Cheap Airport Parking Discussion

Options

Comments

• aidanjc
    Options
    Hoping my experience may help others.

I used this company when I went skiing in February from Luton and it was a great service. So good in fact that when I recently went to Portugal from Luton I used them again but had a less than happy experience the second time..

When I left my car with them it was a sunny Friday afternoon. When I returned it was after midnight, wet and dark. The collection point where we waited for the driver was dark and poorly lit. The driver gave me my keys and exchanged hardly any words. Within minutes of leaving the airport under the motorway lighting I noticed a very large hairline crack in the windscreen which was not there when I left for my holiday. I immediately phoned back on the number I had used to let the driver know we had cleared baggage reclaim. I told him of the crack. He told me simply to email the office. He seemed sheepish and did not say much but English was not his first language anyway. I suspect they are told not to enter into any discussion is these situations and simply say “email the office”.

I did this the very next day with lots of photographs taken in the dark on my way home from the airport where I pulled over at the first service station I came to and got no response at all. After four days of no responses I telephoned yesterday to be told by the lady I booked with that "Customer Complaints” were looking into it and I would get an email.

About an hour later I got a badly worded brief email written denying any responsibility saying that they do not check windscreens and the damage wasn't notified when the vehicle was collected. This crack is so big there is no way that anyone would not have seen it in a car park over a period of ten days or indeed anyone driving it for more than a few minutes.

Most of the numbers used are mobile numbers even for booking which seems odd. I get the impression it is an operation run from a very small premises by perhaps two or three family members.
    Luckily it could be worse and it wasn't our main family car but a second car run-around. I would look at all the exclusions shown on the website if anyone is thinking of booking. Although a user of this website for many years I have not posted messages before and as a new user am not allowed to post links. It is simply drivefly with a .co.uk. Hope I am allowed to do it that way...

They seem to accept responsibility for nothing. I would be very concerned about leaving a good car with them. Clause 5.2 states that even if they agree compensation they won't be responsible for the first £200 of any claim up to £1,000 or £400 for any claim over £1,000. That seems odd where they have damaged your vehicle that you the customer have to pay an "excess" for their damage.
    In summary STEER WELL CLEAR OF DRIVEFLY airport parking based on my experience. Otherwise book at your peril….

PS - they operate at Heathrow and Gatwick as well. if you must use them I would suggest taking photos all around your car before departure and check extremely carefully on your return. I suspect they would still try to deny any responsibility though.

Happy Holidays!
  • IanNWendy
    Options
    We have just used Magic Parking limited, for our meet and greet airport parking. It was all so easy to use, we booked online with no problems, met the driver at the airport and off we went. Car was waiting for us on our return. First ever time of using meet and greet airport parking, will definately use Magic Parking Limited again. We flew from Heathrow Terminal 4. We have now booked a week in October and have booked Magic Parking Gatwick this time will let you all know how it goes. Easy to find just type Magic Parking into Google.
  • mnavarra
    mnavarra Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Need to get some on-site parking at London Gatwick for a week in Sept. Anyone have any useful weblinks or codes for a good price online? Would like to use the car parks within the Gatwick site.

Thanks
  • TrowbridgeTraveller
    Options
    I've found the following site useful :

www.purpleparkin.co.uk

It has links to a lot of the main airport parking companies (eg Airparks, APH, Purple Parking). I find it easy to use this page and open up a load of links on new tabs, and I can compare from there.
  • IanNWendy
    Options
    Hi Mnavarra we booked using MagicParking.co.uk and the service was so stress free, easy to find prices and drivers where on time on drop off and collection. The website is well worth a look as the booking form is also fun to use. Have a look and let me know if you agree.

It might of been MagicParking.com

Ian and Wendy
  • smoggylass
    Options
    Newcastle airport new codes are JET2 and LS7. It was £42.99 and i got it for £29.99
  • edmund_blackadder
    Options
    blindman wrote: »
    Essential travel have a price guarantee which seems to be fallible- i.e you can find prices to beat them and hence get free parking.

The credit goes to hotUKdeals

I’m just mentioning it here as I’ve not seen it on MSE and it still seems to be valid

I got a 21 day parking stint at LHR for free (Purple Parking with ITT code was £70) by getting their quote(for another car park provider) and then finding a cheaper one with the same provider.

I paid for their quote (and just to be safe added the 50p claim waiver fee) and then emailed CS.
    I was contacted by their CS within 24 hours who told me my claim was valid and my CC was refunded the original cost 3 working days later.

I used Airport-parking- Shop to find cheaper comparisons. There are other such as
    Parking4less.

Oh and don't forget to go Through Quidco or TCB-Quidco tracked for me-and I got paid £7.00 to park.:D

Good luck!

Thanks blindman.... this worked really well for me for our two weeks car parking at Birmingham Airport! :T Saved me just over £100!

The only downside was that I forgot to do the Quidco bit.... but I'll remember next time.
    I enjoy a pint of beer each night for it's health benefits. The other pints are for my witty comebacks and flawless dance moves.
  • GlennTheBaker
    Options
    Last week I booked a 1 night stay in October at the Heathrow Marriott hotel with parking for up to 15 days through Essential Travel for £172.68 (inc cancellation waiver). I found the same package for £154.80 through the hotel's own website so claimed under their "Free If It Is Cheaper" guarantee and have today received an email confirming my stay will be refunded in full.

I'm not even flying, I'm staying there after going to Legoland with my free tickets from The Sun.
    An update for anyone interested: I have this morning received a cheque for £154.80 from Essential Travel in respect of the above claim and the remainder will be refunded to my card upon completion of my stay :)
    This space has been intentionally left blank
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    An update for anyone interested: I have this morning received a cheque for £154.80 from Essential Travel in respect of the above claim and the remainder will be refunded to my card upon completion of my stay :)

Update:

Essential Travel now only refund the difference for Hotel + Parking
    Our Airport Hotel Price Guarantee

We guarantee that if you find the identical airport hotel (with or without parking) for less on the same day of booking with us and let us know immediately, we'll refund the difference in price of your booking.
    The parking only though is still free
    Best Prices Guaranteed or Park for FREE!

We guarantee that if you find the identical car park for less on the same day of booking with us, and let us know immediately, we’ll refund the whole price of your booking. That's right, we'll let you park for FREE!
  • RachVG
    RachVG Posts: 126 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Damn - just when I thought I'd found one, too!

Thanks for the update!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure