PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

cleaning the oven

Options

Comments

• carol_a_3
    carol_a_3 Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    Options
    Another vote for Oven Pride. I used it a few weeks back and it's wonderful. You put half in your oven, it's very caustic but doesn't produce fumes or smell and put the other half in the strong plastic bag provided along with your shelves of which I have 3. They came up like new with not much elbow grease needed. I then lined the base with the £9.99 Lakeland sheet as mentioned above. My oven was really minging and now it's brilliant!
  • susy_2
    susy_2 Posts: 467 Forumite
    Options
    MKwife wrote: »
    There is an Oven Cleaning product in an orange box at my local Tesco (its name escapes me). it is about 5 pounds.:cool:

You squirt all the stuff in and leave over night, then the next day it just wipes away, it is brilliant!!

I think that is the Oven Pride from Tesco. I had tried everything over the years and 'discovered' this about 2/3 years ago, and like OP, it was love at first use. It is £3 something, but I find I usually use slightly more than one bottle per use. :D
  • prophecy_grrl
    Options
    Hi

Am so embarrassed - I have never cleaned my oven, it was brand new and unused when we moved in... in NOVEMBER 2003!

I have wiped around a bit with a dishcloth, and scrubbed the shelves - with these oven cleaning / foam / spray products, do you put it everywhere in the oven? or just the sides and bottom? Sorry for ignorance :o don't want to break the oven.
    *** PROPHECY_GRRL***
    *** DEBT FREE AS OF 17/10/11 - I DID IT!!! ***
  • carol_a_3
    carol_a_3 Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    Options
    It depends on whether it's a "self cleaning" oven. If it is I think I'm right in saying that you don't put anything on the sides. I mainly concentrated on the floor, glass door and tried to scrape a bit off the "ceiling" without success. To self clean I think you have to leave the oven on for hours on a very high temperature. Have a look at your handbook if you've got one. It was about 3 years since I cleaned mine too so don't feel bad!
  • csarina
    csarina Posts: 2,557 Forumite
    Options
    I must admit that last year I had my oven cleaned by one of the local firms, it was not cheap at £65, but worth every penny............the oven looked like new and I wiped it over after each use, when I sold it I got top wack for it, it was immaculate even though it was 7 years old........my oven in the apartment is a minging mess, fortunately they are going to replace it next week (hopefully).........I'll look forward to that.
    Was 13st 8 lbs,Now 12st 11 Lost 10 1/4lbs since I started on my diet.
    07311022 Posts: 99 Forumite
    Options
    There is a wipe clean over liner that you can get from the Kleeneze catalogue. The code is 062413 and it costs £6.00. If you don't get a catalogue through your door, you could try the https://www.kleeneze.co.uk site.
    iglimpse wrote: »
    Tried the steam cleaner, no good. Yes shelves come up a treat in the dishwasher.

I didn't do anything...that's the problem.

Used to have one of those oven liners that you could just wash. Can't seem to find them in the shops now.

Making me feel guilty now. Does anyone clean their oven after every use???
  • jackie_w
    jackie_w Posts: 1,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi There,

We are moving in a couple of weeks, and im ashamed to say my oven needs a right good clean. I hate using those oven cleaners, but, will need to use them if I have to as I think they give off a horrible smell when the oven heats up.

Has anyone any ideas as to how I can clean my oven so it looks almost new, and the glass doors needs a good clean too.

Thanks

Jackie
  • susy_2
    Options
    Hi Jackie,

This thread might help. :D

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=422580&highlight=oven+cleaner

Sorry, most people would say 'here' but I don't know how to do that.

Good luck Jackie.

Can anybody enlighten me please? :D
  • susy_2
    Options
    Just testing

Here

Ok, answered my own question. Whoo-hoo.

Talking to myself now. Baaaaaaaaad!
  • Shineyhappy
    Shineyhappy Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi everyone :j

I was just wondering if anyone had any good tips for cleaning ovens.

Mine is rather nasty and tbh when I moved into the property it was bad and I kept putting it off as it was probably meat induced and being a veggie I really havent wanted to get too close.

A year later I really should attempt something, I have never cleaned a grimed up oven before as any ovens have tended to be spotless as being veggies it doesnt seem to get so yucky.

Any tips greatly appreciated!

Thanks very much
    Debt Free - done
    Mortgage Free - done
    Building up the pension pot
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business