Up for a laugh? A 23 year old's guide on how (not) to be mortgage free

Options

Comments

• wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    Blibble wrote: »
    Any chance they have a recipe for a no-bake cheesecake? We made one last night as we were entertaining some old university friends, and it was like melted ice cream. :D

Been a lovely weekend so far, and the weather's taken a turn for the better which is putting us both in a good mood. We're off to a wedding fair this afternoon as it's just up the road. And it's pay day on Wednesday. Woop woop!

No idea, cheesecake (in any form) is of the devil if you ask me.
    You should have a cheese course and then dessert and not mix the two together.

Although - did you by any chance use any low fat or fat free ingredients?
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • Blibble
    Blibble Posts: 503 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Ah now come on Wish, it's a match made in heaven. Cheese on it's own? Great! Cake on it's own? Even better! Put the two together? Phwoaaarrr!

None of the ingredients were low fat - worked out this afternoon the issue was we didn't leave it to set long enough. Went to tidy the kitchen after the previous evening's merriment, and lo and behold there's a lovely portion of cheesecake solidified to the kitchen counter where it leaked out :D.

Been thinking a wee bit about targets for next month; I'm on around £630 total overpayment over 2 months and would love to hit £1000 by the end of March. It's a nuts feeling - £1000 of extra income?! And it doesn't feel like much effort, either - just working an extra hour before or after my shift, getting up half an hour earlier in the mornings to do some surveys, and generally being accountable for every penny.

We could do better, though, and the easy money-making wins are starting to become thin on the ground (no easy survey cash-outs, not much worthwhile stuff left to eBay).

Anyway, off to watch Strike now on Beeb1. Hope you all had a fab weekend! :j
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    Pleased you found out the issue with the devil food... sorry, you won't change my mind on that one.

I only asked about low fat ingredients as they can affect the consistency of food.

If you find out how to make £1k amonth, let me know... if I did that I can be mortgage free at the end of our next fixed rate deal ending.
  • Blibble
    Options
    If you find out how to make £1k amonth, let me know... if I did that I can be mortgage free at the end of our next fixed rate deal ending.

If anyone finds out how to make £1000 a month, you can be first in line behind me; I meant I'm hoping to have made £1000 over the 3 months I'll have been actively OP'ing (come the end of March) :rotfl:
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,904 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Mmm... cheesecake..... (Agree with wish about low fat though - cousin once offered to bring a cheesecake and she'd used low fat cream cheese and it just didn't set).

That's great going on the OPs Blibble - it is amazing how small changes really add up!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• therocket_2
    Options
    LOVE cheesecake and will not have a bad word said against it!! Haha!

Mrs R once made a no-bake cheesecake too Blibble and had the same happen to her - I did offer to lick it off the kitchen counter but I just got a strange look (no idea why!!)

Also, good work on the £1k in 3 months if you can do it!
    MFW - diary has finally arrived!
  • daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 1,222 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lemon cheesecake - no bake

Melt 2oz butter, stir in 4oz crushed digestive biscuits. Press into a dish and leave to set for an hour.

Mix 1/2 tin of condensed milk, a tub of Elmlea (8oz size) double cream (the blue one) and the juice of 2 lemons. Whip and spread over the Base. Keep in fridge overnight and the flavour deepens.

You can use limes instead of lemon if you prefer. You can also eat the rest of the condensed milk straight out the tin over the next day or so :T

Daisy xx
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
  • Blibble
    Options
    Pay-day today - favourite time of the month moving money over to their respective pots :D. Anyone else get far too excited about looking at how much money isn't going to be spent?!

It's only a short 4-week month, so there's no reason we shouldn't be able to smash the groceries budget & that's going to be my aim for the month. I've got social spends largely under control & in budget, but the food always seems to escape me! Well no more - £200 for the month, and will keep a track of every penny on here! Will also take social spends money out in cash at the start of the month, so no faffing about going over budget on debit card.

OH has her pay-review today, and by the sounds of it she's confident of a cheeky rise. OH works for a small independent company, but they've had a successful year and she's quietly confident of getting something. Here's hoping :T

Only major spends pencilled in thus far for the month are 1x trip to see OH's grandparents again, and 5 lots of present buying (March is a mad month in our families!) which is all budgeted for. Oh, and one large night out with a larger group of old boys & girls from university at the end of the month :beer:
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    Ha ha. I love the monthly money shuffle too.
    In fact, I can't wait until this evening and I can empty all my ynab pots from Feb that still have money in them.
  • Blibble
    Options
    Phwoar, ain't 'alf grim out there! Snow's died down, but the wind is absolutely insane :eek:

Good news today is that OH got a pay-rise from her pay review :T:j:T:j. £2000 a year - I've encouraged her to put most of towards her pension (tedious? yep! But probably sensible) however having said that I wouldn't mind a tad more spending money :D

My pay increase still hasn't come through; been trying to organise meeting with manager who's dealing with it however she's been off sick & when she has been in it keeps getting postponed, so no movement there. A colleague today did indicate that there might be a different job in the pipeline for me however, which is why she keeps avoiding having a chat about it - very mysterious and don't really know what to think. Knowing my company it'll just get lost in an endless sea of paperwork and never happen :rotfl:

Was very brave this evening and resisted going to pub with OH & her sister to celebrate. No drinks for me unless it's one of the 5 pints in the fridge, or at darts on a Tuesday night! :A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure