Ongoing Journey to being a Frugalista..

Options

Comments

• PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    So..Brizzlegirl's April Goals coming up...

I have decided on the following:

- keep the saving target the same and see if I can achieve 25% two month running. It may happen especially if I know I have to effectively divert the 25% savings into paying off the last 2 holiday cards by early May (one this month and the other early next, its to do with when we get our main income streams).
    - I need to exercise most days, so thats a new target. Anything that gets the heart rate up for over 20 minutes ;) will count
    - need to declutter again so will try again for 60 items, and anything from the family counts so watch out kids and OH :rotfl:
    - Need to get some LSDs and NSDs under my belt for a few months. Real laser focus needed
    - use TCB when I can to get the sales total up as well as Bay of E when I can
    - AFDs...lets see but I can only try. 15 was easy last month :)

Onwards and upwards :)

Love to all xx

Top goals and top savings rate and a celebrity on your thread :D

Loving the positivity, sell that and you could definitely be in control of FIRE :A

Well done on running, I'm going to try and go tomorrow night.
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well done on March's totals. Good luck for April!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • brizzlegirl
    brizzlegirl Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the good wishes. Sitting here in howling rain and wind... not sure I can cope with a longer run today (45 mins or so) as it will be across open ground, but lets see if we get a break in the weather.

Been on YNAB today and playing with the mortgage calculator. If we had a extremely frugal 2 years and income stayed the same we could be mortgage free in under 2 years and have no debt. But... think we need to live and not sure my family would be on board with the hard core monastic approach so reckon 5 years should be used to build up the EF pension etc. But always good to have a look. And review. And review again..

Planning on watching movies and reading today. This is the life :) Hopefully a NSD then too :)
  • brizzlegirl
    Options
    Just read that back.. cannot edit on the phone but for clarity..

- I am in a house, but its blowing a gale
    - dont know why I said 5 years.. should probably check and do a draft plan. Maybe 4 is better... hmm.

And it was a LSD yesterday. Just spent £12.45 on drinks with friends in a pub. Happy days
  • brizzlegirl
    Options
    Oops. Missed birthday so have just sent flowers. Not a NSD but hopefully a LSD one. I also used TCB. Effectively 10% off. Blimey - its so worth doing if you are going to make a spend anyway.. obviously not if its just an impulse or unnecessary ;)
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,308 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Snowing here :(

Getting a balance is so hard.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • brizzlegirl
    Options
    Snowing!! Glory. Doesnt the weather know its April and technically Spring??!

Yes, the holy grail of balance. How many years until the pesky mortgage is gone Lou? Spoke to OH and he said lets go for it. Next year no holidays... hmm. His enthusiasm was worrying ;) But something to think so...
  • brizzlegirl
    Options
    *on

Brizzle x
  • pennywisepoundstupid
    Options
    All sounds very exciting Brizzle, could you aim for a maximum of 5 years to be mortgage free and then anything less is a bonus, would also give you wiggle room for hols, treats etc and not feel quite so restricted!
    Mortgage Jan 2023 9yrs 11mths £61,389 Mortgage overpayment £1867/£3600 Mortgage Jan 2022 11yrs 6mths £69.996 Mortgage overpayment £3132/£3600
  • mfmaybe
    mfmaybe Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    Snowing here :(

Getting a balance is so hard.

here too, though perhaps not surprising given we are both up in the proper North!

Brizzle, I think I've asked before but how do you calculate your savings rate? If you put money into a regular saving (eg, a pension payment) is that "spend", and therefore the 25% is what you had left in the current account at the end of the month? What about if you made a regular payment to an ISA or something? I feel like I "spend" all my money but this includes pensions, an ISA, plus loads of money into various savings pots. I don't think I could get anywhere near 25% unspent :eek:
    0% card was £1126.91 / Now £1502.37

AFD March 2/15 NSD March 2/11 :T

Other debts paid since 1/1/14: £17,005
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family