25 February 2015 at 4:57PM
    Options
    Hi everyone, it's been one of those nondescript days today, nothing much going on at all really

We've been for a walk, and I have a pork and pineapple curry in the slow cooker, first time I've tried that particular recipe.

A couple of tops sold on eBay, so the de-cluttering total has inched up to 189.

PS - thanks KC, garlic might be something to try. I want to grow things we'll use, and garlic seems to be in most recipes that I try
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport