Carer's Allowance - stunned

Options

Comments

• gregg1
    gregg1 Posts: 3,148 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Excuse me? You're calling me an idiot, when you can't even use scientific proof to debate a point rationally and maturely? I'm not interested in what hysterical women have to say, I'm simply interested in the facts surrounding ADHD. If you don't like this - don't post.

Given the amount of money invested into ADHD treatment, you'd think that they would find some sort of proof or at least reliable measurement for it. The fact that they haven't lends itself to the 'invented' theory. It certainly seems to me as a biologist that ADHD research is often carried out to benefit the drug companies, not the individuals. The fact that prominent psychiatrists are speaking out against ADHD is also very significant - should they have their findings ignored, just because they didn't find any proof to support the existence of ADHD?

Yes, and I'd distinctly place 'funding by drug companies' in the 'bad research' column when it comes to ADHD. Given the potential profits and new markets, it's no surprise that there's a vast amount of somewhat...dubious research on the matter.

I'm a biologist by trade. It's my job to be interested in biology. ADHD is possibly (although completely unproven!) a biological issue, therefore it interests me. Anyway, I know some atheists who are very interested in religion. Should they be banned from persuing their interest, just because they don't believe it exists? Of course not.

What do you know about the whole alleged 'brains wired differently' matter? Next to nothing, I would imagine.

As for headaches, the problem with them is not so much the lack of scientific testing, as the fact that scientists disagree on their cause.

I'm a trained scientist with a Masters level qualification in a scientific subject. You don't work. Hmmm.... I know who I'd back in any scientific discussion.

Unfortunately for you, you misinterpreted my point. I wasn't referring to ADHD children, but rather the fact that there has been some evidence in America that concerns parents encouraging an ADHD diagnosis so that their child can be prescribed with Ritalin, thus improving performance. If you know so much, didn't you know that Ritalin has been abused by university students for academic gain?

Isn't it terrifying for you that ADHD can be wrongly diagnosed so easily and the system abused just so a child can perform better in school?

This is the fundamental flaw with ADHD - with the lack of a scientific test combined with differences in diagnosis, it simply cannot be taken seriously by any serious scientist. And this is where the children with real problems are failed.

Benefits are awarded on the basis of 'may'?

It should be certainly linked to a course of treatment approved by a medical professional. If there's no treatment, fair enough - but it would seem reasonable to expect someone to be accessing treatment if it's available.

Unlike you, I stick to commenting on areas where I at least have a smidgen of knowledge and, again, unlike you, I do not have the time to peruse random websites. I thought it would be obvious even to you that that most medications are at some point abused by SOME people. However, going on my own experience Ritalin can prove to be beneficial when used in the correct way and can help improve concentration and subsequently performance.

A biologist by "trade"? Last week you were an expert on disability and benefits were you not? How many more strings to your bow?
  • PolishBigSpender
    PolishBigSpender Posts: 3,771 Forumite
    edited 14 April 2009 at 8:30PM
    Options
    novelli wrote: »
    the fact that the disorder exists is far beyond debate, so go and find another bandwagon to jump upon polish!!

Is it? That would be why many medical professionals (some of whom who make my own qualifications look like they were obtained in Disneyland!) are disputing the existence of the disorder? Given that no-one has conclusively proved the existence of ADHD, don't you think that perhaps, maybe, you should try looking at it from a subjective, scientific point of view?
    just because u are a so called biologist b y trade does not make u any better or more informed than anyone else.
    It makes me able to look at things in a cold, rational, scientific way though. People that aren't scientists often have huge problems with detaching their emotions from reality.

All I'm asking for is for people to consider every aspect of why a child is behaving in a certain way before labelling it. It might very well be parental failure - certainly, observations in daily life can tell you how much influence the parents have over a child. For this reason, ADHD is a very flawed disorder - and while I'm not promoting the 'social theory' that some do, it certainly should be considered that ADHD-like symptoms can be a response to family influence.
    I could in fact provide far more evidence to back up the fact it exists, but in all honestly i dont have the time or inclination, too busy caring for a disabled child.
    Go ahead, I'd be fascinated to see if you could come up with some research that wasn't scientifically flawed and was funded by the general public purse rather than by the drug companies or anyone else trying to push a certain agenda. Given that some of the most virulent criticism came from publiclly funded institutions, don't you think that their side should be listened to, at least?
    Its not always possible to educate those who are so narrow minded so i gave up long ago with fellows such as yourself, its not worth the effort, as u dont want to learn anything about the disorder, just to criticise it and its sufferers. shame on you.
    Narrow minded? I'm willing to consider all aspects. I'm not willing to be insulted by someone who clearly has no experience in scientific research, however.

Ultimately, you can't argue with the cold facts - ADHD cannot be proved, and thus the very existence of the disorder is questionable.
    gregg1 wrote:
    However, going on my own experience Ritalin can prove to be beneficial when used in the correct way and can help improve concentration and subsequently performance.

And you've just proven my point. Given that ADHD diagnosis is entirely subjective and can be easily subjected to the routine of visiting various doctors until you find one that will prescribe what you want, you've just shown that Ritalin can be abused in such a way. Thanks :)
    From Poland...with love.

They are (they're)
    sitting on the floor.
    Their
    books are lying on the floor.
    The books are sitting just there on the floor.
  • gregg1
    gregg1 Posts: 3,148 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is it? That would be why many medical professionals (some of whom who make my own qualifications look like they were obtained in Disneyland!) are disputing the existence of the disorder? Given that no-one has conclusively proved the existence of ADHD, don't you think that perhaps, maybe, you should try looking at it from a subjective, scientific point of view?

It makes me able to look at things in a cold, rational, scientific way though. People that aren't scientists often have huge problems with detaching their emotions from reality.

All I'm asking for is for people to consider every aspect of why a child is behaving in a certain way before labelling it. It might very well be parental failure - certainly, observations in daily life can tell you how much influence the parents have over a child. For this reason, ADHD is a very flawed disorder - and while I'm not promoting the 'social theory' that some do, it certainly should be considered that ADHD-like symptoms can be a response to family influence.

Go ahead, I'd be fascinated to see if you could come up with some research that wasn't scientifically flawed and was funded by the general public purse rather than by the drug companies or anyone else trying to push a certain agenda. Given that some of the most virulent criticism came from publiclly funded institutions, don't you think that their side should be listened to, at least?

Narrow minded? I'm willing to consider all aspects. I'm not willing to be insulted by someone who clearly has no experience in scientific research, however.

Ultimately, you can't argue with the cold facts - ADHD cannot be proved, and thus the very existence of the disorder is questionable.

And you've just proven my point. Given that ADHD diagnosis is entirely subjective and can be easily subjected to the routine of visiting various doctors until you find one that will prescribe what you want, you've just shown that Ritalin can be abused in such a way. Thanks :)

Where in God's name did I say anything about visiting various doctors? Talk about twisting someone's words to try and justify yourself! Read my post again. I agreed that Ritalin can be abused - in the same way that any drug can be. That is not to say it is not beneficial to kids who genuinely need it. I do not believe for one moment you are scientist. Your "qualifications" are probably as false as the information you give out on here!
  • meema
    meema Posts: 100 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi ADHD debaters :)

I have an excellent article in which two psychologists go 'head to head' in a debate about adhd. Feel free to pm me with your email address if you would like a copy.
  • meema
    meema Posts: 100 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The petition closed a couple of days ago, and managed to get about 1100 signatures..thanks very much :)

The protests are tomorrow in edinburgh and london. It might make the news (depending on what else happens in the world that day).
  • Sylvia*J_2
    Options
    meema wrote: »
    The petition closed a couple of days ago, and managed to get about 1100 signatures..thanks very much :)

The protests are tomorrow in edinburgh and london. It might make the news (depending on what else happens in the world that day).

I hope the protests go well. It is about time that carers were recognised for the great job they do.
    I am a carer for my husband and have had to fight for benefits.

Polish needs to spend a week doing the job that carers do then they maybe not so quick to judge.
  • jacnorm
    jacnorm Posts: 410 Forumite
    Options
    Sylvia*J wrote: »
    I hope the protests go well. It is about time that carers were recognised for the great job they do.
    I am a carer for my husband and have had to fight for benefits.

Polish needs to spend a week doing the job that carers do then they maybe not so quick to judge.

I too care for my husband and we both get sick of every so often some one who comes along that has no idea what being a carer entails. I am worn out all the time and I have health problems (heart complaint) but, there is no chance of getting a break. I also care for my adult son but still only get one payment of care allowance I wonder if Polish would do the amount of work this involves for just over £50 per week bearing in mind you have to be available 24hrs 7 days a week.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    meema wrote: »

Tomorrow? Out of all days :o There is a Parent Partnership conference and workshop in Barnet, London. There will be hundreds of parents/carers attending that could have gone to the march.
  • kidtechnical
    Options
    I just tried to sign the petition but unfortunately it's closed.

My son gets DLA, high rate for care, low rate for mobility. Because of his need for routine I work part time hours, working full time isn't an option as it would be too disruptive to us as a family and his school work and behaviour would suffer. I can't claim Carers Allowance because I earn more than £95 a week, although I am a 'carer' and as such earn 1/2 of what I could be earning.

This is a useful link for info on carers allowance, who can & can't claim it and how it will affect other benefits (apologies if it's already on this thread).

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/Caringforsomeone/DG_10018705
  • kidtechnical
    Options
    Given the 'debate' in progress I thought I'd post this link to NICEs Guideline on the Diagnosis and Management of ADHD in children, young people and adults. Hope it helps.

http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/pdf/CG72NiceGuidelinev3.pdf
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport