Flight Delay Compensation, Lufthansa Only

Options

Comments

• Tesshan
    Tesshan Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 15 November 2018 at 11:22AM
    Options
    Question about the extraordinary circumstances: 2 weeks ago I was supposed to fly from Dublin to Seoul via Frankfurt. The flight to Frankfurt was delayed by 2 hours and then cancelled because the toilets on the plane were all blocked (apparently they tried to fix it for 2 hours before giving up). We never even got on the plane and after the long wait at the gate the captain appeared and told us that the plane could not fly like this and the flight was cancelled (because of this we missed our connecting flight to Seoul). We later found out that the plane flew to Frankfurt empty to be fixed there and that it landed around 5 h later than the scheduled arrival time. It took us 2 additional hours to get the luggage back and LH rebooked our tickets to fly out the following day and offered us a hotel for the night.
    Does the toilet issue count as an extraordinary circumstance? I filed a compensation claim with LH but still have to hear from them. If they offer compensation will it be only for the first leg of the trip or the whole trip?
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 15 November 2018 at 12:28PM
    Options
    No, the toilet issue is definitely not an EC. Its a load of crap if they tell you it is ;)
    If you booked a single through ticket with LH from Dublin to Seoul, via Frankfurt, then the compensation is for the whole trip. ie €600 per person.
    Also its not a case of LH "offering" you compensation. You are almost certainly due it by law and regulation EC261/2004.
    If you get no repsonse by the end of the month then contact them again giving 14 days notice for payment.

Most airlines will string you along in the hope you go away. Perseverance is the key.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Tesshan
    Options
    Thank you for the reply! I will not let it go for sure. I missed a whole day of my trip because of the delay. I was just wondering if they might list this as a security issue. Fingers crossed it will all work out in a speedy fashion.
  • JPears
    Options
    A malfunctioning toilet is a technical issue, nothing to do with security.

• Tesshan
    Options
    Lufthansa came back to me and said that they declined the full compensation request and that they will cover only the first leg of the trip. 250 Euro per person and not more.
    My ticket was covering the whole trip (one booking made on the Lufthansa website) but the lady said that the request was denied. She said that she had resubmitted it already twice with the same outcome.
    What do you think? Anything else I can do in this case?
  • JPears
    Options
    They are wrong.
    This matter was resolved by the Gahan V Emirates case earlier this year. The case clearly established that it is the final destination that counts for compensation.
    Contact them again quoting the case. Also give them 14 days to pay up. Mark your message as an NBA/LBA then start reading up on small claims procedure.

• Tesshan
    Options
    JPears wrote: »
    They are wrong.
    This matter was resolved by the Gahan V Emirates case earlier this year. The case clearly established that it is the final destination that counts for compensation.
    Contact them again quoting the case. Also give them 14 days to pay up. Mark your message as an NBA/LBA then start reading up on small claims procedure.

Thank you for the update!
    Will do. Will report back when I have news.
  • Tesshan
    Options
    New update: I sent my reply quoting the court case you mentioned and now I found a voicemail from Lufthansa (was in a meeting and could not take the call) and the agent said that I will get full compensation based on final destination.
    Will wait until I see the money appear in my account. Thank you for the help @JPears!
  • JPears
    Options
    Fantastic news.
    Yet another example of an airline trying to lie to a passenger in a pathetic attempt to avoiding paying out what they are legally obliged to.
    Can I suggest a letter of complaint to CAA about the airlines behaviour?

• Tesshan
    Options
    JPears wrote: »
    Fantastic news.
    Yet another example of an airline trying to lie to a passenger in a pathetic attempt to avoiding paying out what they are legally obliged to.
    Can I suggest a letter of complaint to CAA about the airlines behaviour?

It might be a good idea but I only have this one voicemail and no written statements from Lufthansa as proof as they always called me instead of replying to my emails.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure