PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Options

Comments

• Franalamadingdong
    Options
    Caronc, looking at next month's menu I'll be needing at least 7 tins, so I'll be stocking up. I don't think "eat the food you have in the house" is a particularly new concept, and probably not the best business model as no one will be buying my magic beans, they'll be eating their own beans! I thought I'd remedy the loosing weight situation by having some chocolates I was given for my birthday.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,627 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    out:
    2 sweet chilli chicken burgers (from a MuscleFood bundle)
    1 venison burger (there are 3 of us so the freezer fills up with odd 1s)
    2 burger buns (I don't really eat bread)
    will later use some oven fries

in:
    nothing
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    Options
    Soworried wrote: »
    Freezer inventory done.
    Hm vegetable lasagne x3
    Salmon fillet x 7
    Carrot batons x4
    Parsnip batons x4
    Brie
    Pastry scraps (I freeze these every time then end up with a full batch)
    Coated Chicken strips x2 x1 now
    Cocktail sausages x5
    Oven chips x4
    Mashed swede x8 now x2
    Chinese Pork chop x5
    Black chick peas x 10 (I boil kg at a time and freeze) x5 now
    Sausages x1 (Could maybe stretch to 2)
    Chicken nuggets x2
    Steak x3 x2 now
    Cheese topped baguettes x8 now 7
    Smoked salmon (Sandwich or cracker type) 2.5 full packs. May save for family coming at easter.
    Sausages wrapped in bacon x4 x2 now
    HM chilli x1
    Random slice of bread x1
    Diced chicken x4
    Wrap x3
    Meat loaf x8
    Ham hock bites x4
    Lemon cheese cake- Full one, may keep till Easter
    Prawns- Full pkt. Again may keep until Easter
    Getting there with it. Down to one freezr with gaps now, going to keep going with it until the weekend then restock :)
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • FurryBeastOz
    FurryBeastOz Posts: 1,380 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MallyGirl wrote: »
    out:
    2 sweet chilli chicken burgers (from a MuscleFood bundle)
    1 venison burger (there are 3 of us so the freezer fills up with odd 1s)
    2 burger buns (I don't really eat bread)
    will later use some oven fries

in:
    nothing

My freezer dive tonight is a Musclefood Melt-in-the-middle burger. DH having an Aldi Wagyu Burger. (Delicious but very fatty) Along with 2 defrosted Wholemeal muffins instead of buns.

Only having 1/2 the soup today so that will be lunch tomorrow. Will take out some Thai chicken curry and another MF chicken breast for tomorrow. I'm late so will pre-cook a large batch of brown rice today. DH will have the curry and I will use the last of last nights sauce on the chicken.

Again, NOTHING added:T
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    Mmmm. 26lb at 1/7/18. Oops:o
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 January 2017 at 10:27PM
    Options
    On-line shop today so a few bits added
    In to stores:-
    2 tins Heinz Chicken & Sweetcorn soup. I don't eat a huge amount of tinned soup but these are my stand by and were on special offer. I'd also used my last can so they're not breeding
    Lasagne sheets - bought to make lasagne for a girl's night next week
    2 part baked baguettes - for above girl's night
    2 bags "posh" crisps - as above
    so apart from the soup nothing that doesn't have a planned use
    In to the freezer
    2 packs minced beef for afore mentioned lasagne

Assorted fresh veg, milk and bread also bought as well as chicken thighs but not counting these as they all have a planned use. Thighs will be used on Friday for sister's birthday meal so not adding to my meat stash.

Out of stores:-
    1 tin chopped tomatoes
    Out of freezer:-
    8 rashers bacon and a bag of passatta
    portion of chilli con carne
    Bacon and passatta are to go with the chicken thighs. Tinned toms have been used to make some tom sauce as with either make HM pizza or pasta and sauce tonight
  • JensFeet
    JensFeet Posts: 83 Forumite
    Options
    Wow everybody is doing so well - although I'm also having the cooking from the freezer and needing to put back in. Only there's no room whatsoever. Still... So I have started cooking less but even that is difficult and I have EVEN had to throw some unused up food this week. I HATE waste I really really do but I haven't been able to eat much at all this last few days. Fridge is filling faster than I like with plates of leftovers of mine so I think I am going to bin the non-rescuable stuff and just cook less.

Out of freezer:
    2 chicken breasts (madras and korma)
    4 black pudding burgers (burger and salad)
    3 small beefburgers
    pack of lamb mince (fakeaway donner kebab and salad)
    2 packs of bacon chops (grilled with steamed veg)
    4 mini onion bahji

Out of cupboards and fridge:
    2 tins chopped tomatoes
    Stock cubes, spices, curry paste, small bit of creamed coconut
    rice
    sirloin steak
    pork belly slice (although this didn't get cooked last night as again I had no evening meal - it's going to need cooked today as was YS when it was put in freezer but my DS is making spag bol for everyone tonight - I might cook it and refreeze for another time so at least won't go off or in the bin)

Bought:
    fresh burger buns
    fresh salad x2, coleslaw
    milk, single cream, butter (was on the last pack)
    fresh bread
    wafer ham and wafer chicken
    onions
    fruit juice for kids with tea (XXL 2 litres multifruit for 99p in Lidl and they love it)
    fresh fruit
    yogurts for kids after tea
    fresh garlic
    also bought loo rolls, toiletries and dishwasher tablets and spent an amazing £44 in last 10 days... That's awesome for us!!

Meal plan for week:
    M blaggis burger (F) and salad
    T sirloin steak (F) / belly slice (F), salad, coleslaw
    W spag bol (I have loads of courgettes in fridge but I'm the only one who will eat so might make some courgetti for me) minced beef (F)
    T sausage (F) and beans casserole, carrot and neep mash
    F full English (sausage, black pudding, haggis, hash brown all (F); bacon, beans and eggs in already)
    S grilled sukuk (F) and halloumi (fridge), salad and actifry chips

I have loads of really really sad looking parsnips in fridge so feel that I really should make some spicy parsnip soup as it is a favourite of mine and no fat so should have no cause for pain. But... That's no protein (which I am meant to concentrate on) and there are still 9 or 10 500g brie pieces in the fridge and I have read it's not safe to freeze. So that's making me feel bad although I am not concerned by the date so I'm sure it will continue to ripen while I wait for my pancreas to feel happier eating it!!!

Oh... AND!! I interviewed for my new job yesterday and WAS OFFERED IT so just awaiting reference requests and confirmation... So so so so excited to get back to Midwifery as a Community Midwife!! And having wages again... WOW!!!
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,627 Senior Ambassador
    Options
    JensFeet wrote: »
    W spag bol (I have loads of courgettes in fridge but I'm the only one who will eat so might make some courgetti for me) minced beef (F)
    Oh... AND!! I interviewed for my new job yesterday and WAS OFFERED IT so just awaiting reference requests and confirmation... So so so so excited to get back to Midwifery as a Community Midwife!! And having wages again... WOW!!!

Congratulations on the job!

I grate a carrot into the spag bol mix to make it go further but I have also been known to grate a courgette in there - my courgette hating DH and DD didn't notice and I didn't tell
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Jensfeet - if your brie is made from pasteurised milk (it should say so the label) most supermarket ones are, it's ok to freeze. It's the one's made from unpasteurised milk that carry the risk of listeria breeding while frozen
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    Options
    I freeze brie all the time, as you'll see it's on my freezer list :D
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Options
    JensFeet wrote: »

Jensfeet - Congratulations

Out:- freezer
    60g chestnuts
    60g white bread
    leftover cooked turkey
    6 slices bread

Out:- cupboards/fridge/pantry
    60g apricots
    60g onion
    6 sausages
    12 M Berry HM biscuits
    egg