Haggle with Virgin - our new guide

Options

Comments

• hpmann
    Options
    Rang up to cancel due to the £2 price increase and was given a credit on my bill to cover this for the next 6 months. My contract ends in January and they advised me to ring them back to see what they could offer....
  • devon_guy
    Options
    Had my increase email. Phoned up to cancel, no offer to tempt me, just told fine, your services will cease on 15th October.
  • TheV2
    Options
    We've been with Virgin for 11 years. Asked if they could match their offer for new customers for the 100mb for £28 they have. We were paying £30 for £50mb so basically I was trying to get a speed upgrade for £2 less.

They wouldn't budge & said all they could do was offer a price freeze for 6 months. Then tried to get them to match BT's offer & they said they don't do price matches. Guy seemed annoyed at the end of the call. :rotfl: Baffling why they couldn't match the new customer offer, especially with how long we've been with them.

Cancelled & gone with BT, no callback from Virgin yet.
  • Futuristic
    Futuristic Posts: 1,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    TheV2 wrote: »
    We've been with Virgin for 11 years. Asked if they could match their offer for new customers for the 100mb for £28 they have. We were paying £30 for £50mb so basically I was trying to get a speed upgrade for £2 less.

They wouldn't budge & said all they could do was offer a price freeze for 6 months. Then tried to get them to match BT's offer & they said they don't do price matches. Guy seemed annoyed at the end of the call. :rotfl: Baffling why they couldn't match the new customer offer, especially with how long we've been with them.

Cancelled & gone with BT, no callback from Virgin yet.

Haha we must have had the same idiot on the phone, he ended my call with 'good luck with sky" and just put the phone down without letting me reply back to that
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    Virgin offer faster BB than BT, so why would they charge less? xDSL BB is nothing like VM’s (up to 350Mb) Service. I used to pay BT a fortune for ISDN2 for 64kb channels x 2, i’m Still cheaper than that!
  • The_Flying_General
    The_Flying_General Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 22 September 2018 at 3:51PM
    Options
    And Virgin are about to lose their unique selling point - speed - to a Vodafone/CityFibre set up which will be rolled out to 12 tier 2 / regional cities and towns in the next year or 2. The offer will supposedly be Gb FTTH, unlike Virgin’s top offering of 300Mb FTTC/coax. Having spoken with Vodafone they said anyone on their current BB plans in an area serviced by the new setup will get an automatic upgrade to 500Mb FTTH as the base offer.

Will make those renewal / retentions calls a bit more entertaining when they can no longer say ‘we’re the fastest around, good luck with ...’
  • Kelly45
    Options
    I wasn't happy about £37.74 a month for virgin broadband 70mb, so I've called them and I'll now be paying £25.74 a month, locked in for 12 months, but the deal lasts 18 months. Saved myself £144 a year... I should have done this sooner!!! :j

It was a breeze too, I barely has to ask and I was also offered the option of £30.74 a month for 100mb, but I'm happy enough with the speed I'm on.
  • batemansxxxb
    Options
    Rang on behalf of a friend who pays £53 month for units phone calls to landlines & mobiles, 63mbs broadband,told them was thinking of going to sky as they offered comparable product for £35 but the agent wouldn’t budge below £42 I even asked to speak to his team leader,but he refused saying they couldn’t do better than what he offered,I hung up & rang back,got the same guy who obviously didn’t recognise me,got same offer but with a £50 bill credit thrown in,so just accepted that
    I know from experience in my area I wasn’t speaking directly to Virgin,but an agent from a sitel call centre, must’ve been told not to give much away or lose their bonus
  • misterrossi
    Options
    I've just walked away from Virgin. I wanted to downgrade, been out of contract for a few months now and was paying for a bunch of channels that we never use. Looking on their site they are currently offering Mix and 200Mb to new customers for £47, they initially offered me the same for £60, which I declined. After saying I would leave they got that down to £55, when I pointed out BT would offer a similar TV package + BT Sport and FTTC they dug their heals in and said they couldn't do any more.

The whole thing is stupid, I'm sure in 18 months when BT put their prices up I'll be back and on those new customer rates.
  • Christyt
    Options
    I was on £28 /month for 100mb fibre BB, Mix TV, Phone rental.
    When it went up to £46 (due to then go to £55 a month) I phoned up and said it was too much as I just needed Freeview channels and only have 2 devices on at once.

They offered me to reduce BB to 50mb and take off MixTV so back on Freeview and pay £35.50 for six months and £39 for next 6 months.

Bit better - was 1st offer and maybe I could have pushed harder, but it was good enough and I wasn't in the mood to push! Worth a call anyway.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback