Playdate ettiquette

Options
I was wondering about what people think is acceptable behaviour when taking your older toddler/young child to play in someone else's home. I had my first "playdate" visit at the weekend and am still feeling a bit upset by it. While I was in the kitchen making lunch my 3yo and his friend from toddler group were so giddy with excitement that they went a bit crazy in the playroom. His friend's mum was in the room with them so while I knew they'd make a mess I thought she'd stop it going too far. I didn't see the room until after we'd had lunch and was shocked by it.

The whole floor was covered in toys making it impossible to walk across the room without stepping on things or falling over. A lot of the stuff on the floor was off the high shelves that the boys couldn't have reached so the other mum must have taken them down. The boys were taking things off shelves or out of boxes, looking at them for two seconds and then running over everything to get something else. It was absolute chaos and impossible to actually play in, because it was there wasn't an inch of clear surface anywhere. As soon as I saw it I told the boys that the room was too messy and we should tidy most things away because there was no room to play and that once it was tidy we could pick out what we wanted to play with and be able to do so comfortably.

I tried to get them to help me tidy things away (though tbh it was way too messy for that to really work). My son started helping but the other boy kept taking back the things I put away which made my son get really upset about having to tidy instead of mess so I picked up a couple of toys, put them in the hallway and told them to play out there until I cleared up the room. Through all of this the other mum sat on the couch doing things with her phone. She kept making big annoyed sighs which I initially assumed was due to her network dropping/phone freezing as she had told me she was trying to send an important message. After a few minutes, she stood up, put a couple of toys on a shelf and then told the boys that the room was tidy enough and to come back in. I felt mortified, realising that her sighs might have been because she was upset with me for being a 'buzzkill' and I was upset that maybe I was being overly anal about the mess instead of just letting the boys play. The thing is though that I know my son and when all of the toys are out he just gets hyper and eventually agitated, whereas if he has room to play he really gets his teeth into whatever game he's playing and is really happy and relaxed. After that I felt like I was in the wrong anytime I tried to put away something the boys had just abandoned.

Long before they left, my son got a bit down and he went off into the hall with two little toys and started playing by himself, while the other boy just went through the playroom picking things up and throwing them on the floor before going for something else. Eventually he started taking all my son's books off the shelves and using them as stepping stones on the floor. His mum just sat there almost unaware of it until I asked him was he picking out a book to read (in a bid to redirect him) and she told me that he wouldn't like that, he just liked putting them on the floor. I had to bite my tongue to stop myself from really !!!!ily asking her to stop him then. But instead I picked up a book and started reading it aloud and as it happened her son got quite into it and actually calmed down for a while.

When they eventually left and I tidied up I felt like crying. All afternoon I felt like I was ruining the boys play but once they'd left I nearly burst into tears at the mess. I don't know if my expectations were unrealistic and I was being too precious about the mess or if the main thing I did wrong was fail to be assertive enough with the two boys (and the other mum) about how they were playing. If I'm honest I've always thought that I was on the extremely lenient end of the parenting spectrum and I like to encourage my son to play very freely but I felt like a victorian school marm at times today. As it stands now I'm half tempted to never have child visitors again during bad weather aso that in future they can spend the afternoon in the garden.

Comments

• Bluemeanie_2
    Bluemeanie_2 Posts: 1,076 Forumite
    Options
    It sounds to me she is just a lazy parent. One of those that just lets the child run amok when they sit playing on their phone all the time. It happens at the tots group I go to. A kid will be pinching or nipping mine and the parents just sit there talking and playing on phones instead of supervising. I'm quite assertive so tell their child off and am willing to argue if they start that they should be watching if they don't want me disciplining!

I would never let Violet behave like that at so,some else's house. I'd be sitting on the floor saying things "we get put one toy away before we get another one out" and stuff like that. I think it may just be her as an individual that's the problem.

I'm not perfect, I occasionally look at my phone and stuff and I can't say I'm watching her 100% of the time but I try my best.
    I'm never offended by debate & opinions. As a wise man called Voltaire once said, "I disagree with what you say, but will defend until death your right to say it."
    Mortgage is my only debt - Original mortgage - January 2008 = £88,400, March 2014 = £47,000 Chipping away slowly! Now saving to move.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    Disagree sorry, it's your first 'playdate' so you've now seen what it can be like.

Kids will be kids. and it's your home to set the rules (hopefully not to rigid). The other parent can help enforce this with their child, but ultimately it's down to you to set the ground rules.

I think you were expecting to much, but that's a personal thing. It's your home, so your expectations are what matters.
  • flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, i think you are being too anal about the mess, but if thats how you expect children to play, then its up to you to enforce the rules, at the time

I dont think my kids have had a playdate, where the house hasnt looked like a bomb hit it. But i always make sure that they tidy it before they go home. Yes, it is more difficult to control when other parents are there,as you dont want to be see as a killjoy, but on the other hand, when i stay with my child, its just as bad, because i feel like mean mum, stopping them doing anything that i think is even slightly inapproriate or rude (but i would allow at home)

What you soon learn is not all children create havoc, and that only certain friends now get invites to come and play
  • Al1x
    Al1x Posts: 1,653 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That's what playdates are like, they get a bit crazy as the children do get excited.
    My daughter is 8 and has been going to playdates with her friends since she started school, most of the time I go with her little brother who plays with her friends little sister. Most of the time you can't see the floor, sometimes they even go outside leaving a mess in the house but I always make sure my two help with the tidying up when its time to go. I obviously help as well as I would feel rude to leave the house in a mess.
  • GracieP
    GracieP Posts: 1,263 Forumite
    Options
    When I say it was his first playdate I should have been more clear. I meant that it was the first time I had a child over primarily for the sake of the children's interaction. I've had other children in the house before but they were my friends' or relatives' children. And we've been to their houses on plenty of occasions. But I think that when you are close to the other parent it's a lot easier than when you are with someone you barely know.

Thinking on it I feel that a lot of the problem is that the other little boy goes to lots of playgroups but has only been in another child's home once or twice. At the playgroup we know them from it is basically just a big room with toys on the floor and the kids just run around playing, flitting from one thing to another as soon as something else catches their eye. While they were here, his mum told me about how she keeps making friends with other women in the playgroup who then suddenly go very cold on her and stop inviting her and her son to things. So I'm starting to suspect that maybe this has happened before. There were some other things too that I feel unhappy about as she was quite pushy about coming to visit, has already planned lots more visits to my house and stayed for several hours longer than we'd planned, with me eventually having to point out about 10 times that my son was nearing his bedtime before she left. I was particularly annoyed as I'd planned to take my son to visit my parents for tea after she left and I had to cancel that.

I've decided that I'm just going to have be more assertive in the future. If she is coming for a visit and I want to do something after I need to make that clear from the outset. If the boys' play gets to a point that I'm not happy with I'm going to intervene and if she doesn't like that and considers me a killjoy then she doesn't have to visit.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    GracieP wrote: »
    When I say it was his first playdate I should have been more clear. I meant that it was the first time I had a child over primarily for the sake of the children's interaction. I've had other children in the house before but they were my friends' or relatives' children. And we've been to their houses on plenty of occasions. But I think that when you are close to the other parent it's a lot easier than when you are with someone you barely know.

Thinking on it I feel that a lot of the problem is that the other little boy goes to lots of playgroups but has only been in another child's home once or twice. At the playgroup we know them from it is basically just a big room with toys on the floor and the kids just run around playing, flitting from one thing to another as soon as something else catches their eye. While they were here, his mum told me about how she keeps making friends with other women in the playgroup who then suddenly go very cold on her and stop inviting her and her son to things. So I'm starting to suspect that maybe this has happened before. There were some other things too that I feel unhappy about as she was quite pushy about coming to visit, has already planned lots more visits to my house and stayed for several hours longer than we'd planned, with me eventually having to point out about 10 times that my son was nearing his bedtime before she left. I was particularly annoyed as I'd planned to take my son to visit my parents for tea after she left and I had to cancel that.

I've decided that I'm just going to have be more assertive in the future. If she is coming for a visit and I want to do something after I need to make that clear from the outset. If the boys' play gets to a point that I'm not happy with I'm going to intervene and if she doesn't like that and considers me a killjoy then she doesn't have to visit.

Wow, so someone looking for a friend, maybe struggling a bit. Doesnt see the harm in kids being kids. - and it's her child that has the problem?

Here's the best advice you will get.

If you want a show home, dont have kids & pets in the house.
  • GreenQueen
    GreenQueen Posts: 539 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Sounds like you had a bad introduction to the experience of play dates. The other mum sounds quite needy, and probably has a very different parenting approach to you. You're more likely to have a positive experience if you have a common approach and things in common.

Perhaps you need to lay more boundaries in advance - in a soft, non-blame way, e.g. "I only let DS have two toys out at once, so he doesn't get too excited. Could you help me keep to that rule?", "it's lovely to see you. I'm afraid we will have to go out at 4.00, as my parents have planned to see him for tea, but that will give us two hours for the children to play, and us to have a natter over a cup of tea", etc.

I'm sure you will have some great play dates in the future, and feel comfortable in your own home as well.

Good luck,
    GQ
    2021 - mission declutter and clean - 0/2021
  • Mrshaworth2b
    Mrshaworth2b Posts: 988 Forumite
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    Wow, so someone looking for a friend, maybe struggling a bit. Doesnt see the harm in kids being kids. - and it's her child that has the problem?

Here's the best advice you will get.

If you want a show home, dont have kids & pets in the house.

How is her not wanting toys all over the floor and for play to be a little more structured than the other mother, wanting a show home?

My son has a toy box in the living room, he also has additional toys that take up more space, he knows that if he wants the bigger toys out that he will have to put some other toys away, he also knows that if the floor is too busy he will have to tidy some toys away, my house is no show home, any guest who came over to play would have to adhere to the same rules. I think some people have been to harsh to you op, I think the other mum is needy and obviously wanting some company for her and also her child.

Be sure in yourself and how you have things in your home, if she doesn't like it she doesn't have to come round again does she?

And by the way I think there is nothing wrong with going to lots of play groups, if there are no other children in the family or friends, they can provide lots of experience for the child to learn how to be around other children, surely a good thing.
    Newly Married, not a 2b anymore!! Mum to two wonderful boys!
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If she has decided that she's making lots of visits to your house when do you go and get to wreck her house instead?
  • gayleygoo
    gayleygoo Posts: 816 Forumite
    Options
    I would expect quite a bit of mess at a playdate for 3yos. I'm quite a laid back parent, so to an extent I am happy to let children make the mess for a while, and tidy at the end (really no point doing it during play!) Relax and natter :) However I'd try to discourage really disruptive behaviour, and would make sure everything was tidied up before I left the person's house, not just leave it all for the other parent to deal with. If the playdate is at your house, maybe you could start tidy-up time with a song, giving warnings 10, 5 and 1 minute before, and get all the children involved in putting things away. (For me, I wouldn't expect it all to be perfect at the end, just that the children get used to the idea of tidying after play.)

A few weeks ago we had friends turn up with their children. I was exhausted from dealing with my 10 day old baby and 2 older children. Friends' children were only here half an hour and they were like torandoes. They emptied the pencil pots and bookcase in DD's room, pulled out all the dressing up clothes, paper out of the printer, even clothes out of drawers. Underbed storage box of lego was emptied on the floor. They hit and kicked our pets. At no point did the parents intervene, maybe we should have said something but I had no idea what! Our children were upset at the mess done to their rooms, so we've agreed that next time they come, they stay out of the bedrooms and away from the bunnies.

It's okay to be more assertive too. Don't miss out on things you've already planned, and let her know beforehand that you'll have to leave at such 'o' clock to go somewhere.

A batch of homemade playdough, glitter and biscuit cutters can keep small children occupied for ages. If you have that, or another half-organised activity for them to do, it might mean slightly fewer toys to tidy away later!

One Love, One Life, Let's Get Together and Be Alright :)

April GC 13.20/£300
    April
    NSDs 0/10
    CC's £255
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business