Do you need TV included in your bundle if only using Freeview

Options
Hallo

I am sure this is a very clueless question, so please no trolling, but I genuinely don't know the answer as I've never owned a TV.

I can see on this site a tool for finding the cheapest unbundled broadband, but do you need to add in TV if you are only going to use Freeview?

Also, as I don't yet have a TV could I sign up for just wifi for phone and then add in TV if/when I ever get one?

Best wishes and thanks for the advice.

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,750 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Nope. Paid for TV is for the extras.
    You just need an aerial or satellite dish for the free channels.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    No you don't. Freeview is free. You just need a tv that has freeview which all modern ones do (some still have freesat which you need a dish for) and an aerial

Signing up to TV is signing up for Virgin TV or Sky TV etc.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Freeview you just buy a TV with Freeview in, connect the aerial up, scan for channels and there it is. No further action required, watch Judge Judy all day to your heart's content. Its the default way to watch TV these days so it is free save for the hardware.

The packaged TV is the likes of Sky, Virgin and to a lesser extent BT, TalkTalk and NowTV. If you have no interest in these, just don't buy them.
  • pocketstrings
    Options
    Thanks to all of you, this is great news!

So, just to double-check, I would sign up for wifi for my phone and laptop and then if I get a TV I just get one with Freeview (I don't watch much TV), get an aerial etc and nothing needs to change with my internet account?
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options

So, just to double-check, I would sign up for wifi for my phone and laptop and then if I get a TV I just get one with Freeview (I don't watch much TV), get an aerial etc and nothing needs to change with my internet account?

That's correct
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

You don't sign up for WiFi, you sign up for broadband. WiFi is accessed via the router.

You are aware that you'll need a TV license to watch any live channels?
  • pocketstrings
    Options
    Yes, thanks. I rarely watch TV so I was thinking I'd see how I do without and if I find I want to watch it, either on a laptop or on a TV I'll of course get a license.
  • mobileron
    mobileron Posts: 1,218 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    U could also buy a firestick and get even more legal channels.
    Plus all the catchups etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport