Applying for PIP - is it worth it?

Options

Comments

• Morglin
    Morglin Posts: 15,919 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    tinkledom wrote: »
    Why do you want to mix all of your conditions together? If I did that and tried to write about all of the permutations caused by each and every one including the medication I take, I will be spending half my life filling out A4 sheets by the dozens for each benefit claim.
    There is only so much that I can do - I therefore have to tailor the time I have available to deal with those matters that are winnable.

To overly complicate a claim form to that extent could so easily put the DM off and lose interest.

As for 'picking' the one for the ESA claim. I didn't do that, the GP did. The sick notes aren't big enough for all of my illnesses/disabilities to be included. So the important one for that particular claim was believed by the GP to be Chronic Pancreatitis as per what he wrote on the certificates.

Do I need to claim any of the benefits? Is that important? Surely it is more important to first justify to myself that I am entitled to claim them and secondly is the effort in claiming them going to be justified by the level of any award made if any.

I just don't agree with putting a claim in for any and everything, justified or not, and then seeing what happens. If you do that, then you must have a lot more time available to do that than I have.

You could always do what many of the rest of us do - put all of your disabilities onto something like Word programme, put how they affect you and interact with each other, and then SAVE IT.

You do it ONCE, and then just make any light amendments, as necessary.

If you are worried about the comp packing up and losing it, then EMail it to yourself and save in a folder.

Then, for whatever claim/review, you can briefly explain on the form, what is wrong with you, and then print off a copy and attach the aforementioned sheet, plus any evidence you have from medics.

How us it that you can post reams on here and cannot type yourself a supporting statement for claims?

Lin :think:
    You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands..........for instance, if they are placed around your throat, she's probably slightly upset. ;)
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why would you not mention all your disabilities? With just one disability, it may not be that disabling. But when you have that plus something else, that's when it becomes disabling.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • tinkledom
    tinkledom Posts: 556 Forumite
    Options
    TOBRUK wrote: »
    I think you are obsessed with descriptors) and testing yourself (WHY?!) to see what your odds are! eh?!

errr yes???? ESA along with PIP are benefits that are awarded based entirely on one or more descriptors applying to you and the number of points awarded to each descriptor chosen.
    It would be a waste of my time to include anything that would not be relevant to the descriptor I would be relying on. Surely you are aware that things changed when ESA replaced IB?

If other illnesses or conditions you have are relevant to your claim ofcourse you write them down - some may be are set off by another illness for example. You don't complicate things if you write it down clearly. If you are unsuccessful and you disagree with their decision then you let them know and appeal. I didn't appeal their decision thinking that I may not win, you just do what you believe is right. My appeal was successful like many others.

But that's it, none of the conditions that I did not mention have any bearing whatsoever with the ESA descriptor that I was relying on. Surely the idea of a good ESA claim is to be factual about what the condition and how it affects you relevant to the particular descriptor. All of my conditions affect me in many different ways. But not all of them would qualify me for points. So why bother giving the DWP chapter and verse if they are not relevant? I have never had to go to a Tribunal for any of my claims. OK, the first time I claimed ESA I received 0 points, but when I pointed out to the DWP where they had gone wrong and supplied some evidence in support of that, they changed their minds and put me in the Support Group.

Agh, fairplay to your GP! Even if your GP told you to claim ESA - YOU CHOSE TO APPLY! Otherwise how would you live if you couldn't work! You had to fill in the ESA form and answer all the relevant questions even with 'sick notes'!

Of course I chose to claim ESA - I was entitled to it. Given what my GP had certified me as the reason why he thought I was unfit for work, I went on to make the claim based on that particular condition. Adding other conditions would have simply confused everybody as they had absolutely nothing to do with the reason why I was off sick.

All of my benefit claims have been successful eventually. So based on that record and never having been to a Tribunal for an appeal, I think my actions and the way I view claiming works quite well.
  • tinkledom
    edited 7 February 2014 at 10:08PM
    Options
    Parva wrote: »
    Sadly, he won't leave so easily, he will get a PPR, have a two week break then return on another account. Frankly, I do not for one minute believe that he actually takes his own advice, this has varied from refusing to provide any evidence to support a claim for ESA / DLA or whatever to the current claims of he can't be bothered to add any other medical conditions which may impact quality of life over the initial problem, be that mental health, spinal problems or pancreatic issues.

Nobody that spends so much time here explaining such can justifiably expect us to believe that they have not got the time to explain this in order to get a claim accepted. His agenda to derail people in genuine need never changes, only the name.

Believe what you want, I don't particularly care. What I can say is that I have quoted the truth about my benefit claims and the results I have obtained. that is important to other posters who may be looking for advice.

You can think what you want, the fact is I know what is the truth of the matter.

I would direct you to the explanation above that may just enlighten you a little.

If you think that writing chapter and verse about every illness/disability/conditions showing the interlinking between them all and how each affects the other is the way forward, then you carry on. But what is important at the end of the day is proving that you qualify having established that you are at least 90%+ entitled. To qualify for example for HRM, you have to demonstrate with evidence that you have difficulty in walking the distance specified for DLA. There is absolutely no point in explaining how I suffer from Chronic Pancreatitis and the needs/difficulties I face everyday when considering walking for the HRM test. You need to show why the physical fact of walking is difficult which I do using the relevant conditions/disabilities - physical problems with my legs!

The same applies to IIDB. That is claimed only for my mental condition. What my thrombosis has to do with it I don't know.
  • tinkledom
    Options
    Morglin wrote: »
    You could always do what many of the rest of us do - put all of your disabilities onto something like Word programme, put how they affect you and interact with each other, and then SAVE IT.

You do it ONCE, and then just make any light amendments, as necessary.

If you are worried about the comp packing up and losing it, then EMail it to yourself and save in a folder.

Then, for whatever claim/review, you can briefly explain on the form, what is wrong with you, and then print off a copy and attach the aforementioned sheet, plus any evidence you have from medics.

How us it that you can post reams on here and cannot type yourself a supporting statement for claims?

Lin :think:

Simply because not all of my conditions/disabilities/illnesses are relevant to the benefits I claim for.
    As an example and I mentioned it earlier. Why would I want to go into great depth on my mental health issues with my ESA claim when (a) the GP hasn't certified that that was a reason why I can't work, (b) it has no bearing whatsoever with Chronic Pancreatitis. As I have said, I crossed all of the mental health pages of the ESA50 through with a line and wrote on each page - 'Not relevant to the condition being claimed for'.
  • tinkledom
    Options
    Indie_Kid wrote: »
    Why would you not mention all your disabilities? With just one disability, it may not be that disabling. But when you have that plus something else, that's when it becomes disabling.

All of my conditions/disabilities are disabling in one way or another. I don't consider it appropriate to muddy the waters by explaining about one particular disability alongside a disability that does cause the problems and needs for that particular benefit.

As an example.
    DLA - I have great difficulty walking, why? because of the problems with my legs.
    DLA - I have care needs, why? because of the damage to my spine etc
    ESA - I have been certified as too sick to work by my GP, why? because it is difficult to work with what is wrong with my pancreas.
    IIDB - I have had an industrial accident, why, my mental health has been affected by it which has changed me as a person.
  • fed_up_and_stressed
    Options
    Tinkledom, this thread isn't about YOU.

The OP was asking about PIP claims when suffering from M.E ...as you don't believe M.E exists. Please can you stop derailing this thread away from the original question.
    Spelling courtesy of the whims of auto correct...

Pet Peeves.... queues, vain people and hypocrites ..not necessarily in that order.
  • tinkledom
    Options
    Your life must be very difficult. I'm just curious how your industrial injury and mental health problems fitted around your career as an examiner for the insolvency service.

The IJ happened in Dec 1995.

I re-joined the service many years later - 2003.

With treatment and drugs, it was possible for me to go back to work. Why ask? I'm sure that the DWP were more than satisfied with my claims throughout the period seeing as they re-awarded it at the 40% rate. Or maybe they got it wrong, and I produced a whole wad of fraudulent evidence?? Mind you the hospital trust would have had to have been in on the conspiracy as well as that is where I obtain the evidence from.
  • tinkledom
    Options
    Tinkledom, this thread isn't about YOU.

The OP was asking about PIP claims when suffering from M.E ...as you don't believe M.E exists. Please can you stop derailing this thread away from the original question.

OK.

Applying for PIP is it worth it?

Yes and no.

It all depends on whether you would be able to show and prove with evidence as to which descriptor you would be relying on and the level of disability/needs that you have. If you are thinking that you would gain less than 8 points, then making the application would be a waste of your time.

If however you believe that you would gain in excess 8 points, then, yes apply.

Quite simple really.
  • A_Flock_Of_Sheep
    Options
    ME to be fair easily fits many of the descriptors. I know two people now who have got PIP and they have ME and found the process easier than DLA.

Remember the keynotes of PIP. Can yo do the things safely, reliably and REPEATEDLY. And with ME it is this that seems to be winning claims. With ME you may be able to do things once or twice but it is the repeatedly where it counts. So don't think of the descriptors as somethng you do once. How would repeatedly doing them affect your fatigue levels. With ME repetition causes relapse. It is all about preventing the relapses. So if avoiding the repetition of cooking - which happens 3 times a day will assist your managing the condition then you should be found to gain that descriptor.

Just think about your condition, the descriptors and the rules behind them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure