Carer's Allowance - stunned

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• PolishBigSpender
    Options
    jac/norm wrote: »
    I too care for my husband and we both get sick of every so often some one who comes along that has no idea what being a carer entails. I am worn out all the time and I have health problems (heart complaint) but, there is no chance of getting a break. I also care for my adult son but still only get one payment of care allowance I wonder if Polish would do the amount of work this involves for just over £50 per week bearing in mind you have to be available 24hrs 7 days a week.

It would be helpful if you read what I was saying, rather than blindly assuming that I'm against carers.

I'm strongly for providing an increased allowance to those who perform significant care duties, what could be considered a full time job. Those people are heroic in my view - and 50 pounds a week is indeed an insult given the cost to society if the person was receving care elsewhere.

I'm simply against the over-diagnosis of ADHD that is prevalent in Western societies, particularly in terms of ADHD being used to award financial benefits.

Incidentally, thank you very much to kidtechnical for the link - in particular, this caught my eye.
    'The elimination of artificial colouring and additives is not recommended as a general applicable treatment for children and young people with ADHD'.

Funny how so many parents claim that their child's ADHD is made worse by the colourings...which goes to show that ADHD can quite easily be twisted to suit someone's motives.

Fascinating stuff, thank you :)
    From Poland...with love.

They are (they're)
    sitting on the floor.
    Their
    books are lying on the floor.
    The books are sitting just there on the floor.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

Incidentally, thank you very much to kidtechnical for the link - in particular, this caught my eye.

The elimination of artificial colouring and additives from the diet is not recommended as a generally applicable treatment for children and young people with ADHD.

Funny how so many parents claim that their child's ADHD is made worse by the colourings...which goes to show that ADHD can quite easily be twisted to suit someone's motives.

Fascinating stuff, thank you :)

Perhaps you should read the next paragraph:

Clinical assessment of ADHD in children and young people should include asking about foods or drinks that appear to influence their hyperactive behaviour. If there is a clear link, healthcare professionals should advise parents or carers to keep a diary of food and drinks taken and ADHD behaviour. If the diary supports a relationship between specific foods and drinks and behaviour, then referral to a dietitian should be offered.
  • Blackpool_Saver
    Blackpool_Saver Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Options
    PBS, I think you will find that drs /psychs try removing potential other problems colours additives etc so as to be more accurate in reaching a diagnosis.
    Medical opinion is just that and it does change, my son has ADHD/Bipolar and his psych reckons ADHD in childhood is often bipolar.
    Having said all this of course it can be used as a catch all for hard to manage children, but usually methylphenidate (Ritalin) does not work in that case.
    Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

• cymrubaby
    cymrubaby Posts: 173 Forumite
    Options
    meema wrote: »
    Hi, I have a question about carer's allowance & hoping someone here can advise. If a person gives up their full-time job, to care for a disabled partner full-time then they are entitled to £50 per week?? For example, if I was in this situation (I'm not) I would give up my £450 per week job for £50 per week???

I'm so stunned by this. How much does it cost to have paid carers coming in 4 times a day, 5 days a week? It just seems like such a false economy.

Sadly it is true - having had to give up work myself to care for my son who is severely disabled. My fave restriction on the allowance is that you cannot claim whilst in full-time education as you are no longer considered the person's full-time carer. This is relevant to me because I start uni in September. It seems a silly rule because I would be paid the CA if I sat at home all day waiting for my son to come home from school but wouldn't get paid it if I made use of my time and went to uni whilst he's receiving his education at school all day (he starts full-time school in September).

This is no longer an issue for us as my husband was recently made redundant and so I can transfer CA to him when I start my degree as then he will be classed as full-time carer. Sadly though, this won't be the case for many other people who have little choice but to care for a disabled relative but want to study. I want a degree to improve my life and that of my children yet it seems I would be discrimnated against for something that doesn't even cut into my time caring for my son.

Caring isn't a 9-5 job and I think (don't quote me on this) that you're deemed a full-time carer if you care for that person more than 30 hours a week. My son is often up all night vomiting with reflux plus he's fed at night through a gastrostomy tube and so a proportion of my time is spent caring for him at night. I'm pretty certain that, alongside Uni, I will be caring for him for more than 30 hours a week - that includes evenings, weekends, nights, mornings. Some people might care for a relative for 30 hours over a weekend but still wouldn't be entitled to the money if they studied full-time during the week.

CA needs a big overhaul as soon as possible because I'm pretty sure lots of people are slipping through the net when it comes to support. Caring for a disabled relative is hard work and the hours a family carer puts in is probably two or three times as much as an outside carer from an agency who would get paid probably four or five times the amount of carer's allowance.

Some parents have to give up work permanently and then end up in poverty because the allowance is so small. Putting families on the breadline versus lining the pockets of agency carer's seems so pointless. Carer's allowance should accurately reflect the work a carer actually puts in and I think that CA shouldn't be a fixed amount - it should be based on the amount of caring and expertise needed for caring for that person.

I've practically turned into a nurse and physiotherapist for my son whilst using all the medical equipment. In fact, whilst in hospital I have had to show nurses how to change a mic-key button (the opening in my son's stomach has a button inserted in it so that a feeding tube can be attached) and also how to work his feeding pump.

I would love to attend a peaceful protest and give my support but I cannot get anyone to watch my children - the irony.
  • carlislelass
    carlislelass Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    my husband is not "disabled enough" for me to claim CA, I`m not the only one to lose out although I don`t class myself as his carer..when we married I "took him on " as he was.
  • granny_grey_hips
    granny_grey_hips Posts: 18 Forumite
    edited 7 May 2009 at 1:43PM
    Options
    I cared for my mun who had Alzheimer's,Crohn's disease ,Angina The amount of medication she was on made her general health worse.She was in and out of hospital on a regular basis over a nine year period. i did not know i could claim disability for her let alone carers for me. we got the benefit's a year before she passed away but not very many people know what they are entitled to. i have always been disgusted at how we are treated like second class citizens.i was always made to feel like why should i be paid to look after my own mum. i received £42 a week which £25 of that went to my sister for helping me out whilst i fetched my child from school. mine went towards the petrol in the week taking my sister back home which was ten miles there and ten miles coming back.
    i now claim disability for my child who has autism but my carers was stopped because that's what they do. I had to go through a lengthy appeal but was finally given back his low and middle rate disability but because i had to get another job i am now not entitled to carers because i earn £96 a week i cant go over £80
    I work extremely hard with my child but i cant afford to give up £96 to get £50 in return. i know someone who receives over a thousand pound in benefit's a month who can go out clubbing buy what they when they want and then moan when they have none left.
    i am always left gob smacked............
  • mummytofour
    mummytofour Posts: 2,636 Forumite
    Options
    Given the 'debate' in progress I thought I'd post this link to NICEs Guideline on the Diagnosis and Management of ADHD in children, young people and adults. Hope it helps.

http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/pdf/CG72NiceGuidelinev3.pdf

Thank you SO much I have never seen the guidelines before. It is not until you read them you realise how much ADHD effects suffers and the families. I am a mum to a son with ADHD. I did get cares but now as a student altho I still put in the same amount of care and am up most nights with him, I am no longer entitled to C/A. I really wish that society would not view ADHD as SIMPLY naughty kids and blame the families. ADHD destroys families and should never be under estimated.

By the way, my son may have ADHD and be a nightmare to live with but he is also one of the most amazing ppl I know as I say never under estimate ADHD.
    Debt free and plan on staying that way!!!!
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    i now claim disability for my child who has autism but my carers was stopped because that's what they do. I had to go through a lengthy appeal but was finally given back his low and middle rate disability but because i had to get another job i am now not entitled to carers because i earn £96 a week i cant go over £80

Not sure what you mean by I can't go over £80. You can earn up to £95 a week after deductions. As you are allowed to deduct the following

• some National Insurance (NI) contributions
    • Income Tax
    • half of any money you pay towards personal or occupational pension schemes
    • other expenses you have to pay because they are a necessary part of your job
    HTH.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family