Carer's Allowance - stunned

Options

Comments

• PolishBigSpender
    Options
    While I will admit some cases are down to bad parenting or troubled homelife. There are also cases where the child is ill and needs help.

It's hard to disagree with this. I certainly think there are children who suffer from attention-related problems, however, the cause of these problems should be looked at before benefits are handed out. A child who is persistently badly behaved may be labelled as 'ADHD' - when in reality, the child may simply be bored senseless. This is the huge, inherent problem with ADHD - it seems easier to medicate and pay the benefits than it does to find an actual cure.
    PBS the mobility is awarded because of the assumed lack of control the parents have, they require taxis for outings or a car as the childs behaviour is unpredictable. So NO it isn't needed.

I'm more mystified than ever - isn't it a parental duty to look after a child? All children are capable of being out of control - and for the 'mobility' component to be awarded simply confuses me.

The real tragedy in this situation is that children are medicated and given benefits...only to be forgotten about. The parents have the benefit money, the child is medicated and thus quiet in school and everyone's happy - except the child who ends up with zero prospects.
    From Poland...with love.

They are (they're)
    sitting on the floor.
    Their
    books are lying on the floor.
    The books are sitting just there on the floor.
  • novelli
    novelli Posts: 646 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Shall we start with looking at ADHD itself, then?

I found some interesting research from some well qualified individuals which raise the following points about ADHD.
    • it is a clinical diagnosis for which there are no laboratory or radiological confirmatory tests or specific physical features
    • diagnostic criteria have changed frequently
    • the rates of diagnosis and of treatment substantially differ across countries, particularly Britain, Australia, Canada, and the United States
    As a trained scientist, it would seem that ADHD has no scientific merit - particularly as there is no way of measuring it. Compared to other psychological/neurological disorders, it appears that ADHD is very subjective - and a patient can be interpreted in different ways.

Then there is the very persuasive argument that ADHD children simply do not behave in the way that society expects them to, thus the labelling of the children as having a 'disorder'. Perhaps the argument falls down when you see violent behaviour from ADHD children - but there is no way to measure this, particularly if the child was allowed to be violent when small.

The terrifying thing for me is that there is some evidence to suggest that parents are using ADHD drugs in order to improve their child's performance in school. This is frankly terrifying and disturbing, and although I haven't researched it fully, it would seem that ADHD can be thoroughly abused by parents intent on academic gain by their children.

I would be interested in having one question answered.

Why do ADHD children receive the mobility component of DLA? There seems to be quite a few people on this forum who are receiving this - but what is it awarded for? I can understand it being given to Autistic children - but for those solely with ADHD, what is the justification for the award?

why dont u toddle off and join the church of scientologists!!!!!! they love idiots like you!!
    no proof so u think it doesnt exist!!!! not a very good scientist then are you!!!!!!!!
    there is good and bad research, always has been and always will be, same as there is for most disorders.
    why are u so interested in the subject if you do not believe it exists!!!!!
    The brain is wired differently in ADHD people, theres plenty of proof of that.
    there is no scientific test for a headache, but would u deny they exist????
    You are clearly an easily led fool, who jumps on any bandwagon u can find to cause a little conflict.
    people u should just ignore this person, maybe then they will go away!!:T
  • gregg1
    gregg1 Posts: 3,148 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Shall we start with looking at ADHD itself, then?

I found some interesting research from some well qualified individuals which raise the following points about ADHD.
    • it is a clinical diagnosis for which there are no laboratory or radiological confirmatory tests or specific physical features
    • diagnostic criteria have changed frequently
    • the rates of diagnosis and of treatment substantially differ across countries, particularly Britain, Australia, Canada, and the United States
    As a trained scientist, it would seem that ADHD has no scientific merit - particularly as there is no way of measuring it. Compared to other psychological/neurological disorders, it appears that ADHD is very subjective - and a patient can be interpreted in different ways.

Then there is the very persuasive argument that ADHD children simply do not behave in the way that society expects them to, thus the labelling of the children as having a 'disorder'. Perhaps the argument falls down when you see violent behaviour from ADHD children - but there is no way to measure this, particularly if the child was allowed to be violent when small.

The terrifying thing for me is that there is some evidence to suggest that parents are using ADHD drugs in order to improve their child's performance in school. This is frankly terrifying and disturbing, and although I haven't researched it fully, it would seem that ADHD can be thoroughly abused by parents intent on academic gain by their children.

I would be interested in having one question answered.

Why do ADHD children receive the mobility component of DLA? There seems to be quite a few people on this forum who are receiving this - but what is it awarded for? I can understand it being given to Autistic children - but for those solely with ADHD, what is the justification for the award?

Yet again you have given in to your regular need to trawl through "random websites" gathering inaccurate information and then come on here and spout it with little or no regard to whether it is either accurate or welcome.

It should not take a univeristy degree to realise that of course a child with ADHD and who is given the correct medication for his/her needs will find their performance at school improves and of course that is one of the reasons these children are given help in this way. To enable them to get the start in life they deserve with a fair shot at an education which is their right. Why on earth you would find this fact "terrifying" is rather ridiculous and over the top to say the least! Unlike you, I actually work with these children and know what I am talking about!
  • starchild1972
    Options
    There is no test for M.E. or fibromyalgia either but they exist!
  • starchild1972
    Options
    Why do some people with bi-polar get low rate mobility? Why some people with aspergers?
    Because they can't deal with travelling by bus or train or in situations that may cause their condition to decline.

If you believe that DLA should be linked to treatment, well that means many people with disabilities and chronic ill health for which there is no treatment obviously should not get any!
  • RoxsiScotland
    Options
    on a positive note, i just signed and was number 977, so hopefully will hit the 1000 mark sometime soon!
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    Two of my friends have signed too!
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Merry_Gentry
    Merry_Gentry Posts: 3,627 Forumite
    Options
    Signer #980
    Get free advice before embarking on bankruptcy: CCCS 0800 138 1111 National Debtline 0808 808 4000
    Business Debt Line 0800 197 6026 CAB Insolvency Service- 0845 602 9848
    "He who laughs last didn't get it!" :rotfl:BSC 134

• PolishBigSpender
    PolishBigSpender Posts: 3,771 Forumite
    edited 13 April 2009 at 8:33PM
    Options
    novelli wrote: »
    why dont u toddle off and join the church of scientologists!!!!!! they love idiots like you!!

Excuse me? You're calling me an idiot, when you can't even use scientific proof to debate a point rationally and maturely? I'm not interested in what hysterical women have to say, I'm simply interested in the facts surrounding ADHD. If you don't like this - don't post.
    no proof so u think it doesnt exist!!!! not a very good scientist then are you!!!!!!!!
    Given the amount of money invested into ADHD treatment, you'd think that they would find some sort of proof or at least reliable measurement for it. The fact that they haven't lends itself to the 'invented' theory. It certainly seems to me as a biologist that ADHD research is often carried out to benefit the drug companies, not the individuals. The fact that prominent psychiatrists are speaking out against ADHD is also very significant - should they have their findings ignored, just because they didn't find any proof to support the existence of ADHD?
    there is good and bad research, always has been and always will be, same as there is for most disorders.
    Yes, and I'd distinctly place 'funding by drug companies' in the 'bad research' column when it comes to ADHD. Given the potential profits and new markets, it's no surprise that there's a vast amount of somewhat...dubious research on the matter.
    why are u so interested in the subject if you do not believe it exists!!!!
    I'm a biologist by trade. It's my job to be interested in biology. ADHD is possibly (although completely unproven!) a biological issue, therefore it interests me. Anyway, I know some atheists who are very interested in religion. Should they be banned from persuing their interest, just because they don't believe it exists? Of course not.
    The brain is wired differently in ADHD people, theres plenty of proof of that.
    there is no scientific test for a headache, but would u deny they exist????
    What do you know about the whole alleged 'brains wired differently' matter? Next to nothing, I would imagine.

As for headaches, the problem with them is not so much the lack of scientific testing, as the fact that scientists disagree on their cause.
    You are clearly an easily led fool, who jumps on any bandwagon u can find to cause a little conflict.
    I'm a trained scientist with a Masters level qualification in a scientific subject. You don't work. Hmmm.... I know who I'd back in any scientific discussion.
    gregg1 wrote:
    It should not take a univeristy degree to realise that of course a child with ADHD and who is given the correct medication for his/her needs will find their performance at school improves and of course that is one of the reasons these children are given help in this way. To enable them to get the start in life they deserve with a fair shot at an education which is their right. Why on earth you would find this fact "terrifying" is rather ridiculous and over the top to say the least! Unlike you, I actually work with these children and know what I am talking about!

Unfortunately for you, you misinterpreted my point. I wasn't referring to ADHD children, but rather the fact that there has been some evidence in America that concerns parents encouraging an ADHD diagnosis so that their child can be prescribed with Ritalin, thus improving performance. If you know so much, didn't you know that Ritalin has been abused by university students for academic gain?

Isn't it terrifying for you that ADHD can be wrongly diagnosed so easily and the system abused just so a child can perform better in school?

This is the fundamental flaw with ADHD - with the lack of a scientific test combined with differences in diagnosis, it simply cannot be taken seriously by any serious scientist. And this is where the children with real problems are failed.
    Why do some people with bi-polar get low rate mobility? Why some people with aspergers?
    Because they can't deal with travelling by bus or train or in situations that may cause their condition to decline.

Benefits are awarded on the basis of 'may'?
    If you believe that DLA should be linked to treatment, well that means many people with disabilities and chronic ill health for which there is no treatment obviously should not get any!

It should be certainly linked to a course of treatment approved by a medical professional. If there's no treatment, fair enough - but it would seem reasonable to expect someone to be accessing treatment if it's available.
    From Poland...with love.

They are (they're)
    sitting on the floor.
    Their
    books are lying on the floor.
    The books are sitting just there on the floor.
  • meema
    meema Posts: 100 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Signer #980

great news..hope we're going to hit the 1000!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure