Reduced bargains and yellow stickers shopping

Options

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The problem with finding an item you want and asking the member of staff to reduce it more is imo they shouldn't give prefential treatment to 1 customer and not others so in theory they should treat all customers the same.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 11 May 2019 at 4:30PM
    Options
    One of my friends works for Sainsburys and they can enter prices manually on their handsets. Though the default reduction is a third off. She doesn't need a manager to able to reduce things to 5p-20p at the end of the day. I know when I was with my ex - worked for Morrisons, at the time (2007) the code checker had to get a manager's sign on to override the reductions below a certain % - couldn't remember what that was and unsure if this is still the case.

The bit in bold. Is that I know Sainsburys does track suspicious activities on reductions etc. They know the use by date on products and stock levels.

Morrisons HHTs were renewed a couple of years ago also running new software and it's all changed. First reduction is 25%, second 50% after 12noon (and it does it automatically, no having to type the price in) and so on until the end of the day when it's daft price time. If you want daft price or higher reduction before then you need a manager code.

That doesn't mean you can go up to a member of staff at 12noon and ask/demand something to be reduced further to 50%. They will be done when the store decides depending on what staff they have on, what other tasks they are doing, and how busy/quiet the store is.

And the bit in bold - as I said, every retailer I've known do not allow staff to go reducing stuff on demand of a customer without permission from a manager first. You're just leaving yourself open to disciplinary action by doing so. It's got nothing to do with stock levels and sell by dates.

• General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,842 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Anyone else feel that Sainsbury’s do not reduce their foods in the cold ‘day of expiry’ section enough to encourage a purchase?

So many of the items are only reduced by 20p or at best recently 60p, on items that cost £’s originally so not much saving.

To my my mind, a lot of these are still there at the end of the day and will be dumped!
    I live next door to a big branch and I’m in there all times of the day and evening.

Asda and Morrisons on the other hand really do lower their reduced prices.

I don't have an opinion about Sainsbury's but I have certainly found that my local Tesco Metro gathers items which are on the sell-by date and puts them together but does not mark them down at all, not a single penny.

Obviously waiting for someone to come along and deal with them but this seems to mean waiting hours during which time nobody is going to buy them because they are both flagged as being near to expiry and have no reduction marked.

Alternatively it may be they are waiting to donate them to a food bank/charity outlet.

Reductions, when they do happen, are not significant. For instance, items which are part of a multi-buy offer will be marked down to around the equivalent price as if bought on multi-buy or seem to have about 10% off.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

Reductions, when they do happen, are not significant. For instance, items which are part of a multi-buy offer will be marked down to around the equivalent price as if bought on multi-buy or seem to have about 10% off.

Link save offers are never included in reductions and why should they? They are still a reduction on the single purchase price.

Are you one of those that moan to the staff every time as if they didn't already know for the 1000th time?
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,842 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 May 2019 at 10:59AM
    Options
    Link save offers are never included in reductions and why should they? They are still a reduction on the single purchase price.

Are you one of those that moan to the staff every time as if they didn't already know for the 1000th time?

Where did I say that I wanted to take advantage of a "link save OFFER" included in a reduction. That would be where £X (the reduction originally offered) is also deducted from the reduced price items if the original offer quantity is purchased.

I was pointing out that, if we are looking at money saving, we should look at the unit cost in a multi-buy offer - because in my view that is what the shop can easily afford to sell them at as otherwise they would not do it. I then look at whether the reduced unit cost is truly a reduction against that.

And no I have never moaned at staff because I can comprehend the rules. And I'm old enough to remember when supermarket computers did actually give the original reduction when the appropriate number of multi-buy items were purchased. (I think that was in the days before BOGOF.)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Where did I say that I wanted to take advantage of a "link save OFFER" included in a reduction. That would be where £X (the reduction originally offered) is also deducted from the reduced price items if the original offer quantity is purchased.

I was pointing out that, if we are looking at money saving, we should look at the unit cost in a multi-buy offer - because in my view that is what the shop can easily afford to sell them at as otherwise they would not do it. I then look at whether the reduced unit cost is truly a reduction against that.

And no I have never moaned at staff because I can comprehend the rules. And I'm old enough to remember when supermarket computers did actually give the original reduction when the appropriate number of multi-buy items were purchased. (I think that was in the days before BOGOF.)

Offers e.g. £2 each or 2 for £3 where if you got one reduced with a yellow sticker to £1.50 you could argue it's still 2 for £3 but you are forgetting that the single item is still a reduction on the full price single item.

And who still does BOGOF these days? Major supermarkets stopped those years ago due to the backlash about food waste.
  • dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Another good haul in Morrisons today at 90 -> 95% off. Freezer is full of chicken , kievs , steak pie , curry ,ham & cheese flatbreads , samosa, cornish pasties , various breads . Over £30 of stuff for £1.65
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yellow-sticker beanfeast at M&S Foodhall this evening; not sure why :think:. Got five ready meals each for less than half price, plus e.g. Chipotle coleslaw for 16p, Indian starters (samosas, pekoras etc) for 65p instead of £2.50, and wholemeal+rye bread for 18p. Wish I'd bought more now . . .
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    dlusman wrote: »
    Another good haul in Morrisons today at 90 -> 95% off. Freezer is full of chicken , kievs , steak pie , curry ,ham & cheese flatbreads , samosa, cornish pasties , various breads . Over £30 of stuff for £1.65

No wonder they are closing shops!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    Some of you are so lucky.

It seems to me that yellow stickers are far less generous than they used to be. Tesco knock 10-20% off by mid-afternoon when previously it was 50%; Morrisons have been very disappointing recently and last week there was no reduced bread in Morrisons at all.

A mix of lower % reductions and better stock control by supermarkets meaning less to reduce?

Also Tesco have closed their 'counters' which used to be a good source of reduced stuff near the end of the day.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback