Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Used postage stamps - who wants some? MERGED

Options

Comments

• kscour
    kscour Posts: 665 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Also worth checking if your local primary school has a stamp club - the day to day 1st class etc stamps wouldn't be alot of good to them but they'd probably be extremely grateful for any commemorative or foreign stamps. A few of our local schools are now running these clubs and they are extremely popular.

If you can't find a ME charity collecting them perhaps you could sort through them and sell them on ebay (giving the money raised to an ME charity). Mixed lots are sold as "kiloware" if you search ebay you'll see what I mean. I have bought stamps on ebay in the past from someone who sold them on for a local charity.
  • lamb7994
    lamb7994 Posts: 535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Help The Aged also collects used stamps.
    These can be taken into any of our shops.

James
  • scuzz
    scuzz Posts: 1,995 Forumite
    Options
    Guide Dogs for the Blind also take stamps. Takes a kilo to feed a puppy for the day
    Comping, Clicking & Saving for Change
  • jet44
    jet44 Posts: 44 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I buy postage stamps from charities to raise funds. I am not a business but just a private individual who wants to help any charity I can to fundraise in this way. I am a stamp collector so that helps too and I love sorting through to see if I can find a new stamp for my collection. The waste is recycled afterwards so it cuts down in that way too.
    I work with around 100 charities to fundraise so if anyone is keen to collect stamps to raise funds for their charity, school, organisation please feel free to let me know.
    It won't make a fortune but it is better than throwing them away.
  • klondyke
    klondyke Posts: 463 Forumite
    Options
    scuzz wrote:
    Guide Dogs for the Blind also take stamps. Takes a kilo to feed a puppy for the day

Didn't know they ate stamps!!!!!
  • Kilty_2
    Kilty_2 Posts: 5,818 Forumite
    Options
    What good are used postage stamps to charities?

Someone please enlighten me :confused:
  • lamb7994
    lamb7994 Posts: 535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Charities can sell them by weight to companies.
    There's a few companies about who will buy them.

James
  • CarolnMalky
    CarolnMalky Posts: 14,254 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I send my used stamps to a guy who advertised in a national newspaper and does his work for Animal Charities.
    I have been sending them for over a year, get christmas card and thank you letters from him.
    If you obey all the rules...you miss all the fun!! Katherine Hepburn
  • Princessa_2
    Options
    Hello!

I remember, when I was younger, that my Nan used to cut used stamps off her post, and give them to a charity. I don't know anything else about it, and was wondering if anyone else did? I don't know if I've totally mixed up what was happening, or if this isn't needed anymore, but I thought I'd ask since I get alot of mail and if they can be used somehow they may aswell be.

Thanks!
  • 33pelter
    33pelter Posts: 1,687 Forumite
    Options
    We give our old stamps to the Girl Guides who often collect them but I dont know what they use them for. You could try your local church/girl guide branch?
    "Well, we are a Christian country, it is an important part of our make-up and I don't see any reason to change." David Cameron
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure