Ford Ecoboost - engine failure

Options

Comments

• TickersPlaysPop
    Options
    Arklight wrote: »
    There’s a class action suit brewing in the US. Ford have really ducked up with these engines.

What class action is that in USA?

There is an open group action in the UK over Ecoboost issues, that people can register an interest in... with no commitment...

http://www.roscoereid.com/press/multi-million-pound-ecoboost-engine-compensation-claim-launched-ford/
    Peace.
  • TickersPlaysPop
    TickersPlaysPop Posts: 753 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 22 August 2018 at 12:53PM
    Options
    Now at 1100 registration plate numbers, with 150 cases in the last month.

Each engine failure at Ford's prices means a bill of ~£6000, in cars worth around £8000, with many people tied into finance agreements.

BBC to run national programmes on prime time TV, each tailored to each region with interviews of those affected from all different UK regions. BBC1 Inside Out, 1st October 7.30pm

To see full reg' list.... and instructions of how to have a chance of 100% free engine from Ford... even when out of warranty... see the post in 'announcements' section of the publicly open FaceBook group:

https://www.facebook.com

Group name: FordEcoboostNightmare
    Peace.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    If you search Ford Ecoboost, it now suggests Ecoboost problems and Ecoboost engine failure as suggested searches. There's 1100 known failures, but that doesn't mean others haven't failed that are yet to be diagnosed.... I suspect the numbers will continue to rise rapidly.

Is it related to the turbo? I've not really read up on these engines yet.
  • Arklight
    Arklight Posts: 3,171 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Stoke wrote: »
    If you search Ford Ecoboost, it now suggests Ecoboost problems and Ecoboost engine failure as suggested searches. There's 1100 known failures, but that doesn't mean others haven't failed that are yet to be diagnosed.... I suspect the numbers will continue to rise rapidly.

It's supposed to be related to the degas coolant hose breaking. But there are so many people who have had theirs fixed or recalled who still went on to suffer complete engine failure that that looks more like a symptom than a cause.

It seems like a badly designed, overburdened small engine, dragging a mid size car around, and eventually giving out. I came within a whisker of buying one myself but only after an argument with Mrs Arklight where she was adamant that we should get a Japanese car, that I gave up on it.
  • hollie.weimeraner
    Options

There appear to be a number of issues with the degas hose rupturing one of the main causes. Lack of coolant sensor means there is no warning when the coolant loss happens. As it's an alloy engine working at very high temperatures it wrecks the head and block thus necessitating a new engine.
    If you look at the posts on FB though there are a number of different issues but basically they all cause the engine to overheat.
  • Stoke
    Options
    Arklight wrote: »
    It's supposed to be related to the degas coolant hose breaking. But there are so many people who have had theirs fixed or recalled who still went on to suffer complete engine failure that that looks more like a symptom than a cause.

It seems like a badly designed, overburdened small engine, dragging a mid size car around, and eventually giving out. I came within a whisker of buying one myself but only after an argument with Mrs Arklight where she was adamant that we should get a Japanese car, that I gave up on it.

This is something that has been concerning me for years and I discussed with an engineer, at length, a few years back. It was one of those things, I felt, we wouldn't know for at least 10 years, but I'm starting to think we might be knowing even earlier.

Years ago, a manufacturer would usually design a car to suit a target market, and then tailor the engines to suit the vehicle based on target market, size, handling characteristics etc. To me, this is the right way of thinking about it.....

That has seemingly changed at big car manufacturers HQ's. I feel the shift in priorities towards getting economy has resulted in manufacturers designing engines and then shoe horning them to work in any car they can, probably so they can produce low tax options. I came to this conclusion after Ford released the 2012 Focus with a 1.0 engine that produced 125 bhp.........

That is all wrong. Firstly, no car the size of a Focus should have an engine that small. Secondly, a 1 litre engine shouldn't be rated at 125BHP.

Obviously those figures were achieved with the help of forced induction and it was this that was really concerning me. Loading these cars with small engines with turbos just screamed engine failure a few years down the line. I figured it would be the turbos that went pop, but maybe it's something else? Not good though, not good at all.
  • hollie.weimeraner
    Options
    That is all wrong. Firstly, no car the size of a Focus should have an engine that small. Secondly, a 1 litre engine shouldn't be rated at 125BHP.

How about 202bhp?

https://www.evo.co.uk/ford/focus/12720/ford-ecoboost-racer-sets-ring-time
  • Stoke
    Options

That isn't really a road car though is it? That's a bit like a one off.... Formula 1 teams etc strip engines all the time, but most road going cars never have their engine taken apart, so they need to last.
  • hollie.weimeraner
    Options
    That isn't really a road car though is it? That's a bit like a one off.... Formula 1 teams etc strip engines all the time, but most road going cars never have their engine taken apart, so they need to last.

Yes I understand that. It was a tongue in cheek post though.

But the thing is they use these as development issues
  • Arklight
    Arklight Posts: 3,171 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The reports of failures are accelerating over time. It looks like a lot of 2012 engines are really at the age where they are at risk of failure.

This could be a massive problem for Ford. Or the people who own Fords. Depending on how you look at it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure