Webmail Homecall & Toucansurf problem

Options
Hi. I'm at my wits end! Both myself and my wife have been with Toucansurf since 2007, which has since been taken over by Pipex, Tiscali and then some years ago, Talk Talk, who took over the lot. In order to access our Toucansurf email accounts, we usually have to click on Webmail Homecall on Google. This is since it was taken over by Talk Talk. But since last week, Webmail Homecall has not been available and shows as 'Page Can't Be Displayed' when I click the link. So can't access our emails.

Both of us have repeatedly tried contacting Talk Talk to explain our dilemma but not got anywhere. On Sunday I clicked on the Chat button on their site and explained in detail the problem we were having. The guy clearly couldn't really understand what I was trying to say and in the end I gave up.

Today, my wife phoned Talk Talk direct and was put through to a call centre somewhere overseas. Again, she explained that we couldn't access Webmail Homecall and asked if maybe it could be disabled and have us put directly on the Talk Talk version. There was a language barrier and he said that although Toucansurf was owned by Talk Talk, we would need to speak to Toucansurf direct. She asked for a number but he didn't have one. Wasn't at all helpful. I thought this rather strange. I've tried but can't find a Toucansurf contact number. I did see something where it says that it's no longer possible to contact them direct.

We pay Talk Talk a monthly direct debit for both our broadband and TV. We're clearly not getting the service we're paying for. And even if as I'm reading Talk Talk have been shutting down the Toucansurf server, why not have the courtesy to give us advance warning? Some of us are totally dependant on the email traffic we receive. I've lost faith in Talk Talk and we're now looking elsewhere being that we're outside our contractual period.

Any suggestions? Has anyone likewise experienced this same problem?

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Toucansurf were attached to Pipex which was bought by Tiscali which was bought by TalkTalk.

Strictly speaking they've inherited the brand down the years and a lot of providers don't have to honour services that they've acquired through mergers and what not (EE closed down all their legacy Freeserve/Wanadaoo/Orange legacy accounts).

Because the service is under control of TalkTalk it may be worth seeing if you can get in through TalkTalk's website - talktalk.co.uk/mail - as opposed to the legacy option.

Also this is probably a good time to mention that if you have an email address with a provider and they get taken over or you move provider you may not be able to keep it. An independent one (Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail etc) bypasses this as those work regardless of ISP.
  • The_Fat_Controller
    The_Fat_Controller Posts: 2,006 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 30 May 2019 at 7:10AM
    Options
    Register and try this forum, a few people have posted regarding issues.

One post mentioned that due to security issues it will only be available if you have a TalkTalk broadband connection.

Best of luck.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Email-Webmail/bd-p/myemail
  • TalkTalk
    TalkTalk Posts: 1,948 Organisation Representative
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Warrior1960

I'm really sorry that you're having problems with the email service. We do have engineers working on getting this issue fixed as soon as possible. We'll keep the service status page on our website updated on this issue.

Vicky - TalkTalk Social Team
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • SDS043
    SDS043 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I have spent about 15 hours on chat/phone to Talk Talk this week and they admitted that the webmail homecall server has crashed. I have important documents in my email so hopefully it is sorted soon! I have found their service appalling and they have spoken to me as if it is me with the problem.
  • Nb26
    Nb26 Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I too am having the same problem and no one seems to have a solution. All i was told is to change my password but can't even get on the homepage. So frustrating and I too have important documents in that account.
  • KeithStigy
    Options
    On Friday 24th May I was unable to get into my Homecall email account which contains many very important doc's Car ins/Holiday ins/My sept holiday 2019 doc's. I have been told by talktalk that I will never be able to get them to put into my new talktalk email account.:( So this idea of putting important doc's not into the post but by email is not what the world needs. I am now going to spend the rest of my life trying to get in touch with all the people to let them know I have a new email address. Some of the companys I have contaced to tell them about a change have gone and sent a coformation email to HOMECALL!!! so I cannot conferm:cool: To say that I'm cheesed off is an under statement
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Moral of the story: Never depend on an ISP email address. And this is why.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Neil_Jones wrote: »
    Moral of the story: Never depend on an ISP email address. And this is why.

Or.....download all important stuff via an email client like Thunderbird.
    I have 4 email accounts,3 of which are "public" and 1 is ISP based. Every 10 minutes or so, T/Bird checks for new emails on all 4 accounts.
    Any attachments like insurance docs. I save on the main PC AND a back up drive.:)
  • TalkTalk
    TalkTalk Posts: 1,948 Organisation Representative
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi KeithStigy,

I apologise for the inconvenience and I completely understand your concern. Please be assured that we're working on the issue as a priority, do keep an eye on our Service Status Page for updates. Once the issue is resolved, you'll be able to access any documents you have stored in your emails, we would recommend backing these up if you don't have copies of them elsewhere.

Thanks,
    Becky - TalkTalk Social Team
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Mr_Fresh
    Options
    Thank you Becky for the update. I have a Homecall email address (I had to leave TalkTalk because you don't have cover for my current address) and am lucky in that I can access my email via the mail app on my phone. However, I also like to access it through a browser which I have been unable to do so for over a week now. In view of the fact that the information given out by you, the Talk Talk website and your help desk all differ, please can you clarify the following:

Was it planned to take down the homecall/pipex etc email accounts and if so, why was there no advance notification of such (or anything on your website explaining the situation)?

If not, is this the result of a 'hack' of the site?

Is this a temporary 'glitch' or has Talk Talk removed access via a browser permanently unless it is accessed via a Talk Talk internet connection (which of course I cannot do as Talk Talk does not cover my area!)?

Thank you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport