PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Would you buy a house without a bath??

Options

Comments

• Glover1862
    Options
    I assume most people wash everyday, sometime twice in the summer, when would you have time to have a full bath???? Shower all the way.
  • Coconut01
    Options
    I rarely have a bath but with having young children i would discount anywhere that didn't have a bath.
  • movilogo
    movilogo Posts: 3,186 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I take shower standing in the bath - best of both worlds :D
    Happiness is buying an item and then not checking its price after a month to discover it was reduced further.
  • Mrs_CP
    Mrs_CP Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    We bought a house this year where the bath had been taken out and the space converted into a walk-in shower. I would have preferred both, but it wasn't a deal-breaker.

We may put the bath back in at some point as it will make life easier when grandchildren come along :-)

The main things I miss are being able to bath the dog without having to get in with him, and having a nice long soak with a glass of wine.
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    csgohan4 wrote: »
    just imagining someone washing their baby in the kitchen sink, I suppose it is big enough, but not sure it would appreciate Fairy liquid over baby shampoo

I recall plenty of my baby photos of me being washed in the kitchen sink as a baby - was much easier height for my mum to manage. I assume she used baby shampoo but if she used Fairy liquid then I'm pretty sure no long term effects have been suffered and I have no dried on egg either :rotfl:
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Bvv
    Bvv Posts: 34 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Depends on the space. If there is sufficient space, then I'd prefer a bath with shower over it. If your bathroom is tiny, however, then I'd much rather have a non-cramped shower room than a cramped bathroom!
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I would prefer to have a bath (and shower over it) than just a shower.
    In looking at houses I would consider one with only a shower, but only if there was room to install a bath, and my offer would reflect that fact that i would want to have a bath put in.

If there wasn't enough space for a full length bath I would not consider buyer.

(Bath with no shower would mean I'd be thinking of the cost of adding a shower, but would be less off-putting)

That said, unless you are planning to sell soon, do what works best for your household. If you decide to go for no bath, consider keeping some photos or a plan of of the bathroom 'before' to show that a bath can be fitted in.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do what me mum done , put a sitting bath in and a shower over the deep end

It was actually very handy for all age groups. Those that wanted a bath but had mobility problems could still use it, kids could bath their babies in it with the use of a good mat, those who wanted a shower were catered for as well.

Weren’t cheap back then but I’m sure the have become much popular so should be within reach
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,068 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Options
    I'd buy a house without a bath because fewer people would be interested and I'd be more likely to be in a better negotiating position. A bath is easy to install and if I were considering selling a house without a bath I would install one just for the purposes of selling
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    I always said I'd never buy a house without a bath but the right house came along at the right time and I did just that.

I can't stop calling it the bathroom though, even though it doesn't have one!

My girls are a bit older now and were extremely happy when we told them there won't be a bath :rotfl:
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories