parcel force clearance fee

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Wow the knowledge is strong with this one.

Coming along with some basic description of. Importing process proves nothing. Since I am not importing anything, it doesn't apply to me.

People should look up the definitions of things first before posting.

The importer is the addressee if they have purchased it. If not then it is the purchaser, I. E. The person who requested the goods to be imported or caused them to be imported. I. E. Not me. I did not cause these goods to come into the country erego I am not the importer. Its basic English language.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,306 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    In basic English you are not the person responsible for this stuff being imported - but from HMRC's point of view you are the easiest person now to bill for the tax that they require as it comes into this country. Words in law aren't always used the same way as words in general speech or common sense.

And you are quite right you could meanly mess with someone by putting a falsely high value on a parcel coming into this country - they would then be offered the option to pay or not receive it. If they pay and then discover worthless tat it is a bureaucratic nightmare to reclaim tax.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • System
    Options
    Shaun from Africa, if you want to attack me again you better come up with something that actually has some substance.

The importer is whoever the agent is acting in behalf of, either the consignee or the buyer, as named in the shipping label. My friend is the buyer and so he is the importer. Legally. This is the legal definition of importer. Don't come in here telling me I'm the importer when I've gone through such emotional difficulty over this. Its not big and it's not clever. I'm only ever going to take that as an attack. If you had some legal knowledge then you would have written that down instead of directly challenging what I wrote, but you didn't which proves you know nothing. Stop posting in here you are only going to cause a problem.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    tremault wrote: »

Coming along with some basic description of. Importing process proves nothing. Since I am not importing anything, it doesn't apply to me.

The importer is the addressee if they have purchased it. If not then it is the purchaser, I. E. The person who requested the goods to be imported or caused them to be imported. I. E. Not me. I did not cause these goods to come into the country erego I am not the importer. Its basic English language.

From your previous posts I believe you have decided to refuse the goods and hope they get returned to your friend. In that case the fact that you disagree with everyone about your liability is immaterial. You have chosen not to pay, so that's the end of it, you do not have to believe what is patiently being explained to you and I would go as far as to say it might be best for you to stand back now and just let it be.

This is a discussion board, advice and opinions have been exchanged. You can pay or not pay, that is entirely your decision and no one here can decide for you.

I do think having a word with your friend to perhaps prevent him sending you things in the future might be a good idea. They will not then have to waste their money and you won't end up in such a stressful situation again.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • System
    Options
    theoretica wrote: »
    In basic English you are not the person responsible for this stuff being imported - but from HMRC's point of view you are the easiest person now to bill for the tax that they require as it comes into this country. Words in law aren't always used the same way as words in general speech or common sense.

Thank you, this is precisely my point. They send the bill to me because its easier. The phrasing of the letter from parcel force was actually as such. They say vat is payable on the items, but they do not specify who is legally responsible for it, only that payment is due.
  • System
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    . You have chosen not to pay, so that's the end of it, you do not have to believe what is patiently being explained to you and I would go as far as to say it might be best for you to stand back now and just let it be.
    Actually, my friend paid it. He asked me for the details out of the blue and he paid it.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,306 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Actually, my friend paid it. He asked me for the details out of the blue and he paid it.

A good friend indeed - I am glad it has ended well.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options

The importer is the addressee if they have purchased it. If not then it is the purchaser,
    Shaun from Africa, if you want to attack me again you better come up with something that actually has some substance.

The importer is whoever the agent is acting in behalf of, either the consignee or the buyer, as named in the shipping label. My friend is the buyer and so he is the importer.

"something of substance"?
    How about the UK government.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/notice-143-a-guide-for-international-post-users/notice-143-a-guide-for-international-post-users
    2.1 Does the sender have to declare the goods?

Yes. Under international postal agreements the sender must complete a customs declaration (form CN22 or CN23) which in most cases should be fixed to the package. The declaration includes a description of the goods, the value and whether they are gifts or commercial items. Any Post Office abroad should be able to give advice to the sender.

Under customs law, you as the importer are legally responsible for the information on the declaration, therefore it’s in your own interest to ensure, wherever possible, that the sender abroad completes the declaration accurately and in full.

And no, I am not attacking you. I have not made any personal comments or any insults. All I have done is to post factually correct information.
    If you don't want to believe that information then that's your choice to make.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

I commend you to take your own advice....
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Gosh what a happy coincidence - and done very quickly too :T
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback