Ongoing Journey to being a Frugalista..

Options

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,374 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Three years seems so much better than 4.
    Not sure why.
    You can do it :grin:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Re: ERPs, you can save the excess above the permitted 10% and then see if it's worthwhile paying the ERPs - sometimes it is. My ERP on a sub acct was less than the interest I'd accrue in the following months until it went onto SVR, so I paid it off - made sense. (Was the only ERP I had, though - as the other accts went to SVR before I paid them off, which was great for flexibility) If it's not a sensible move then you can, as you've said, be MF in principle - which also gives you EF flexibility.

If Mr brizzle is up for it, then go for it - if it becomes too much a little down the line and you decide to ease up then you're almost certainly to be in a better place then than now balances-wise, so you'll still be ahead of where you would be without going for it (iyswim) It is fairly short term pain (3 years) - and 3 years will be less painful than 4 - treats will still be available :) x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Great news on the CCs and the 25.2% brizzle and some good, thoughtful ideas on the financial planning! Perhaps take advantage of Mr brizzle's enthusiasm? :D

I was sorry to hear about your poor chickens though. :(

P.S. thank you also to Tilly for your helpful, positive post a few days ago. What are tilly tidies by the way?
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • brizzlegirl
    brizzlegirl Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Wow! Need to sleep but couldnt read and run without calling out what an amazing invention Tilly Tidies are.. its rounding down to the nearest pound or ten pounds and sending it to your debts or savings accounts. Inspired and you make a difference every time you do it

Much love to all of you lovely folks x
  • mfmaybe
    mfmaybe Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

MFM..my method is to add up all the categories in YNAB that are not spends so yes I exclude pensions, ISA, (currently debt repayments) and EF. This month we drew a lot of income but even so I was pleased at basically only spending 3/4 of our months income. I am not sure why you would only count quote spare quote money...maybe it is because we subscribe to the YNAB every penny has a purpose concept. If you are putting money into savings pots that are true savings post, rather than say for the insurance or Xmas (when you know you are going to raid them) I think that counts towards a savings rate. Hope that makes sense. When we are clear of these last two cards I will put everything into paying off the £4K OD, the EF, pension and ISA. Cannae wait :D

Yes it does make sense, thanks :). I will go and work mine out - but it's going to be lower than the true number because I put a whack into pension pre-tax. Don't hold your breath for even double figures :o
    0% card was £1126.91 / Now £1502.37

AFD March 2/15 NSD March 2/11 :T

Other debts paid since 1/1/14: £17,005
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,609 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Good news on the cards almost gone. I wouldn't worry about the slight dip in your s and s isas. Ours are down as well but the dividends from our income funds is holding steady.

I strongly recommend overpaying on the mortgage especially if your girls intend to do uni( sorry I can't remember their ages). We aimed to be MF as our daughters started uni to help them through that. After that it was heavy duty investing/saving to early retirement.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    Wow! Need to sleep but couldnt read and run without calling out what an amazing invention Tilly Tidies are.. its rounding down to the nearest pound or ten pounds and sending it to your debts or savings accounts. Inspired and you make a difference every time you do it

Much love to all of you lovely folks x

Thanks brizzle. Sorry to be a numpty but do you mean that if I spend say £4.75 on something then I would put away 25p - rounding the amount to £5.00?

I bought the Frugalwoods book on kindle - looking forward to a good old read!
    🌟
  • mfmaybe
    mfmaybe Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks brizzle. Sorry to be a numpty but do you mean that if I spend say £4.75 on something then I would put away 25p - rounding the amount to £5.00?

I bought the Frugalwoods book on kindle - looking forward to a good old read!

I think how most people do it is to round down the bank balance. So if you log in and see you have £142.30 in your account, you might transfer £2.30 to debt payments. Some people do it down to the nearest £5, or a tenner. Some maybe do it just to the nearest pound. I guess the principle is just that tiny increments soon add up; but the Tilly Tidy is a nice neat idea.
    0% card was £1126.91 / Now £1502.37

AFD March 2/15 NSD March 2/11 :T

Other debts paid since 1/1/14: £17,005
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    Thanks very much for explaining mfmaybe. It's certainly sounds a very good idea and I think I will start doing it.
    🌟
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,346 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    This is the sort of thing I do to build up my VSP. Whenever money goes into the bank I shave off the oddment to the nearest ten pounds. Can highly recommend doing this.
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure