Cars on motability scheme are now limited up to AP £2000

Options

Comments

• eeeeeee
    eeeeeee Posts: 459 Forumite
    Options
    i quite agree with the above post and feel awful about the people who really genuinely need this too allowance too give them mobility ; life isnt easy at the best of times let alone with a mobility problem ; unfortunately there is too many taking the absoloute wee out of this ; i personally know of 3 all local too me who scam this in various ways .. they have no shame in their actions they openly boast outside the school gates too other parents ... thats how i know!
    NSD = 3/31 spent = £97.88/31 groceries = £26/31 fuel =2/31
    various debts = /£14366.89:eek:secured loan = /£13887.21 full settlement figuremortgage = /£64,342.45
    ime not debt free ,but ime trying JANUARY BIG FINANCIAL FREEZE (JBFF)no35
    proud owner of a british bullog puppies due end of jan2013
  • akabee
    akabee Posts: 972 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    forgotmyname & eeeeeee
    Misuse of the Car Scheme
    Misuse of the Motability Scheme is something we take very seriously. We rely on the general public, customers, police, Department for Work and Pensions, and others to help us put a stop to it. Every report of misuse we receive is carefully assessed and, if proven, acted upon. Typical examples of misuse include:
    • Using the car for crime
    • Denying its use to the disabled person
    • Using the car as a taxi or delivery vehicle
    • Driving uninsured or whilst banned
    • Sub-leasing or selling the car
    • Allowing the car to become unroadworthy.
    You can report misuse to us either anonymously or, preferably, by giving your name in complete confidence so we can discuss it with you further if necessary. If you want to report something, please use the Reporting misuse form, call us on 0845 456 4566 or email [EMAIL="spu@motability.co.uk"]spu@motability.co.uk[/EMAIL] If you represent the police, a local authority or other body concerned with combating fraud, please call 01279 632233 for a guidance booklet.
    http://www.motabilitycarscheme.co.uk/main.cfm?type=CCSC
  • Alan_M_2
    Alan_M_2 Posts: 2,752 Forumite
    Options
    sharjay99 wrote: »
    My neighbour just got his new mobility car... a mercedes c class. I wouldnt neccessarily care about that in itself as he is fully allowed to drive what he wants however my dad and brother work at ford and told me he has a whole page of extras... AMG sports package, AMG styling kit bla bla bla

Why dont Motability question the need for these extras? Im sorry but it should just be a basic car to transport a disabled person from A to B, my car was motability in 2006, I had a standard focus to transport my son in which I have since bought from them. The system is an absolute godsend but theres no need to abuse it, I know some people who work every hour god gives and couldnt even afford the car my son has and resent me for that which I can appreciate, but theres even less people in the world who could afford a brand new merc with every luxury as extra

We have a 2011 Mercedes C220cdi Sport Auto Estate on the motability scheme. The advance payment was £6,800, which I paid in full from my own savings.

This car costs motability no more than a Ford Focus, or Fiesta, or Vauxhall or any other vechicle as I paid for all excess costs in full in advance.

My wife has Multiple Sclerosis which has progreesed to such a degree that she can now just about get to the car from our front door (3 meters) with a lot of help. She can not drive - I drive her everywhere.

I now work from home so I can care for my wife, I downsized my business to do so.

She has very little in life to look forward to, this car was one of the things she wanted, I was prepared to pay for it to give her something in life that she actually looked forward to.

This car costs £51.40 per week in lease costs, pretty much the same as every other car listed on the motability scheme. That is the higher rate mobility component of DLA. By chosing to take a car, my wife signs over the £51.40 to motability. So motability don't even pay this cost. They are a non profit making charitable organisation, administrators if you will.

The reason we get a Mercedes for £51.40 per week is I chose to pay £6,800 out of my own money to cover the excess costs.

Is this starting to sink in now?

I could, in theory (well up until the end of this year) arrange to have an Aston Martin through Motability, the advanced payment would likely be £100,000 or so - but it would cost motability nothing, the same as a Fiesta.

Whoever came up with this Advanced payment cap idea needs their intelligence testing, the problem is giving people the benefit to start with, not what they do with it once it's been awarded.
  • happy_lass
    Options
    c_smith wrote: »
    I wish I could run a brand new Vauxhall Zafira for a £99 down payment and thereafter free for 3 years inclusive of tax, insurance and servicing.

The fact that you can says all there is to say really about the over generous motability scheme. While I pay thousands every year to keep my modest second hand car on the road, I am also having to subsidise others to drive around in brand new cars for free.

The welfare state has created generations of people who think the world owes them a living and it's their God given right to get everything for nothing. And anyone who DARES to question the fairness of it all gets criticized for their trouble.
    My daughter is the 'welfare state generation' through no fault of her own. She is 20 and like a big baby. She will never work, never get married, never have children of her own and will be entirely dependant on the state for the rest of her life. Its not something that i wished for her and its not something that i would wish on anyone. Yes i agree with you when you say that there are people who think it is their god given right to claim benefits, but please dont think that everyone is the same. The ones who take the p iss out of the system also drag the genuinely disabled people down with them and it's not fair. It makes me so sad that she will have to be dependant on the state when i am no longer around to look after her. i save the government millions by not putting her in residential care where i cannot be certain that she is not being looked after properly. Yes, we have a motobility car and we are very grateful because without that i wouldnt be able to take her to her day centre. She would also suffer because she enjoys going there. To add insult to injury, social services have just took all respite off me aswell. So i suppose i am saving the government money there because i now have no respite care and i dont get a break apart from when she is in the day centre.
    The genuinely disabled seem to get tarred with the same brush as people who scam the system.
    life is what you make it, make it fun !
  • skipsmum
    skipsmum Posts: 707 Forumite
    Options
    The other problem on motability is there are too many families who get a car for their disabled son/daughter and then use that car for there work or don't use that car for their son or daughter at all say to swimming lessons after school clubs etc etc.

Would be interested in hearing other people opinions.

DS is 11 and has CP and a degenerative neurone disease. We are looking at upsizing our privately bought car for a motability sedona or sharan or similar as his new wheelchair will be too big for our boot.

I take DS to school, swimming, physio, social things in the car. I also go food shopping, coffee morning etc in the same car. I cannot afford to run two cars and don't have time to go home and swop cars anyway. Maybe I should leave the car outside his school and walk home?

I don't think some of the people who have commented have thought this through - there is no one-size-fits-all for disabled people. If we lease a motability car we pay for it ourselves out of DSs DLA. Yes, his DLA is a government benefit paid for by the tax payer (including us) but it is one he is legally entitled to within our system because he has disabilites.

And by the way, I would rather have healthy kids and no need for a car. Life is difficult enough for us without the constant blue badge bashers who always add on "but of course we don't mean poor you".
    With Sparkles! :happylove And Shiny Things!
  • davsidipp
    davsidipp Posts: 11,514 Forumite
    Options
    as for those that know their neighbours buisness do you really know or just think you know those that post about people they know driving vehicles that are not theirs get me do you really have the time to watch people or dig out their buisness my god jealousy is a terrible thing and some posters show it in their post at the end of the day my husband would rather be in good health than be ill and certainly would do away with a vehicle if he could walk normal so those green eyed people should think before they judge.
    Before you point fingers,make sure your hands are clean !;)
  • tatonette
    Options
    Alan_M wrote: »

Whoever came up with this Advanced payment cap idea needs their intelligence testing, the problem is giving people the benefit to start with, not what they do with it once it's been awarded.

It was simply a decision based entirely on politics.

As you say, if you have the money and enjoy driving a quality car, then no one should stop you just as long as it is your money that you are using, and it is not costing the government anymore than for a bog standard Ford Ka.

It was a political hot potato with Cameron & Co being accused of allowing benefit scroungers to ride around in £60,000 cars.

Same old, same old, 'I work and I can't afford one so why the **** should next door have a top of the range Merc where no one works and they live on welfare'

Sad little people, they just don't understand the scheme.

I have just got my new Motability car, an Insignia SRI. Given the choice I wanted an X1 BMW, have the money to put down as an advance payment, but missed out because of the stupid £2000 limit.

So went for the opposite and put a couple of hundred down only. Not my choice of car so why would I pay Vauxhall anymore for something that would be my 50th choice of vehicle!

If an Aston DB9 was available, that would be my next car, no matter what the upfront payment was. Let Motability take the hit with depreciation in the first 3 years and buy it from them at the end of the lease - generally for about 45% of the cost when new.

But it will never happen. Just couldn't see the government taking the flak if I turned up for a DWP medical assessment in it, proudly displaying my Blue Badge!!!! LOL
  • akabee
    akabee Posts: 972 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    tatonette wrote: »
    It was simply a decision based entirely on politics.

As you say, if you have the money and enjoy driving a quality car, then no one should stop you just as long as it is your money that you are using, and it is not costing the government anymore than for a bog standard Ford Ka.

It was a political hot potato with Cameron & Co being accused of allowing benefit scroungers to ride around in £60,000 cars.

Same old, same old, 'I work and I can't afford one so why the **** should next door have a top of the range Merc where no one works and they live on welfare'

Sad little people, they just don't understand the scheme.

I have just got my new Motability car, an Insignia SRI. Given the choice I wanted an X1 BMW, have the money to put down as an advance payment, but missed out because of the stupid £2000 limit.

So went for the opposite and put a couple of hundred down only. Not my choice of car so why would I pay Vauxhall anymore for something that would be my 50th choice of vehicle!

If an Aston DB9 was available, that would be my next car, no matter what the upfront payment was. Let Motability take the hit with depreciation in the first 3 years and buy it from them at the end of the lease - generally for about 45% of the cost when new.

But it will never happen. Just couldn't see the government taking the flak if I turned up for a DWP medical assessment in it, proudly displaying my Blue Badge!!!! LOL
    You (aka Loopy_Lynn) get accused of being a troll on the Discussion Time forum so now your back on here. New name same old ****, the other half of your act should be here to thank you soon.
    ab.da54 wrote: »
    Back on topic though, maybe it's me, but I feel that tatonette and Loopy_Lynn are one and the same, with an agenda to cause strife on this particular board.
    tatonette wrote: »
    I'm leaving this thread, there are too many wierdos on it!!
  • tatonette
    Options
    akabee wrote: »
    You (aka Loopy_Lynn) get accused of being a troll on the Discussion Time forum so now your back on here. New name same old ****, the other half of your act should be here to thank you soon.

Who or what is aka Loopy_Lynn???

If anyone has gone loopy it is you!!

You must be male and we know where they keep their brains!
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    Alan_M wrote: »
    We have a 2011 Mercedes C220cdi Sport Auto Estate on the motability scheme. The advance payment was £6,800, which I paid in full from my own savings.

This car costs motability no more than a Ford Focus, or Fiesta, or Vauxhall or any other vehicle as I paid for all excess costs in full in advance.

My wife has Multiple Sclerosis which has progreesed to such a degree that she can now just about get to the car from our front door (3 meters) with a lot of help. She can not drive - I drive her everywhere.

I now work from home so I can care for my wife, I downsized my business to do so.

She has very little in life to look forward to, this car was one of the things she wanted, I was prepared to pay for it to give her something in life that she actually looked forward to.

This car costs £51.40 per week in lease costs, pretty much the same as every other car listed on the motability scheme. That is the higher rate mobility component of DLA. By chosing to take a car, my wife signs over the £51.40 to motability. So motability don't even pay this cost. They are a non profit making charitable organisation, administrators if you will.

The reason we get a Mercedes for £51.40 per week is I chose to pay £6,800 out of my own money to cover the excess costs.

Is this starting to sink in now?

I could, in theory (well up until the end of this year) arrange to have an Aston Martin through Motability, the advanced payment would likely be £100,000 or so - but it would cost motability nothing, the same as a Fiesta.

7 people clicking your thanks button, it will come as no surprise to the group that I disagree with your [STRIKE]mis[/STRIKE]use of the Motabilty scheme to display your avarice. Many people in this group have bought cars via the scheme at £35k or so because they wanted a Chrysler Voyager / Panavan / etc for the automatic side or rear wheelchair loading / ramp / winch / facilities they offer for the disabled user.

Your reason, and there are others in the group that have the same motivation, was simply because you could have a big flash [ based not on need but greed ] MOTA for half the price of a cheapo 1300cc Clio, piggy-backing on the Motabilty for the Disabled Scheme. What has happened to both the Motability and Blue Badge Scheme with the red tops, politicians and chav's was precisely because of the behaviour with 'feebies' by people like yourself. The real issue is .. .. not the wants but the needs, regardless of what's said in #114 you can not buy a new C220cdi Sport Auto Estate for £6.8k.

You chose it for 3 reasons :

- you could
    - it was virtually a freebie
    - and you / and / or your wife desired one

And as a result of this behaviour over recent years by recipients of 'easy-meat' HRDLA we have the great clunking fists of :

- red tops
    - chav's
    - political classes
    - ATOS
    - WCA
    - PIP
    - ect, landing blows from all directions on the disabled

I said it years ago in this group, and I'll do it now, the disabled should put their own house in order or the people will turn against you and facilitate the politicians who, in turn, will seize the moment and reduce you back to a plastic pig, the disabled work and pay tax .. .. remember that fact.

I have no doubt than your good lady's wheelchair will fit easily into the rear of your C220cdi, but you could fit eight wheelchairs in a Multipla, and the Christmas shopping and still see through the rear window.

""Whoever came up with this Advanced payment cap idea needs their intelligence testing, the problem is giving people the benefit to start with, not what they do with it once it's been awarded"" .. .. but it is what they do with it once it's been awarded you don't have to agree with it, you clearly don't like it, but what you [ and others ] do with it was / is seen, quite properly as nothing to do with - 'additional mobility needs' - that was what the original award was made for - additional mobility needs!
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure