IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Given a parking ticket that had time left on it but now have been fined by a private comapny

Options

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    It's a really simple letter (see waamo's answer), in Dad's name, and maybe give them YOUR postal address as his 'address for service' of all letters from now on, so Dad doesn't see any of it and worry.

He then signs the letter or you could just squiggle it as if you are him...!

A SAR can indeed be a simple list of the data you want to see, and in this case it includes the data that caused them to make the decision that the driver had not displayed a valid ticket, and the notes made and photos taken.

It's about flushing out the truth. And that is addressed to their DPO.

And do an appeal in Dad's name as well, disputing that the driver did anything wrong and asking for their evidence that they intend to rely on if he chose to go to IAS stage.

Two letters in one envelope, very easy.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,743 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Maybe setting up a new email address with your dad's name on gmail might be a worthwhile tactic too.
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    KeithP wrote: »
    Maybe setting up a new email address with your dad's name on gmail might be a worthwhile tactic too.
    Yes, and KeithP does not mean for you to teach your DAD to use it!

YOU use it 'as Dad' and give your postal address for 'service of letters' from now on. As if it were his address.
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 17 September 2018 at 11:13PM
    Options
    fair enough , but dont dither on the fence for too long or lose sight of the fact that the clock is ticking whilst you are cramming

with respect to you and them , its one thing for others to say dont pay and ride it out, but they wont be the ones preparing a defence, the witness statement , the evidence bundle , or appearing in court if your father wants to put it to a judge

if your father wants to do that , no problem, front it out for up to 6 years, but its HIS decision, not yours , so I am taking into accound his age and what you said about his circumstances at home

I do not believe that you crusading for him is helping him , whereas my advice would be different if YOU had received the transferred ticket

and in the last 6 years I have seen dozens of similar threads, which is why myself and others realised what the sc@m was so quickly, especially on Napier issues , as we have had many similar cases over the years on here. you need to be very careful with NAPIER

the HAWORTH car park is notorious for this type of sc@m , and other sc@ms like ticketing anyone who goes off to get change etc

this is not a one off, hence why we identified the scenario for you

there is a deadline on the £50 offer, tempus fugit as they say

so as its his name on the paperwork, its his decision, not yours

it will be his name on any court claim in the future too (MCOL) , not yours

I understand your frustration and sense of a family member being sc@mmed, but I think it means you have the red mist and are going round in circles, driving us batty because we are having to repeat ourselves

ie:- you cannot see the wood for the trees

I want what is best for your dad, not you, which is why I say , tell him to pay £50 and put it behind him , its not worth it for an 83 year old to have worry until he is nearly 90

ps:- I told you all this in post #25 , and the previous posts identified the exact nature of this beast at a very early stage which allowed my summing up
  • Bond00
    Options
    Redx sorry l am sending you all batty!! lts a bit of a mind field and l think l have overdosed on reading threads. I appreciate totally what you are saying. Thanks
  • Bond00
    Options
    Coupon mad thanks l am much clearer on this now. I will update you on the car park development. Thanks for your help also.
  • Bond00
    Options
    KeithP very good suggestion thanks
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    lts a bit of a mind field
    minefield.

Please not 'mind field'...people do that too often here, it's not even a phrase.
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    just to show you ONE example of a previous case, read through this and you will see I gave you the same advice, except I have told you more about it

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5650798

this is not an isolated case , they have form for it and you can tell I understood back then too , hence why I replied a lot on this thread of yours

if I spent long enough on this I could find more examples , plus there are plenty of Napier threads where B W LEGAL Solicitors are chasing people up, especially recently

just be sure you understand the implications of not paying the money, and be prepared to put time and effort into deflecting Napier and B W LEGAL, plus the time and effort of a court case if Napier decide to make an example of this one by them pushing for a C.C.J.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    From the facts presented and in the absence of proof of there being a scam similar to Haworth, the OP would be best to tell his Dad to pay.

The "scam" issue can be investigated later. Even if the lady was well meaning, and even if the comments here are well meaning, the facts are the Dad didn't pay in a P&D site. Judges treat these cases more harshly than overstays as these car parks are usually very clearly signed.

If there has been a "scam" then if you present evidence to Napier, Napier will sort it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure