IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Given a parking ticket that had time left on it but now have been fined by a private comapny

Options
Bond00
Bond00 Posts: 12 Forumite
First Anniversary
edited 19 September 2018 at 6:38PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
This is my first time posting and l would appreciate some advice. My father went went into a car park near the bank and a helpful lady gave him her ticket. My dad was going to pay the pound but thanked her took it and displayed it whilst he went to the bank.He thought nothing of it but today a parking letter has arrived,stating that he is liable for £50.00 which will increase to £90 if not paid because of transferring a ticket to another car. I have yet to see the signs on the car park or see the full letter. Whatever people's views on this it was given as a gesture of goodwill and accepted. Apparently they have photographic evidence? l have told him not to pay it yet,and l am very annoyed that he has hand out his money to such bandits.
I would welcome advice and l am willing to act on his behalf.

Comments

• Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Which parking firm?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    Options
    see the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread at the top of this forum

in future, make sure the payment is made at the machine as they probably use VRM details, that person handing him the ticket could well be a sc@mmer wiating for just such a victim, as these tickets are usually not transferable

which PPC is it ?
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It very likely says on the ticket tbat eaz passed to hi 'this ticket is not transferable.
    Do they have photographic evidence of the ticket changing hands
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • The_Slithy_Tove
    Options
    McKneff wrote: »
    Do they have photographic evidence of the ticket changing hands
    It has been known for employees or "agents" of a parking company to entrap motorists by offering the partially used ticket, and then slapping a ticket on the car for that reason. Redx has already commented as such.

As stated, what is the evidence they are relying on? Unless it's one of those car parks where the ticket has the VRM on it, they will be hard pushed to prove it.
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    edited 17 September 2018 at 11:11PM
    Options
    Napier are going to state that no ticket was bought and the handed over ticket is not transferable

by all means appeal it if you wish but dont expect to have it cancelled, not by Napier and not by any IAS appeal either

I doubt that a judge will find in favour of the driver on this one

so dont expect a quick resolution , expect a legal dispute

tell him to check the signs and buy a ticket in future when its pay and display
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    You do need to read up on this in the newbies FAQ thread near the top of the forum to understand this game - get the keeper to read up there too

See the advice on dealing with IPC companies, get the keeper to send the template appeal and then ignore everything except court correspondence or a lbcca

Throughout here you are advised never to reveal who was driving

Edit your posts to remove details of who was driving
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We are in a guessing game here. We don't know if there was a notice saying tickets are not transferable, if the ticket required a vehicle registration or what.

If you can supply the details of what the signs said, what the parking arrangements re keying in reg no etc, then we may have a chance, but I fear that he will have an uphill struggle without, particularly if he is honest about getting a 2nd hand ticket.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    The all important odds of court http://www.parkingappeals.info/companydata/Napier_Parking.html

Take a look at them. I wouldn't see it as a lost cause just a bit of a gamble
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Bond00 wrote: »
    . Whatever people's views on this it was given as a gesture of goodwill and accepted. Apparently they have photographic evidence? l have told him not to pay it yet,he is the carer for my mom and l am very annoyed that he has hand out his money to such bandits.
    I would welcome advice and l am willing to act on his behalf.

I have often given these machine tickets to others, older
    people or young mums

15 spaces is a small car park and really not big enoigh
    for a resident warden

Napier offer a self ticketing system which means they
    take on someone to take pictures to earn commission

Explained here ...
    http://napierparking.co.uk/self-enforcement-solution

It is very debatable that this falls within their permission
    from the scam ATA, the IPC, to obtain data from the
    DVLA

A self ticketer is not employed by Napier and whilst anyone
    can take a picture of a car, it's the forwarding of data
    without permission from the car owner that is the problem
    as commission only workers who could be anyone, form
    no contract that is allowed

Couple this to pictures being taken by a "nobody" then this
    could be seen as predatory

You should send a SAR to Napier asking who took the pictures
    and proof of their authority to do so
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    beamerguy wrote: »
    I have often given these machine tickets to others, older
    people or young mums

You should explain to your chosen recipient the danger that using your gift instead of buying their own means they could be using an invalid ticket.

People doing this in car parks had lead to the annoyance of having to input your reg now as well as buy a ticket!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure