Up for a laugh? A 23 year old's guide on how (not) to be mortgage free

Options

Comments

• Blibble
    Blibble Posts: 503 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Just back from seeing OH's grandparents, been a very long day. OH's grandad regrettably has dementia and is in a care home, and grandmother is unable to stay in their house anymore as she's losing her sight. So it's been a 3-hour round trip to start packing up 50 years worth of their possessions, and we're about 1/3 of the way through it. Appointment made to go back in 2 weeks, but they really do need a hand with it.

Don't even feel guilty stopping off at the nice farm shop service station on the M6 for far too much dark ale. Social spends budget can sod off tonight. :D
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,898 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Don't feel guilty.... that sounds like a very long and stressful/sad day. And although I've never been to the farm shop services, I know where you mean and I've always wanted to visit (we're usually heading to South Lakes from the south, so don't go past it!)
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    Those services are the best.... same as the new ones in Gloucester and they also have a set north of the English border too. Pricy, but then not massively compared to service stations generally.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I live in Gloucester - and the services are good enough that local people go there for lunch :D
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    greent wrote: »
    I live in Gloucester - and the services are good enough that local people go there for lunch :D

That is high praise for services indeed. Why can't they all be like this? Would make travelling so much more pleasant.
  • Blibble
    Blibble Posts: 503 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    themadvix wrote: »
    Don't feel guilty.... that sounds like a very long and stressful/sad day. And although I've never been to the farm shop services, I know where you mean and I've always wanted to visit (we're usually heading to South Lakes from the south, so don't go past it!)

Ooh it's great, we always have to go whenever we're heading up that way! And yep, there is one going northbound, so there's no excuse.

They had some YS cheese in there on Sunday which was tempting, but then realised it was still twice the price of normal cheese :D
  • therocket_2
    Options
    I have to agree that Gloucester services are a cut above! Last time me and Mrs R headed south, I had the most amazing homemade sausage roll that I couldnt stop talking about it for the rest of our journey (much to Mrs R's annoyance!!)
    It's now our go-to stop everytime we head south, whether DS likes it or not haha!
    MFW - diary has finally arrived!
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    therocket wrote: »
    I have to agree that Gloucester services are a cut above! Last time me and Mrs R headed south, I had the most amazing homemade sausage roll that I couldnt stop talking about it for the rest of our journey (much to Mrs R's annoyance!!)
    It's now our go-to stop everytime we head south, whether DS likes it or not haha!

Was it the one with the fennel & apple marmalade? I've got the recipe for that one and it is amazing.
  • Viking_mfw
    Options
    Westmorland services are the best services in the world! We stop there on our way to Scotland every year :)
  • therocket_2
    Options
    Certainly is wish!! How can I tempt the recipe from you?! You might save us a lot of fuel money haha!!
    MFW - diary has finally arrived!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport