Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Used postage stamps - who wants some? MERGED

Options

Comments

• hjb123
    hjb123 Posts: 32,002 Forumite
    Options
    I also collect stamps thought havent sent them to charity yet - hoping to find an ME charity that uses them.

I have found it so easy just to tear the stamp off the envelope ready for the charity - otherwise it would have been going in the bin
    Weight Loss - 102lb
  • Lord_Gardener
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions - we have a huge envelope full from this past years collection!
    I'm mad!!!! :rotfl::jand celebrating everyday every year!!!
  • Lozlie
    Lozlie Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you, I will do this especially once all the xmas cards start coming through the door !
  • KatieKins
    KatieKins Posts: 443 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,
    I am probably being really thick here - but is it all used stamps which you save from envelopes - i.e. even plain old second/first class ones??
    Thanks
  • hjb123
    hjb123 Posts: 32,002 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah any old ones - used - ones that have come through the post to you. Just tear them off the envelopes leaving a slight border round them. ANy will do whatever denomination or value they are!
    Weight Loss - 102lb
  • KatieKins
    KatieKins Posts: 443 Forumite
    Options
    hjb123 wrote:
    Yeah any old ones - used - ones that have come through the post to you. Just tear them off the envelopes leaving a slight border round them. ANy will do whatever denomination or value they are!

Thanks :p I had never heard of this before. It's a pity it's not more widely advertised, Im sure many people would be prepared to save their stamps for charity.
  • Princessa_2
    Options
    Yeah, it's such an easy thing to do, isn't it. The amount that must get thrown out. I'm still not sure what they do with them though, someone told me they sell them on to collectors, but surely 1st class everyday stamps can't be worth anything?
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,061 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Princessa wrote:
    Yeah, it's such an easy thing to do, isn't it. The amount that must get thrown out. I'm still not sure what they do with them though, someone told me they sell them on to collectors, but surely 1st class everyday stamps can't be worth anything?
    I think you'll find you can buy 'mixed packs' which probably contain a lot of boring stamps everyone's already got, along with hopefully one or two more interesting ones.

From my stamp collecting days (!) if I got a duplicate I would compare the two, and if the 'new' one was better than the 'old' one, I'd swap them over in my album.

Also stamps are really going to become increasingly collectible, if you ask me, because more and more of us are printing our own postage at home, or if you go to the PO with a parcel they just print a boring old sticky label. No romance in that at all! :rotfl:
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Neldo
    Options
    A new website has just launched that has loads of information about where to get rid of stamps, currency, glasses, phones and almost anything else you can think of. It has loads of other information about charities too.

Check it out - http://www.intelligentgiving.com
  • davepitchford
    Options
    Intelligent Giving has a page devoted to giving away your stamps (and mobiles and specs and everything else). They list 14 charities at http://www.intelligentgiving.com/how_to_give/shift_your_junk/coins_stamps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure