Great 'Best Value Cabin Luggage' Hunt

Options

Comments

• Casanova
    Casanova Posts: 49 Forumite
    edited 28 August 2009 at 11:32AM
    Options
    I hardly ever take a suitcase any more as I find the cabin baggage is plenty if you use it wisely. Its good to be strict, otherwise you take far more than you need.

Last year I went to Italy for a week and was struggling to fit everything in within the weight and size restrictions. So I found a sturdy cardboard box that was about the right size, and shortened it by about 7cm so it was exactly the specified cabin baggage size in all 3 dimensions. With thin cardboard walls and light weight, it has to be the most efficient use of the allowance! I used a couple of straps to keep the lid down (it was a top-hat style of box, if that makes any sense).

Granted, I felt a bit self conscious carrying around a cardboard box around the airports, but I'm damned if I'm paying Ryanair any more than I have to! It was very satisying when asked to fit it in the size checker and it was a perfect snug fit :) Also, it's only a cardboard box so it doesn't matter if it gets a bit battered, and you can write your name, destination and mobile number on the outside in permanent marker (or decorate it!).

Getting round the weight restriction is easy - take the densest items (for me, shoes and books usually) and put them in the pockets of your coat (wear the coat). Keep wearing more and more layers until you are within the limit. You only have to do this for the stage where they weigh it (if they bother). Then as soon as you get through to the other side, you can stop looking strange and hot, and put it all back in the case/box. Most airports have a set of scales that you can use to hone your bag to the perfect weight - I often get mine as accurate as 9.98 or 9.99 kilos.
  • DMc_2
    DMc_2 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 26 August 2009 at 12:01PM
    Options
    jujugaboo wrote: »
    Also remember it is only one clear plastic bag your allowed to take with your liquids under 100ml - I had three and they were not happy!

I think that you are allowed a second clear bag if one is for medication that you need to carry, they have to allow you to take that through.
  • SCROOGE
    SCROOGE Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    Lots of supermarkets/Boots/Superdrug etc sell most toiletries in 100mls or smaller now which should be enough for a week or two away. As others have pointed out, you are limited to 1000mls in one clear, sealable plastic bag, which isn't too bad. Please bear in mind when measuring the case that the wheels MUST be included. With online check-in, hand luggage is rarely if ever weighed at the gate by Aer Lingus/Ryanair, but I have noticed recently before certain Ryanair flights staff have been eye-balling hand luggage rather too closely. Also remember that if you are transiting and have bought normal-sized toiletries airside, you will almost certainly have to discard them as you go through more security at the transit airport. (Always strikes me as a bit of a nonsense, this!)
  • gazzebo69
    Options
    Casanova wrote: »
    I hardly ever take a suitcase any more as I find the cabin baggage is plenty if you use it wisely. Its good to be strict, otherwise you take far more than you need.

Last year I went to Italy for a week and was struggling to fit everything in within the weight and size restrictions. So I found a sturdy cardboard box that was about the right size, and shortened it by about 7cm so it was exactly the specified cabin baggage size in all 3 dimensions. With thin cardboard walls and light weight, it has to be the most efficient use of the allowance! I used a couple of straps to keep the lid down (it was a top-hat style of box, if that makes any sense).

Granted, I felt a bit self conscious carrying around a cardboard box around the airports, but I'm damned if I'm paying Ryanair any more than I have to! It was very satisying when asked to fit it in the size checker and it was a perfect snug fit :) Also, it's only a cardboard box so it doesn't matter if it gets a bit battered, and you can write your name, destination and mobile number on the outside in permanent marker (or decorate it!).

Getting round the weight restriction is easy - take the densest items (for me, shoes and books usually) and put them in the pockets of your coat (wear the coat). Keep wearing more and more layers until you are within the limit. You only have to do this for the stage where they weigh it (if they bother). Then as soon as you get through to the other side, you can stop looking strange and hot, and put it all back in the case/box. Most airports have a set of scales that you can use to hone your bag to the perfect weight - I often get mine as accurate as 9.98 or 9.99 kilos.

Now thats what I call moneysaving.....
  • Gambit
    Gambit Posts: 584 Forumite
    Options
    woodkit wrote: »
    Just got some cracking cabin luggage from TJ HUghes. reduced to £20 from £50 rrp. Case weighs less than 2kg and measurements are 49 x 34 x 18 cm, apparently the worlds lightest case and it definately feels it compared to my hard case
    link below, currently showing out of stock but loads available instore.

Sorry unable to add link as new poster so look on TJ HUghes wensite for suitcase and look for the 19cm case in the SUB 0 - G collection, available in blue, black or red.

Here's the link although they seem to be out of stock at the mo!
    Current Debt Owed To Family: [STRIKE]£12,575[/STRIKE] £9,000 :wall:
    Estimated Debt Free... [STRIKE]Dec 2012[/STRIKE] Aug 2012

:xmassmileChristmas 2010 Sealed Pot Challenge #477 :xmassmile
  • Snowy2cv6
    Options
    For overhead luggage we use items similar to Item no. 260467576807 on Fleabay, the handles are long enough to carry over the shoulder too. Just keep an eye on measurements. They have worked perfectly.
    I use minature zip lock bags, for decanting liquid makeup, moisturisers etc. into and conditioner/shampoo etc. into the readily available small plastic bottles. also like a previous post, wear all the heavy stuff, we have managed cold destinations like this i.e. Christmas markets. Bon Voyage!!
  • SiuLoong
    SiuLoong Posts: 218 Forumite
    Options
    Be careful with small cases with wheels.. I have a small case just on the limit for Easyjet and have flown hand luggage only a number of times with no problems (online check in) but recently needed to check a hold bag as well and was asked to fit my handluggage into the frame which would've been fine except for the wheels.. no leaway so I had to check it. Grumble grumble..
  • the_grizz
    the_grizz Posts: 36 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Take a bar of soap instead of shower gel, Seemples
  • Lisinia
    Options
    The size of toiletries you can take on board is limited and if you're going to an apartment then you need to decant into smaller bottles. However, if you're going to a hotel there is usually a supply of shampoo, shower gel and soap - all included in the cost of the room! You need only take a small tube of toothpaste and deodorant (a solid one fits nicely into your plastic bag.) However, do bear in mind that should you wish to bring back local drink from your holiday (and it will always be much more expensive at the airport) you'll need hold luggage. Cut down on the weight by decanting into plastic water or coke bottles. Wrap them in a couple of carrier bags then shove them into socks to pad and protect. If you're intending to buy at the airport and have flown budget be aware that some of the smaller airports that these airlines use have very limited Duty Free areas and some have none at all, as we discovered when we flew into Dinan! If you buy perfume in the Duty Free area on the way out, make sure that the bottle is less than 100 mls, otherwise you won't be able to bring it back in with you!
  • powerjohn
    powerjohn Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    We've used these for several years now; they're strong, fairly capacious, and look decent, and also they have the great advantage that they fit bmibaby's smaller cabin baggage size restrictions. Look on your airline's website - some of them demand smaller cases than the sizes usually quoted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure