PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Selling house - no viewings

Options

Comments

• Margot123
    Margot123 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Options
    kinger101 wrote: »
    As you're in Yorkshire, the addition of a pigeon loft would add to the value.

Is that supposed to be funny? If you were referring to a different nationality, it could even be deemed racist.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    lets do the more like this test come up with 80k-110k 2bed+ 1/2m.

19 for sale and 18 SSTC so stuff is moving.

look at what people are viewing and making offers on.

80k 3bed semi
    83k 2bed semi
    95k 3bed semi

loads more to look at on that search some are more than yours as well.

lets try max 2bed £0-£150k 1/2 mile

13 for sale 9 SSTC

Of the 13 if you ignore new builds you are the most expensive 2 bed
    I see some of the 9 sold were for more than yours so people are paying that much for 2 beds but why are they viewing those and making offers but not yours?

eg this 106k 2bed semi

there are 15 3beds listed at upto £90k

this one just round the corner at 90-100 offers a lot more for the money
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sorry, OP but the crime stats look quite high from the police map, your house has only 2 bedrooms and a shared drive. It is price; it's always price. Wall-to-wall sport does not help, admittedly; imagine Wimbleedin' having to be delayed to fit 2 x football in.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,727 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Apart from the table and chairs in the middle of the living room (if there is no sensible space for them, take them out), I can not see any issues personally.

£92k seems like an absolute bargain. The house itself looks solid and nothing (cosmetic wise) needs doing - someone may choose to put their own stamp on it but that goes for any property.

The photos are not great, but they are not that bad. If I was looking for a home, those photos are fine. You either have an interest and make a viewing or you dont.

Is there anything outside of your home which could be a problem? I remember going to view a house once and on the street there were about 10 kids/adults sat on the pavement drinking stella (including the kids!). Is there an offy where the kids congregate at night maybe or a neighbour with 15 dogs barking non stop? I realise those are things you can not control, but honestly, I can not see any problems with your home which makes me think it could be something else.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • quantumlobster
    Options
    Margot123 wrote: »
    Is that supposed to be funny? If you were referring to a different nationality, it could even be deemed racist.
    Hardly. It's a mildly amusing regional stereotype. It's about as offensive as bread.

And I say that as a resident of Yorkshire.

And I have a whippet (well, a lurcher). No clogs here, though.
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hardly. It's a mildly amusing regional stereotype. It's about as offensive as bread.

And I say that as a resident of Yorkshire.

And I have a whippet (well, a lurcher). No clogs here, though.

A number of my Yorkshire relatives kept racing pigeons when I was young. The comment made me laugh anyway. :)
  • antwilson
    antwilson Posts: 138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    lets do the more like this test come up with 80k-110k 2bed+ 1/2m.

19 for sale and 18 SSTC so stuff is moving.

look at what people are viewing and making offers on.

80k 3bed semi
    83k 2bed semi
    95k 3bed semi

loads more to look at on that search some are more than yours as well.

lets try max 2bed £0-£150k 1/2 mile

13 for sale 9 SSTC

Of the 13 if you ignore new builds you are the most expensive 2 bed
    I see some of the 9 sold were for more than yours so people are paying that much for 2 beds but why are they viewing those and making offers but not yours?

eg this 106k 2bed semi

there are 15 3beds listed at upto £90k

this one just round the corner at 90-100 offers a lot more for the money

Thanks quite helpful - the 2 bed semi @ 83k https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-54454149.html was/is our closest competition, and was/is priced for modernisation/quick sale as its an empty property.

the 3 bed semi @ 90k is on a busy road/bus route and doesn't have any off street parking, plus backs onto a football field which would put me off so potentially other buyers as well.
  • antwilson
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »
    Sorry, OP but the crime stats look quite high from the police map, your house has only 2 bedrooms and a shared drive. It is price; it's always price. Wall-to-wall sport does not help, admittedly; imagine Wimbleedin' having to be delayed to fit 2 x football in.

Crime stats around here are probably all similar - haven't looked to be honest!

2 bedrooms is probably one of our biggest issues. Drive isn't shared though - doesn't have a physical boundary but it is our drive.

Wondering whether re-taking the photo with my car on the drive would potentially make this look better? Reading all the selling guides always advises not parking on the drive so we made sure we didnt.
  • antwilson
    Options
    ACG wrote: »
    Apart from the table and chairs in the middle of the living room (if there is no sensible space for them, take them out), I can not see any issues personally.

£92k seems like an absolute bargain. The house itself looks solid and nothing (cosmetic wise) needs doing - someone may choose to put their own stamp on it but that goes for any property.

The photos are not great, but they are not that bad. If I was looking for a home, those photos are fine. You either have an interest and make a viewing or you dont.

Is there anything outside of your home which could be a problem? I remember going to view a house once and on the street there were about 10 kids/adults sat on the pavement drinking stella (including the kids!). Is there an offy where the kids congregate at night maybe or a neighbour with 15 dogs barking non stop? I realise those are things you can not control, but honestly, I can not see any problems with your home which makes me think it could be something else.

Nothing I can think of, or at least nothing that would put us off. Its a mix of council/private houses but not a bad street. No shops close enough to cause any issues (all a good 5+ minute walk away so close enough to reach). Football field over the road which doesn't cause any problems.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I think your house looks generally well presented. If you can get some external photos taken on a sunny day I'd replace the ones you have - the lighting and the fact that there are no flowers or anything visible makes it look as though they were taken back in the spring, my initial impression looking at the listing was that it must have been on the market for a while as it looks wintery!

I'd take down the trampoline for the photos and viewings, too, so the garden looks bigger.

Lights on in the house makes it look as if the rooms are dark and you need lights on in the day. Much better to have them without, and use flash if you have to.

The photos are not great - the pone of the bathroom in particualr makes it look very tired and oldfashioned -0 could you clean the grouting and maybe get a picture from an angle that doesn't focus on the pipes behind the sink?

It might be worth taking a 2nd photo from the front showing the car - looking at the photo it looks as if the drive isn't wide enough for a car, or that between you and the neighbour there is only space for one vehicle. Experiment - maybe taking a photo from further back or a different angle would show the space without you needing to actually sit a car on it?

However, these are fairly minor points so if you aren't getting any interest at all it is more likely to be price, or a general slow-down, or both.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure