PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Can you freeze eggs?

Options

Comments

• filigree_2
    filigree_2 Posts: 1,025 Forumite
    Options
    You can use the eggs in recipes that freeze. Some icecream recipes are based on custard, they use lots of eggs.
  • pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can you? I've got 37.
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
  • LydiaSophia
    LydiaSophia Posts: 378 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Don't think so - can't you try and use them up?

make some cakes and biscuits etc that will keep.

Have omlettes and hard boiled egg sarnies.

Why have you got 37 eggs?
    Lydia

:T :beer:
  • Trow
    Trow Posts: 2,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    From the BBC website:
    Eggs can be frozen, but you'll need to crack them first. To freeze whole eggs, break them into a bowl and beat a little to blend. Tip into a freezer bag or airtight plastic container, label the container and use within three months.
    If you're separating eggs for particular recipes, you'll often end up with a surplus of yolk or white. These can be frozen to be used another time. It's best to freeze them in small batches, as these will be most useful. Be sure to label the number of eggs that go into each freezer bag.
    Egg whites can simply be tipped into freezer bags and labelled, whereas egg yolks need a pinch of salt or sugar beaten in (depending on whether they'll be used for sweet or savoury dishes later). This will stop the yolks becoming too thick with freezing. Defrost frozen eggs in the fridge overnight and use them straightaway.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/get_cooking/cooks_guide/eggs.shtml

(Assuming you are talking hens eggs, and not your own eggs....)
  • powershopper
    powershopper Posts: 329 Forumite
    Options
    sHOULD BE ABLE TO FREEZE EGGS, TRY BREAKING THEM INTO BATCHES, MAYBE 3 OR 4, AND FREEZE IN LITTLE PLASTIC POTS OR BAGS. THAW OUT IN THE FRIDGE, SHOULD BE FINE FOR BAKING OR SCRAMBLIES.
  • pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I was going to make omelettes for 5 people last night with 3 eggs each. In the end we had Chinese.

Never mind, I keep eggs in the fridge anyways, so they should keep a while.
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
  • lesley1960
    lesley1960 Posts: 976 Forumite
    Options
    My mum used to keep chickens and often ended up with too many eggs , she used to break them into container and freeze them .
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    :o
    Can you freeze eggs? I never use them up but I do like eggs - could I freeze them or does anywhere sell them in twos instead of sixes?

Sorry - i know this is a stupid question. I'm sure the answer is no.
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • BallandChain
    BallandChain Posts: 1,922 Forumite
    Options
    Not a stupid question at all and I didn't know either til I googled and found this:

http://www.recipelink.com/mf/0/73792
    'You can just freeze eggs in the shell. We have done it for years with no major issues. We just put them in the freezer as is.
    The problem is that with hen eggs they tend to expand and crack the shell but duck eggs are much stronger and do not leak.
    Thaw slowly in the refrigerator (for a day).
    Only suitable for baking etc.'
    That's one answer on a thread. Maybe some of the cooks here might be able to elaborate. :o

Just to add this was on that same thread:

'I finally found your answer in a Better Homes and Garden book. This is what it says:

Eggs may be frozen at home quie easily, but it is important to use only high-quality freh eggs. For convenience' sake, freeze eggs in serving-size quantities.
    Although egg whites freeze satisfactorily without any additives, frozen whole eggs and egg yolks become lumpy when thawed. To prevent this, add one tablespoon sugar or corn syrup or one teaspoon salt to each cup of whole eggs and two tablespoons sugar or corn syrup or one teaspoon salt to each cup of egg yolks. Sweetened eggs are suitable for desserts, while salted eggs can be used in main dishes.
    To freeze eggs break the eggs into a bowl, separating yolks and whites, if desired. After stirring the eggs to blend (do not beat), strain them through a medium strainer or put them through a food mill. Add sugar or salt, if required, then freeze at 0o or lower in freezer containers leaving sufficient room for expansion. Eggs can be kept frozen for 9 to 12 months.
    Frozen eggs should be kept solidly frozen until needed, then thawed in the refrigerator. Use promptly.'
  • morwenna
    morwenna Posts: 844 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not sure that you can freeze eggs in their uncooked state, however, egg whites separated from the yolks do freeze. Yolks can be kept in the fridge, covered in water, for a day or two.

How about using a farm shop or similar? You can buy the amount you need there, no worries about asking for just two eggs, if that is all you need.

And there is no such thing as a silly question, imo :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure