Divorce proceedings

Options

Comments

• trojan10_om
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    That would make sense, so let her buy you out. I don't see the issue. All you need to do is have somewhere safe and secure for you and your children.

She's not going to buy me out tomorrow. This negotiations/processes could go on well beyond 6 months. She's saying she's not willing to split the equity in half as her dad contributed more.

So in the meantime I don't know what to do. Surely its essential that between us we continue paying the mortgage that we have both committed to?
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    She's not going to buy me out tomorrow. This negotiations/processes could go on well beyond 6 months.

So in the meantime I don't know what to do. Surely its essential that between us we continue paying the mortgage that we have both committed to?

It could be worth asking if you can switch to interest-only while you sort things out.

You will need to rent somewhere that's suitable for the children to stay with you. You can't sofa surf for months because your wife has decided the marriage is over - the way the break-up happens has to be fair to both of you.

If her parents are wealthy and will be able to pay for legal advice, it would be worth going on the websites for separated fathers and getting advice about how to manage the split.

https://www.wikivorce.com/divorce/ is also useful.
  • trojan10_om
    Options
    I've done the 'entitled to calculations' to the best of my knowledge.

It looks like she could be entitled to the following per week:

£140 maternity pay
    £85 working tax credit (can she get that on maternity??)
    £117 Child tax credit
    £34.40 Child benefit

Would you expect that to be available to her instantly?

I'm thinking my contribution could be a percentage towards the mortgage (while I'm still 50% owner) and then 16% child maintenance from the remaining.

I will now read up on the other links provided for extra info.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    She's not going to buy me out tomorrow. This negotiations/processes could go on well beyond 6 months. She's saying she's not willing to split the equity in half as her dad contributed more.

You're married. What her dad put in was a gift, tough luck I suspect.

- You could always just move back in to prompt negotiations....

In the meantime, yes it's essential the mortgage is paid, but it's hardly your responsibility.
  • trojan10_om
    Options
    I've just this minute received an email from her saying she can definitely not receive any form of benefits until she goes back to work (other than the £140 maternity pay).

Is there any way I can verify this?
  • gonzo127
    gonzo127 Posts: 4,482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've done the 'entitled to calculations' to the best of my knowledge.

It looks like she could be entitled to the following per week:

£140 maternity pay
    £85 working tax credit (can she get that on maternity??)
    £117 Child tax credit
    £34.40 Child benefit

Would you expect that to be available to her instantly?

I'm thinking my contribution could be a percentage towards the mortgage (while I'm still 50% owner) and then 16% child maintenance from the remaining.

I will now read up on the other links provided for extra info.

yes she would be entitled to them straight away, well as soon as she has contacted he necessary people, i do not believe these are back dated any way so she needs to contact them asap

child maintenance is BEFORE everything except pension contributions!!! use the online calculator to work out how much you need to pay.

and you need to be clear that you can not and will not be able to pay all your wages into a joint pot for 6 months and sofa search for all that time.

if she wants you to contribute everything, you will HAVE to move back into the house.
    Drop a brand challenge
    on a £100 shop you might on average get 70 items save
    10p per product = £7 a week ~ £28 a month
    20p per product = £14 a week ~ £56 a month
    30p per product = £21 a week ~ £84 a month (or in other words one weeks shoping at the new price)
  • gonzo127
    gonzo127 Posts: 4,482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've just this minute received an email from her saying she can definitely not receive any form of benefits until she goes back to work (other than the £140 maternity pay).

https://www.gov.uk/tax-credits-if-you-have-baby
    Tax credits if you have a baby
    You can claim tax credits if you have a baby or get more money if you’re already getting tax credits - you must apply to see exactly what you can get.
    Tax credit Approximate amount
    Child Tax Credit Up to £3,325 per year
    Tax credits for childcare while you work Up to £122.50 a week (1 child)
    Up to £210 a week (2 or more children)

You won’t get 100% of your childcare costs
    Working Tax Credit Up to £1,960 per year
    Even though you’ve stopped work to have a baby you’re entitled to get Working Tax Credit for:

the first 39 weeks of maternity (or adoption) leave
    your period of ordinary paternity leave
    To qualify, you must have been working at least 16 or 30 hours a week before your leave. The actual number of hours depends on your circumstances.

Use the tax credit calculator to work out what you can get.
    How to claim
    You can:

apply for tax credits - if you’ve not applied for tax credits before
    update your claim - if you’ve already applied for Child or Working Tax Credit
    To update a claim, just contact the Tax Credit Office - you don’t need to fill out a claim form.

When to claim
    Tell the Tax Credit Office within 1 month of the birth so your claim can be backdated to the date of birth. If you don’t, your tax credits will only be backdated by 1 month from the date of your claim.

Example

Your baby is born 1 September.

You tell the Tax Credit Office on 1 January so your tax credits get backdated to 1 December.

If you’d told them by 1 October you’d be getting tax credits from 1 September.
    Drop a brand challenge
    on a £100 shop you might on average get 70 items save
    10p per product = £7 a week ~ £28 a month
    20p per product = £14 a week ~ £56 a month
    30p per product = £21 a week ~ £84 a month (or in other words one weeks shoping at the new price)
  • Comms69
    Options

Does it matter?!

She is entitled. She just wants both the benefits and YOUR MONEY.
  • trojan10_om
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Does it matter?!

She is entitled. She just wants both the benefits and YOUR MONEY.

I realise she is out for all she can get, but I wouldn't expect her to lie about benefit entitlement.
  • Comms69
    Options
    I realise she is out for all she can get, but I wouldn't expect her to lie about benefit entitlement.

Well she is, sorry pal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport