AMOMA.com Closure and Upcoming Bookings

Options

Comments

• wilkas
    Options
    A day later our booking which is due on 19th of September of 660 eur was also cancelled. Now we are stuck in Turkey with a little kid. Booking.com does not work locally via WiFi as it treats me as Turkish citizen who are not allowed to book in Turkey. What exactly should I get from that hotel when we arrive in order to claim losses later from bank? Bought with MasterCard.
  • moe1416
    Options
    Is there anybody who have been is this situation before? any hope that we might get the money that we paid or its gone forever?!
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    moe1416 wrote: »
    Is there anybody who have been is this situation before? any hope that we might get the money that we paid or its gone forever?!
    If you follow the advice already given in this thread there's no reason to doubt that you will be refunded.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Nicole62
    Options
    wilkas wrote: »
    A day later our booking which is due on 19th of September of 660 eur was also cancelled. Now we are stuck in Turkey with a little kid. Booking.com does not work locally via WiFi as it treats me as Turkish citizen who are not allowed to book in Turkey. What exactly should I get from that hotel when we arrive in order to claim losses later from bank? Bought with MasterCard.

That's the important thing you need. You need proof that your booking was cancelled and you know they have cancelled now so if you were notified by email, you need to keep that email. If you were told by phone, you need to get the hotel to send you an email that they cancelled your booking because Amoma didn't pay them.

What an awful situation you are in, especially with a small child. Can you phone the hotel and see if you can re-book the room? Our hotel wanted so much more money (from £749 to £2000) but we had a week to find another hotel.
    I have also read somewhere that your credit card company will refund you for the extra money you will have to pay out to stay in the same hotel. I'm not sure if this is true or not.
    Good luck and I hope you can solve something for you and your family.
  • vibo
    Options
    I work in this area, for a hotel group, not Amoma.

Straight to a chargeback, I'm afraid.

Your payment goes from Amoma -> Wholesaler -> Hotel, with each taking a cut prior to the booking reaching the hotel.

However, the hotel invoices the wholesaler post-stay so will not be in a position to refund customers since they likely will not get paid themselves

Whether or not the bookings get honored depends entirely on whether Amoma operates in a way where they prepay the wholesaler (in which case it looks good). But if the wholesaler invoices post-stay and hasn't been paid then it's Amoma running with the cash I'm afraid.

They have always been dodgy and hotels do not sell inventory to them directly. These wholesale rates are supposed to go to travel agents on main st. not sold online and it's a breach of contract that they're sold online.

How it actually often looks is Hotel -> Reputable Wholesaler -> Pop up dodgy wholesaler from China -> Amoma

So very hard to say where the money will go here but you all need to get straight on to your banks
  • Shawbee
    Options
    Hi,

I've contacted the hotel who said the booking is confirmed, and while i was on the phone to them on Saturday they tried to take the payment from the supplier - and they said they got the money. However this was AFTER amoma went bankrupt. I'm afraid something doesn't sound quite right, everybody's hotel has been cancelled and this hotel says they claimed the money on saturday - could this be right? Is my hotel booking likely to be cancelled during the week or is there reason to believe the hotel booking wont change?

vibo wrote: »
    I work in this area, for a hotel group, not Amoma.

Straight to a chargeback, I'm afraid.

Your payment goes from Amoma -> Wholesaler -> Hotel, with each taking a cut prior to the booking reaching the hotel.

However, the hotel invoices the wholesaler post-stay so will not be in a position to refund customers since they likely will not get paid themselves

Whether or not the bookings get honored depends entirely on whether Amoma operates in a way where they prepay the wholesaler (in which case it looks good). But if the wholesaler invoices post-stay and hasn't been paid then it's Amoma running with the cash I'm afraid.

They have always been dodgy and hotels do not sell inventory to them directly. These wholesale rates are supposed to go to travel agents on main st. not sold online and it's a breach of contract that they're sold online.

How it actually often looks is Hotel -> Reputable Wholesaler -> Pop up dodgy wholesaler from China -> Amoma

So very hard to say where the money will go here but you all need to get straight on to your banks
  • I paid for my hotel at the start of September, received 'confirmation' from Amoma but not the hotel.

Then I had the cease trading notification everyone else has had.

I paid on my debit card though... do I have any protection with that? I contacted my bank straight away and they have raised a dispute but I'm afraid that I won't be covered for anything :(

Any news from anyone?

I am trying to get in contact with the hotel to see if there is any chance I am still booked on but looking through all these posts I really doubt it. Hotels don't seem to answer the phone or emails though! :rotfl:

Is there no chance Amoma can get done for fraud or anything?
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I paid on my debit card though... do I have any protection with that? I contacted my bank straight away and they have raised a dispute but I'm afraid that I won't be covered for anything :(
    As mentioned in some earlier posts, debit cards (and credit cards) will typically benefit from chargeback rights if you haven't received what you paid for - these are explained at https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/visa-mastercard-chargeback/
    Is there no chance Amoma can get done for fraud or anything?
    Businesses collapse every day for a variety of reasons, but perhaps if there has actually been any fraud, or more importantly if there is evidence of fraud, then there could be a prosecution mounted over the next few years. How would that help you?
  • maddisonleigh
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    As mentioned in some earlier posts, debit cards (and credit cards) will typically benefit from chargeback rights if you haven't received what you paid for - these are explained at

Businesses collapse every day for a variety of reasons, but perhaps if there has actually been any fraud, or more importantly if there is evidence of fraud, then there could be a prosecution mounted over the next few years. How would that help you?

Unsure regarding the fraud. I don't fully understand it enough however I saw some earlier posts questioning this too, but couldn't find any answers. They gained our money and we haven't received what we paid for.

Hopefully my bank will come back to me with good news, though.

Thanks for the article about chargeback, too. I didn't realise there was more (seems to be anyway) protection with credit cards than debit.
  • Jen.
    Jen. Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Jen. wrote: »
    Today I received the following email from AMOMA.com
    In April this year, I made a booking for the Hilton Leeds for 2 nights in December. This booking was paid in full at the time £144.
    I have already contacted the hotel to confirm if the booking has been cancelled, if it has - how do I go about getting this money refunded? I guess AMOMA won’t be refunding me... I paid using my Capital One credit card, am I likely to receive a refund from them?

So I have received some feedback from Hilton regarding my booking for December.
    They confirmed they have the booking reserved under my name but... "if Amoma cancels there is nothing we can do, as they would be paying us for the booking under the special rate plan. I would advise to get in touch with them directly as you made this booking with Amoma, not with Hilton directly."

I responded that I am unable to contact Amoma and would like confirmation of cancellation before I contact my credit card provider.

Response from Hilton "We cannot cancel until the supplier cancels. I rung them querying and was confirmed it will be cancelled, but until received I cannot confirm cancellation to you. It should not take long, but I am afraid I cannot provide a time line"

So I'll wait a few more days and try again - however, I am surprised that Hilton managed to ring AMOMA?

Interested to hear other's experiences...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure