Microfilters are Important for a Great Broadband Connection

Options

Comments

• joe134
    joe134 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    Options
    HI All,

If any TalkTalk Customers are experiencing issues with connection we can investigate this on the TalkTalk Members Forum. We can also arrange replacement filters as part of diagnostic testing should this be necessary.

Regards

Mark
    TalkTalk Online Community Executive.
    Hi,Been AOL customer for 6 years now;;with BT line, and AOL supplying me with BB IPstream+ phone calls;;;Just yesterday resigned for another 18 months, (hope I don,t regret it ) but transferring my BT line to TT so I am getting everything on TT,s LLu from my exchange;;;
    I,ve been having slow speed issues for ages, hence the LLu change,(up to 24 meg);;;
    Now, I notice that , Wireless my speed drops dramatically, and is all over the place;;0.5>4.5 and no 2 speeds the same;;;;
    Just today, I decided to use ethernet only, until my new router comes;;
    BUT, my PC is in the Lounge,and master socket,s in the kitchen, No phone sockets in the lounge as I use a quad dect phone plugged into Master socket, using 1 filter;;
    Temporarily ;I have had to, run 2 extension phone cables, plugged together as 1, from Master socket > Filter > router, then short ethernet to pc;;
    It,s ok giving 4+megs regular, which is excellent from wireless;
    If new router doesn,t solve the wireless issues regarding speed, would I be better off taking the phone cable extension cables away, replace it with 15 metre adsl rj11>rj11 and putting the filter at the Master socket???
    Also, at the master socket I have a three way phone splitter;
    1>dect phones
    2>spare emergency ordinary phone, in case dect fails;;
    3>PC>cable 15 metre>filter>router>to pc via ethernet cable;
    Instead of 3 filters, would 1 be better at Master socket>3 way splitter>PC/dect/emergency phone;;????? Illiminating 2 filters;
    Sorry if this is long winded and confusing;;;but hopng new router means I can just go wireless again with good stable signal;;;Though somehow I doubt it::::Sceptic by nature;;;:(:(:(
    Appreciate any advice please;
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 3 December 2011 at 4:51PM
    Options
    Don't why you have multiple threads about your ongoing problems, however did no-one tell you that DECT base stations are a common cause of wireless interference, routers should not be located near them.
    It would also be easier to run a couple of homeplugs rather than a long ethernet cable, and of course routers should never be used with extension cables, unless pin 3 has been removed.

I use an ADSL Nation replacement faceplate which simplifies my wiring, others are available though.

http://www.adslnation.com/products/xte2005.php
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • joe134
    edited 3 December 2011 at 5:18PM
    Options
    penrhyn wrote: »
    Don't why you have multiple threads about your ongoing problems, however did no-one tell you that DECT base stations are a common cause of wireless interference, routers should not be located near them.
    It would also be easier to run a couple of homeplugs rather than a long ethernet cable, and of course routers should never be used with extension cables, unless pin 3 has been removed.

I use an ADSL Nation replacement faceplate which simplifies my wiring, others are available though.

http://www.adslnation.com/products/xte2005.php
    Hi penrhyn;;;The reason I didn,t post it on my other thread was because I,ve just come across this one, and after reading it, thought, as it,s filter related, it,s better on here;;;Thought I,d probably used up enough of your time on other thread;
    NO, I didnt know dect phones interfered with wireless routers, but guessed they could, ; As my router/dect base were next to each other.I moved router to lounge, hence cable run;;I use different rooms with laptop, so wire less is preferable, but speed loss is dramatic;;I posted this on other thread??Hoping new router gives me enough speed to not use any cable, other than to router;
    What,s difference between homeplugs in each room to extension to each room?? Sometimes we have to adapt to what weve got; Getting same speed with 15 metre cable>router.pc;as pc.>.router>master 3feet max
  • Myser
    Myser Posts: 1,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 3 December 2011 at 5:43PM
    Options
    Newer ADSL2/2+ based services train to the highest stable connection speed. This can take up to 10 days. Most LLU based services are ADSL 2/2+. If within the 10 days, disconnection or high attenuation (caused by long extensions or poor line quality) is detected on your line, your line speed will be lower.

Hence, it is better to connect your router as close to the main BT socket as possible without telephone line (RJ-11) extension leads. Leave it there switched on continuously for 10 days and then check your speed.

To connect other computers without wireless, either run an RJ-45 (Ethernet) NOT RJ-11 or use HomePlugs as penrhyn mentioned, to the other computer.
    If my post hasn't helped you, then don't click the 'Thanks' button! ;)
  • joe134
    edited 3 December 2011 at 8:32PM
    Options
    Myser wrote: »
    Newer ADSL2/2+ based services train to the highest stable connection speed. This can take up to 10 days. Most LLU based services are ADSL 2/2+. If within the 10 days, disconnection or high attenuation (caused by long extensions or poor line quality) is detected on your line, your line speed will be lower.

Hence, it is better to connect your router as close to the main BT socket as possible without telephone line (RJ-11) extension leads. Leave it there switched on continuously for 10 days and then check your speed.

To connect other computers without wireless, either run an RJ-45 (Ethernet) NOT RJ-11 or use HomePlugs as penrhyn mentioned, to the other computer.
    Hi , Thanks. I only have one pc.Laptop.use it different rooms at different times;;What I,ve done now with temporary only phone lines is only because it is giving me a constant 4+mbps, instead of yoyoing between 0.5>4 mbps wireless;;;. Even now, it,s just dropped, giving error 3000 code from aol, with ethernet @ 4.5mbps; This has been long-going, hence penrhyn,s comment on my other thread, regarding it;It,s very long, and they have been great;
    I don,t want ANY more phone points if possible, but if nescessary, wanted to know best way + filters;;to do it?
    Leaving it on constantly now only results in it either logging itself off;;;sometimes with or without the error code?
    Hopefully, llu+ new router will remedy this+give a better speed from exchange to router;;
    When llu is enabled, I shall put it router back to Master box and wireless for the 10 days dlm, and leave on 24/7, but if this persistant logging off persists during night, then ain,t much I can do;;;No idea why it does it, and I hope it,s router;;;There are rooms I use it where it,s not possible to put new sockets;;IE;Conservatory, which , in summer is where it,s normally based;lounge in winter;;;now;;What should be done, and what can be done, are not always possible, have to adapt;;;As I am using router with extension telephone cable;;;;;What is PIN3 that penrhyn mentioned be removed????:beer:
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The dark secrets about pin three are revealed in the following link........

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • Myser
    Options
    joe134 - From your last post there are a number of things that could be causing your slow speeds:

You still haven't mentioned the make and model of your router/MODEM?

How are measuring your speed?

If you look at the link/ADSL/i-light on your router/MODEM, is it steady (green) or flashing when you can't access the Internet?

If you have a router, login and look at the stats. It should indicate the number of disconnections and/or errors. The errors indicate data packets being dropped and can give you a clue if there are intermittent problems with your line. The number of disconnections is also a good indication of line or hardware problems.

It seems that Error 3000 is a software error and could be a number of things - where are you seeing this error?
  • joe134
    edited 3 December 2011 at 9:53PM
    Options
    joe134 - From your last post there are a number of things that could be causing your slow speeds:

You still haven't mentioned the make and model of your router/MODEM?

How are measuring your speed?

If you look at the link/ADSL/i-light on your router/MODEM, is it steady (green) or flashing when you can't access the Internet?

If you have a router, login and look at the stats. It should indicate the number of disconnections and/or errors. The errors indicate data packets being dropped and can give you a clue if there are intermittent problems with your line. The number of disconnections is also a good indication of line or hardware problems.

It seems that Error 3000 is a software error and could be a number of things - where are you seeing this error?
    Hi Myser, thanks for reply, don,t want to get too involed because as penrhyn stated, already got a long thread of all the problems on the Techie site, under signal strength;;;Originally my post was about my wireless signal in the notifiation tray;;;this then went to attenuation in my speedtouch 576v6
    router;;the logging off, as now, only occurs when pc,s been idle for a while, BUT, it could be 15 minutes, or 2 hours, no consistency;;;
    no where in router to alter, always on as default.;
    Does it wireless or ethernet, as now;;;have to log back on with my aol password;;The log is endless off errors, loss of signal, etc;;
    That,s why the techies think it,s router related;;?
    But ,AOL are not the best at consistancy, wonder why I,m renewing again :( must be mad:rotfl: ERROR dialogue box when I turn pc on again. I have to press on/off button first, flashes orange.then blue;;ACER aspire 5920 2.5 years old;;that,s why I,ve gone LLU not IPstream as I am now, penryhn stated this was my problem, BT strangling me;;
    THe green ethernet and wlan lights are constantly flashing together and internet also flashes often with ethernet, No regular pattern;;;
    It,s enough to drive you round the bend, thats why the guys on the Techie site have been marvelous and very patient;they are flashing like billyo now;;;I can enter the net, it just disconnects when idle????
    Checking speedtests with thinkbroadband for years now;
    The wireless signal on tray goes up and down 24>36>48>54Mbps
    poor/fair/good/excellent, changes every time I hover over it;;;;
    THAT was my very first OP on techie site about my problems;;;I THINK??:embarasseThat long ago;;;Open to any suggestions which may help;;:beer:But as penryhn said, don,t want too many threads going, on loads now, just that, I read this thread and decided to put new filters in and extension to pc in the lounge , turn off wireless.Had to use phone extensions, move Modem away from Master to use ethernet cable, as a temp measure; That,s what,s at hand;Not ideal;;till new router comes That,s the status Quo,
  • Myser
    Options
    I'm going to reply in your Techie forum thread as this is going off-topic for this thread:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3637171
  • joe134
    Options
    I'm going to reply in your Techie forum thread as this is going off-topic for this thread:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3637171
    Ok, When you have 1 master socket, a modem and dect phones, which need to be at Master, they have to be together,aint much choice is there???:beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure