PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2011 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• cat_smith
    cat_smith Posts: 1,258 Forumite
    Options
    failinghappily know what you mean. It's becoming a serious personal challenge. Wanting to hold off shopping trip until tomorrow. DH complained this morning that all he had left was salami or the dogs ham. Sorry - just because I feed the dog ham as a treat does not mean its not fit for human consumption!

To save petrol, DH going to Mr T on way home tonight for fruit, cheese and OJ. Might have to go tomorrow if PIL come for dinner, but other than that should be good for a couple of days.
    GC Mar 13 £47.36/£150
  • kezlou
    kezlou Posts: 3,283 Forumite
    Options
    Hope your all well. We ended up going shopping again, ran out of cat food, litter etc. Swear they cost more than us !

Anyways here's a new recipe, just thought i'd post it here to share.

Nonya Laksa

1 1/2 tbsp veg oil
    2 tbsp chopped garlic
    1 tbsp chopped ginger
    2 fresh red chillies chopped (the seeds go in the pot too)
    225g onion finely sliced (i did about 3 small ones)
    1 tsp ground coriander
    1/2 tsp ground turmeric
    1 3/4 or 2 pints of veg or chicken stock (i used chicken)
    1 pack of rice noodles (think its about 300g, not sure though)
    400ml coconut milk (same as one tin)
    2 tsp madras curry powder (i used the extra hot one)
    2 tsps of chilli sauce
    a dash of soy sauce (optional)
    1 tsp sugar
    2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp black pepper

Heat oil till hot , reduce heat and add chilli, onion, garlic and ginger and a few minutes softened. Add coriander and tumeric, stir then add stock . Simmer , covered for about 20 minutes ish.
    While this is doing cook the rice noodles, drain and set aside.
    Add coconut milk, rice noodles, spices, chilli etc to the simmering stock and cook for about 15 mins.
    then serve.

I cooked the above with fish and it was lush, i just added the fish at the same time as the coconut milk. Its quite a sweet dish and quite mild. The boys loved it and polished the whole pan off.
    If you wish to add other meat and poultry , you need just to add a bit more stock and cook a little longer.

Enjoy :)
  • Billie-jo
    Billie-jo Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    Options
    On Saturday DH went and got the shopping as I was busy baking and he spent £6.24 then on Sunday on the way to pick mum up we got milk and 2 bottles of flavoured water so spent £7.30

NSD today. For tea we are having jkt potatoes and some beef stew that was left from yesterday.

Someone mentioned the t.bags on offer from Te$co, must have missed them so can anyone tell me what they are and will look when next go.

Hope everyone is well and doing ok with their challenge this month.

B.J. x
    MARCH £62.38/250
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    kezlou wrote: »
    Anyways here's a new recipe, just thought i'd post it here to share.

Nonya Laksa

Great recipe! its in the index now ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • mummyjane
    mummyjane Posts: 391 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 March 2011 at 5:27PM
    Options
    A NSD for me today, I have a Mr T's shop booked for tommorrow night, toying with the idea of cancelling it. The problem is I know I could get the bits I need this week from the local shop but they would cost 4 times the price of the value range from Mr T's. Might just have to try and wittle it down a bit. Whilst clearing out my paperwork pile I found an old clubcard voucher which just about covers the delivery fee and that just makes it even more tempting.
    GC 2023 June £72/500 NSDs 1/10
  • bexs.ua
    bexs.ua Posts: 151 Forumite
    Options
    Just updating for this week:

Tonight Mr T's shop being delivered currently £24.48 (used £18 vouchers)
    BnM £4.95 on crisps and toothpaste
    Wednesday the veggie box is coming again so thats another £18.74 but this weeks comes with a free box of 6 organic free range eggs! :T

Will update sig with these amounts and amend if Mr T have one of their *moments*!! :D

Tried the Mr T price checker with last weeks shop but no luck for me :( but TBH I didn't know they were doing it so anything back would have just been a bonus for me :rotfl:
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    spent £9.56 in T3sco

bought

wash powder £1.80
    6 easter eggs @£1 each £6
    2 creme eggs £0.80
    mixed fruit jam £0.29
    basic pasta £0.18
    3 onions £0.39

the easter eggs were extra but thought i wouldnt get a better deal so picked them up
    creme eggs are for the DD's

i have loads of washpowder but DD1 is getting a rash so i am changing the powder in case its that

will add to my sig in a mo
  • debtfreewannabe321
    Options
    well got another weekly shop and was 60.15 :eek: i didn't have much to show for it !! I think Mr S is definately more expensive than Mr T!!! I stuck to my list too so really not too impressed! This takes my monthly spend so far up to 213.57/250 and there is NO way in h*ll that i will make it in under budget this month as we still have 2 weeks left on our month to go :eek: oh dear! will just have to try and limit spends and not completely go overboard now that i know i have failed!!! Perhaps i should set myself another budget so that i still 'try' if you know what i mean. i think once i know i have failed i will just think s*d it and buy everything and anything! so i think i'm going to up it to £300 which if i had worked it out properly i should have done in the first place :rotfl:seein as though it's a 5 week month for us?!
    MAY 2024 GOALS MFW #17 EF- £205.75/300 ~ NSD 0/15 ~ FOOD & TOILETRIES BUDGET £133.59 / £500 ~ MOP- 0/50
    MORTGAGE BALANCE JAN 1st £99224.13 ~~~ MAY 1st £
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    hi...i have been buying easter eggs as iv been shopping...saves a rush at the end iykwim...i went to aldi today and got some of the super 6 39p this week...im planning to get a few bags of the onions over the next couple of weeks as they seem cheap,,,also got some chicken which seemed reasonable...im warming to aldi it seems quite reasonable and has some good offers...oh wanders off and has a look at the non food offers which stops him moanig have we finished yet ?

im going to make some battered fish tomorrow i got some haddock from sainsburys reduced so hopefully that will be nice

have a nice evening
    tess
    onwards and upwards
  • MumOf2Beasties
    Options
    Evening everyone:panother NSD for me, that's three in a row now, feeling quite pleased with myself.
    And i'm over the moon that my missing moggy has come home:j:j:jhe's been gone a while and came home wearing a new collar and still as porky as ever so he's been well looked after, though i'm very annoyed someone else took him in:mad:and worried about his tum as he needs cat food for sensitive tums and there's no way the other person could have known this!!Vets for another check me thinks!!

Anyway, i have spent £6.70 on tags for both cats (again!) with name, phone number and 'please do not feed me'. But i'm not including this in my GC budget.

Had our lazy dinner night tonight, chips, fish fingers and spaghetti. Or we'll have just pasta with some sauce and garlic bread, so i don't feel like i'm cooking all the time!!

Gosh that's a bit of a ramble lol keep up the penny pinching :D
    1 adult, 3 children-Newborn and ages 4 & 6, 1 rabbit
    budget of £250 is for food, toiletries, nappies, wipes, cleaning/washing products and pet supplies (litter, sawdust, food)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure