16 year old son starting his army training help!

Options

Comments

• BettiePage
    BettiePage Posts: 4,627 Forumite
    Options
    cheepskate wrote: »
    Hi

Our son joined the RAF just under 9 months ago.

Don't worry he will be fine, our son made his own way there, he felt ok about it, it was me that worried.
    I would give himt he £50.00 but take his bank details incase he needs any more, it can be put in the same day as he can take it out , if you do it over the counter

From what i can remember our son had to buy an iron and iron board, and we just put extra into his account .
    Hubbys still got his original ironing board 21 years later. I've only recently replaced it, but he keeps it for if he's posted without us. Think it was a good investment, lol!
    Illegitimi non carborundum.
  • BettiePage
    BettiePage Posts: 4,627 Forumite
    Options
    loulou88 wrote: »
    I'm a bit unsure about the 6 weeks coming home.
    He so far has been told he can only have a travel warrant home at xmas not the 6 weeks? Is this right I kno he will love to come home but it takes 2 days to get home and then 2 weeks to get back again is it worth it and how long is a long weekend?
    I have just been sent a web link to the army web showing the camp wow i'm impressed my son said "well smart" so thumbs up so far.
    Double check that. As he's 'only' 16, that seems a long time...?
    Illegitimi non carborundum.
  • loulou88
    loulou88 Posts: 233 Forumite
    Options
    BettiePage wrote: »
    Hubbys still got his original ironing board 21 years later. I've only recently replaced it, but he keeps it for if he's posted without us. Think it was a good investment, lol!

I think that realy was o good investment then.
    lots of small steps
    will get you a long way
    bsc 140
  • loulou88
    loulou88 Posts: 233 Forumite
    Options
    BettiePage wrote: »
    Double check that. As he's 'only' 16, that seems a long time...?
    yes when he goes to take his oath a few days before he goes he will be asking if he can come home at 6 weeks and then also at xmas. I hope so I'm sure he will need it.
    thanks for everyone support on here it realy has made me feel better. Thanks any more tips let me know.
    lots of small steps
    will get you a long way
    bsc 140
  • pookienoodle
    Options
    Here is a link to Winchester army trainings bebo group.
    there are lots of people on there at the moment who ae looking to make friends with people going to Winchester at the same time as them.
    maybe your son could check it out.
    also lots of people who have already done the training so they can answer any questions for him.
    http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=6229901894
  • downs523
    downs523 Posts: 866 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    its nearly always 6 weeks for when tey join, its to get them to be more independant and get into routine
  • pollyanna78
    Options
    I was reading ur post with a little tear in my eye my daughter is off to training next week and I am dreading it, as her training is in the south of england and we live in N. Ireland. Her dad is taking her over so that is a big weight of my mind, I feel for u having to let him do this on his own he must be a strong lad willing to go the extra mile to go to training good on him u should be really proud. They do get a warrant at 6 weeks so i hope this will ease ur mind abit. I hope everything goes well.
  • TomJ
    TomJ Posts: 224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A decent pair of running shoes, as opposed to "fashion" trainers, is probably a good shout. I don't know how much the army does in boots, but I dare say there'll still be a fair bit in trainers and the Asics I took to initial training served me well. I got a 10% discount from the Up and Running shop in Sheen (nr Richmond) on a new pair of Brooks trainers a month or so ago; while they didn't have an official Forces discount they rean it through as a running club discount. You might try letting whichever shop you go to know what they're for and see if they'll give a discount.
    I am not a financial advisor or other expert. All posts are purely my thoughts at the time for discussion, not advice. Bear in mind, even most of this disclaimer is ripped off another forum user. Please check out the facts first before doing anything.
  • savinglikemad
    Options
    hi my son went to Harrogate, he only completed 5 months as he felt the army way of life was not for him, but hey he tried, the staff are brill, and he really bonded with his room mates, he had to buy an ironing board there, so get him a good one to take up, a top class iron is well worth it, sounds stupid but big A4 sized reasealable bags (for training on moors etc, keeps all your stuff dry,) but if he needs it badly don't panic Argos can deliver to the barracks for a fiver, which when he broke his first iron within a week was a god send. Keep your chin up, they really do look after them well, and any problems phone them, they are there to keep you and him happy, It was hell the first few weeks and you feel so low, but when you see him pass out and hear all the things he has been doing, compare him to the local kids and you will be so proud, I wish my lad had stuck it, but as I say I have pride in the fact he tried.
  • Cat695
    Cat695 Posts: 3,647 Forumite
    Options
    To be honest guys i really wouln't waste your money on a ironing board....every 3 months the training team get 40+ new recruits each bringing their own ironing board......they NEVER take them when they move to phase 2

when i was a Cpl there i could have opened my own secondhand ironing board shop with the amount left behind (though i would take my own iron)
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have failed to plan properly

I've only ever been wrong once! and that was when I thought I was wrong but I was right
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure