Great 'Young drivers car insurance savings' Hunt

Options

Comments

• rev_henry
    rev_henry Posts: 4,959 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 9 March 2011 at 3:21PM
    Options
    I drive a kitcar (looks a bit like a Mazda MX5) which is insured via a special deal arranged by the owners' club. The prices are guaranteed (as long as no accidents or convictions) and are not postcode dependent. This deal is for club members only (so add twenty quid for membership).

A 17-20 year old, prepared to drive no more than 3000 miles a year, can get fully comp under this scheme for under £451 (£318 for third party fire & theft). The excess is £350.

This is because kitcars tend to have been lovingly hand-built by the owners, sometimes over many years. So they're not the types to risk bending them; the premiums reflect this!

I'd have loved to get insured in a convertible at 17 and there's no cheaper way to do it. Older kitcars come in far cheaper secondhand than 'normal' cars and, if you get one with a good reputation, are often stronger/safer as they're over-engineered.

It's actually cheaper for me to insure my convertible kitcar, with a 2 litre engine (v quick!) than it is to insure my 'normal' Citroen 1.4 diesel!
    What car is this please? :D Is it a Quantum? Yes I'm fairly sure it is now. You may have just found me my next car. :p
  • rev_henry
    Options
    It might only help a few people... but we belong to the NFU & their car insurance is good value. We drive an old Ford (1.4L). We pay £220 a year fully comp for me & my husband. We paid £200 extra (again fully comp) for our 20 year old son to drive it. Last summer he bought his own car (old Polo) & pays £1000 a year fully comp. it includes 3rd party for him to drive any other car.
    Young drivers can get some great prices with NFU but last time I tried they said they would ONLY cover under 25 year olds if their parents were already with them. Also are you sure about the DOC provision? Usually only applies once you are 25...
  • coldjim
    coldjim Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I drive a kitcar (looks a bit like a Mazda MX5) which is insured via a special deal arranged by the owners' club. The prices are guaranteed (as long as no accidents or convictions) and are not postcode dependent. This deal is for club members only (so add twenty quid for membership).

A 17-20 year old, prepared to drive no more than 3000 miles a year, can get fully comp under this scheme for under £451 (£318 for third party fire & theft). The excess is £350.

This is because kitcars tend to have been lovingly hand-built by the owners, sometimes over many years. So they're not the types to risk bending them; the premiums reflect this!

I'd have loved to get insured in a convertible at 17 and there's no cheaper way to do it. Older kitcars come in far cheaper secondhand than 'normal' cars and, if you get one with a good reputation, are often stronger/safer as they're over-engineered.

It's actually cheaper for me to insure my convertible kitcar, with a 2 litre engine (v quick!) than it is to insure my 'normal' Citroen 1.4 diesel!

I'd like to know more about this too mate!
    how do we go about getting a 'kitcar"?
  • ettevy1983
    ettevy1983 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    what is the NFU?

Also any tips for me 1.4 fiesta wil have 5yr NCB by june worried as last year it went up from £450 to £700 (that was th 10% off deal with first direct) did a few quotes the other day as I heard insurance had gone up again and the cheapest was £1200 :eek::eek::eek:

I will be 28 when I renew with 7 years driving never had any claims drive 8000miles a year and am a student and live in liverpool city(Postcode L6)

I thought by 28 I wouldn't be classed as a young driver but dont think it changes till 30 years?
  • bfree15
    bfree15 Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am a 20 year old female with 2 years no claims and the last time I renewed my car insurance it was for just under £500.00 fully comp with a £250.00 mandatory excess with Admiral. The car was bought new in 09 and is in insurance group 4. I insured for 8,000 miles. I put both my parents on the policy as additional drivers even though they rarely drive my car, they both have over 20 years no claims. I used about 5/6 price comparison websites and your other insurers like Direct Line and Aviva as suggested in the guide on MSE website. I found a cheaper quote then my renewal price and Admiral price matched.

I have never had to pay more then £500.00 for my car insurance since I began driving at 17.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have never had to pay more then £500.00 for my car insurance since I began driving at 17.

That's partly because you are female.
    There are also massive variations due to postcode.
    Other people are clearly seeing MUCH higher premiums.
    But - good for you :-)
  • ettevy1983
    ettevy1983 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    I suspect mine is postcode but I can't move so never mind lol

Is there any way apart from these kit cars that companies won't take into account the postcode???
  • rev_henry
    Options
    coldjim wrote: »
    I'd like to know more about this too mate!
    how do we go about getting a 'kitcar"?
    Buy a ready-made one off ebay or pistonheads. As long as it was made properly! Years ago my dad was sent out to get a family car (when I was a baby) and came back with a rather bodged Dutton. :p
  • coldjim
    coldjim Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i've been looking for insurance and im getting prices such as £4000/£5000!!?? how do i get this down???
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure