The Big Adventure

Options

Comments

• Secret_Saving_Squirrel
    Options
    £200 is a lot of undies!
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Focussed spending of vouchers at an M&S sale - I love it :) Thats making your money work for you.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Re not knowing what day it is

The M&S 20% off days are actually 19th Feb to 23 Feb. I think I've got it right now. We are thinking of going on Thursday.

Nothing much going on today - grocery shopping(no arguments, hoorah), housework, and marking a start on levelling some of the patio slabs. ( the latter is very hard work)

Northing decluttered today, but I have plans to rummage in the kitchen later in the week
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    am so enjoying retired life via your diary :)
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • Secret_Saving_Squirrel
    Options
    Me too. Just how I want to be living. Have a good evening,

Squirrel x
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
  • misscousinitt
    Options
    :I think there are a few of us living the dream through your diary :)

MCI
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £82, 595.61 (31.08.2019)
    OP's to Date £8500

Renovation Fund:£511.39;
    Nectar Points Balance: approx £30 (31.08.2019)
  • Goldiegirl
    Options
    Well, it's two months today since we stopped work, and I can genuinely say the time has flown past, and that I've barely given my previous job a thought - in fact I think I've already forgotten how to do it!

So far we're not doing anything earth-shattering, but the main thing is the sheer luxury of not being tied to routines.

I think we are guilty of pushing on with things, rather than sitting back - but I we'll get there in the end.

Today, we've done housework, a bit more work on the patio, the washing is on the line (hooray) and I've been moving our CD's around, so they are all neatly stored in one location, and contained within one shelving unit in a cupboard. We probably don't have as many CD's as some people, as we've always been selective about what we buy. I was wondering if I'd be able to declutter any, but when I was looking at them, all but three of them 'brought me joy'. So 3 of them will be on their way out of the house soon. Two are duplicates of CD's we already have, and one is Cliff Richard:o Not sure whether to eBay or charity shop..... probably charity, as I don't think anyone would buy Cliff!

I have a new recipe to try tonight - an oven baked frittata.

A surprise item de-cluttered
    150) 2 vintage hand drills - sold in the last minute of the eBay auction
  • Goldiegirl
    Options
    We went to M&S this morning, for the 20% off day, and were able to buy some clothes that we feel are needed - all bought on either gift card or vouchers - so no actual expenditure :T

As more stuff came into the house, I got to work in the kitchen cupboards to make sure some more things can leave.

As a result the de-cluttering figure has now jumped to 165. The majority is for the charity shop. There's lots of glassware which isn't of particular interest - if it did sell on eBay, the time and effort of packing it would outweigh the funds raised.

I have kept a few things for eBaying, which I'll list in March - I need time away from eBay.

My pension will be paid tomorrow. I had a notification from the pension company that shows I'm getting a tax refund this month, so I'll be getting about £120 more than normal :j

Last nights frittata was nice, which was just as well, as we had leftovers for lunch and there's still enough for lunch for one (me, most likely) tomorrow. Next time I'll do half the size
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thats a nice wodge of extra money from the tax refund :)

I liked the sound of the frittata - but yes, I suppose you can have a **little** bit too much of a good thing :D
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • katep23
    katep23 Posts: 1,406 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 February 2015 at 8:55AM
    Options
    Well done on the tax refund and the M&S "spends"!

I'm thinking of getting an M&S credit card for the £30 voucher and then sticking our council tax on it as it's 0% for 19 months so I'll pay the CT off monthly as I would normally and I'll use the vouchers to stock us up on underwear, tights etc.

Oof, scratch that, just realised that the vouchers can only be used on food and wine - what a shame :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback