Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 20th May 19, 8:21 AM
    • 7,289Posts
    • 43,437Thanks
    determined new ms
    What small DFW things will you do w/c 20th May?
    • 20th May 19, 8:21 AM
    What small DFW things will you do w/c 20th May? 20th May 19 at 8:21 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 3016.55/Roadkill 8.73
    Wombling 2018 145.73/RK 0.04
Page 2
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 20th May 19, 5:22 PM
    • 2,773 Posts
    • 18,936 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Good big or bad big? Fingers crossed for you either way!
    Originally posted by carrielovesfanta
    Definitely good big. Will update in due course. Thanks for all your positive wishes. You lot are amazing.

La e massive congratulations. Enjoy every moment. Do write things down as you think I'll always remember when they first smiled, when they lost their first tooth but after a while it all goes in a blur. I kept a journal with my first for about the first 4 months, almost daily. It's lovely to look back on.
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 20th May 19, 8:04 PM
    • 5,637 Posts
    • 44,898 Thanks
    DawnW
    Goodness, it is all happening today, isn't it!
    Huge congratulations to La E on the birth of baby E
    Glad your plumbing nightmare is fixed DNMS
    Sounds intriguing Purps, all the best with it!
    Pleased everything turned out ok CLF!
    ((Hugs)) to everyone else who needs them!

Spendy day here today, bought boring camper van supplies (bottled gas and toilet disinfectant) for the weekend, a much needed new cardigan, a charity shop top and some new nighties and a dressing gown for when I go into hospital. Goodness knows when that will be, but I got them in a sale, so better than waiting and having to buy at the last moment at full price. Also did a small shop in Mr S and bought fuel, so I think I need a couple of NSDs to get over all that lot
    Other than that:
    Washed hair and left it to dry naturally

Restocked sales unit
    Returned a book to Amazon
    All food from home
    Avoided coffee out this afternoon - came home for one instead
    Checked banks and updated spreadsheet, including all of today's spends
    Bit of business paperwork
    Chased up missing membership cards for an organisation we belong to

Made appointment for dog's haircut as he resembles a mop again

Bit of watering in the garden
    Now need to put away the few things I bought back from my sales unit.
    Not much today, really, must do better (and cheaper!) tomorrow,

• PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 21st May 19, 5:10 AM
    • 2,773 Posts
    • 18,936 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Morning all

Lovely seeing the thread so busy. Long day at work so only a little list:

Check banking, move last of money to savings before payday on Friday
    Query something to rainforest folk. Parcel arrived yesterday with only half my order
    Fish defrosting already for tea
    Smalls to prepaid activity
    Meal plan for next week
    Leftovers for lunch for dd and I.
    Boil an egg for a snack
    Hot drink for commute

Have a good day all. Purps.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 21st May 19, 5:55 AM
    • 3,598 Posts
    • 6,616 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    Congrats to La Escocesa!!
    Yesterday I finally managed to finish the garden jobs that I started a couple of days ago. Sat down for a well-earned cuppa on the patio and the clouds rolled in!!

Applied for a job yesterday afternoon - it's only for 8 weeks, covering summer, but it's in my preferred field, so is worth a try.

I had a corn removed at the beginning of May, and about three days ago it started hurting again, so went back last night for the chiropodist to have another go at it. The first appointment was a short (15 minute) one, and she only charged 17. This time she told me that, as I'd come back within 2 weeks, it's free!! (It was actually 2 weeks and 3 days!!) She went much deeper this time, and reckons she's got it all now. Fingers crossed.

Today my diary reckons I've got a meeting at work at 1 o'clock. Which is normal. But it also informs me that I have another meeting tomorrow at 1 o'clock! I've sent a couple of emails to colleagues to check if there are actually two meetings, or if today's has been cancelled and I've not changed it in my diary. I don't want to drive over there if I don't have to. I was right to check - meeting is tomorrow. Which works well, as I'm doing a guided tour (in costume) in the morning, then grab some lunch, then into the meeting in the afternoon. Happy Days.
    It's Rubber Chicken Day 3 (chicken salad for lunch, chunky chicken soup for dinner) - I'm going to include it in my blog, so I need to remember to take photos before I start eating!!
    Last edited by trailingspouse; 21-05-2019 at 7:26 PM.
    • Season of Mist
    • By Season of Mist 21st May 19, 6:38 AM
    • 57 Posts
    • 427 Thanks
    Season of Mist
    Morning all,

Left the car at home, did the part bus/part walk route to work, will walk the whole route back unless I have a late finish.

Brought fruit to work for cheap lunch. All hot drinks from tea fund. Gym and shower at work if there is time later.

Hoping for a NSD but may have to make a small stop at shops later.
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 21st May 19, 6:51 AM
    • 4,957 Posts
    • 28,497 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Morning Campers, & big congrats to La E on the arrival of Little E x
    Sunny here. Have a meeting tonight but intend to get lots done today. Frugal efforts will be:
    *Not going anywhere so not spending anything. I have 2.70 of my May personal spends allowance left, so frittering not an option!
    *Last of the rubber ham hock will be going into a pasta bake.
    *Make tomorrow's packed lunch.
    *Water greenhouse veggies, continue hardening plants off, etc.
    *Start planting out hardened off bedding plants.
    *Big push on getting cardi finished. Didn't knit a single stitch yesterday despite good intentions.
    There will probably be more things as I go along.
    My best wishes to those who are preparing for surgeries. I know that feeling of getting stocked up on nighties, undies, etc, ready for hospital, as I got all prepared for a hysterectomy last year, then saw a different consultant who advised me it wasn't necessary. Consequently, this house is Pants Central, lol. Hope everything goes well. HK... at least you could choose a date, which must have felt like a teensy bit of control, if nothing else.
    OK, must go & peg out the overnight laundry. Lovely day.... tho cat is snuggled up on his blankets as though it is sub-arctic.
    F xx
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = 320 2016 = 210 2017 = 304 2018 = 418 2019 = 124
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 21st May 19, 7:32 AM
    • 2,152 Posts
    • 17,096 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Morning all!

Good big! Purps I am all excited now!
    Dawn - I hope the op comes sooner rather than later. It's horrible waiting around for things isn't it.

All went to plan yesterday evening. Did a nice long free stretching video on youtube. I want to get back into doing this as I lost momentum on it. Will do one vid a day. the shortest vid is only 6mins so no excuse there!

Today's mission:
    B/L/D from stores
    B: Porridge with chia, raisins and peanut butter - nom
    S1: Cottage cheese, seed mix and oatcakes - nom
    L: Teriyaki pork - nom
    S2: Protein shake - nom
    D: Dirty fries topped with shredded chicken - nom
    Log cals in free app - done
    Charge phone in work - done
    Gym at lunchtime as missed yesterday - done
    No alcohol - done
    Not going out after work - done
    Do free stretching vid - done
    Washing on 30 deg and a short spin. Out on line to dry - done
    Check garden - done
    OH to do housework - done
    Remind OH to save water if he has a bath - done
    Ordered big protein order as have a 40% off code. Should get 4% cashback towards my insurance too. Ordered on CC and will pay back at month start as it's budgeted then. Didn't want to waste the code though. - done
    Buy some semi permanent hair dye and hope for the best... going back to my natural colour (ish) for a bit to save money. I haven't been my natural colour since I was 14... feel sad at the prospect. - not done

Have a good one all

clf x
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 22-05-2019 at 7:59 AM.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: 10,490.31

SAVINGS: 8500
    Car final lump sum: 400/6113
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 21st May 19, 7:56 AM
    • 7,289 Posts
    • 43,437 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning guys Foxgloves you're posting early this morning!

So today is my last day off before returning to work tomorrow there's things I want to do, things I need to do and right now I'm thinking I should make it as relaxing as possible to enjoy the last hours and try not to worry about it!

So today:

* go to the allotment. Must do as didn't do much over the last week
    * load of washing in machine and will hang out when it finishes
    * get clothes/food/bag/phone charged ready for tomorrow....
    * contact a potential customer to see if they still need some work doing
    * make a decision whether I will get a clapper or a cutting mat with my recent earnings
    * finish cv & covering letter and send off
    * take books to library
    * nip to sm - just need a few bits
    * while I am there nip to B&Q as apparently they have a sale on wallpaper and I need some for madam's room
    * vacuum out car
    * check cc statement. Think I need to make a payment!
    * make loaf of bread
    * order zip for customer and do their repairs
    * some personal sewing
    * pack up 3 boxes from madam's room

Ok too much! Better think about getting started....
    * read book
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 21st May 19, 9:19 AM
    • 5,637 Posts
    • 44,898 Thanks
    DawnW
    Morning all
    Thinking of CCL today - isn't it her court date re her divorce?
    Best wishes for a smooth return to work tomorrow DNMS
    Up early this morning, and got quite a bit done already:
    Walked dog
    Load of washing, now on line
    Watered plants in back garden
    Made a cake (in the oven now). Mary Berry's banana loaf to use up 3 black bananas
    Made a batch of shortcrust pastry, currently chilling in the fridge. I will turn it into a quiche later, and use up the scraps to make some mince pies or similar. Not seasonal I know, but OH loves them, and I have leftover HM mincemeat.
    Dusted dresser in dining room as I could write my name in the dust
    Bit of tidying up
    Checked banks and updated spending diary
    Now waiting for DD and little GS to turn up

• ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 21st May 19, 9:30 AM
    • 3,506 Posts
    • 31,042 Thanks
    ziggy2407
    Good Morning everyone

Dawn - Hope you're Op date comes through soon

The suns shining again, not sure what we'll do today as DH is ill (which is v unusual) and as we were stuck at home yesterday I got all washing done and ironed and put away - I can't remember the last time that ever happened (all on the same day), today we will:

Check Bank & made PAD - Done
    List a few bits on Freegle -
    Swagbucks -
    Enter a few comps -
    Purge a few emails -
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer -
    Check: Lucky Bob, PMP, WinaDinner -
    Read Book

Have a great day!

C x
    Make 5 per day 2018 1556.43/1825.00 Make 5 per day Jan 19 36.08/155 Make 5 per day in Feb 19 414.06/140 Make 5 per day Mar 19 60.55/155 Make 5 per day in Apr 19 158.65/150 Make 5 per day in May 19 28.00/155 Make 5 per day in June 19 16.50/150
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 21st May 19, 11:24 AM
    • 658 Posts
    • 10,971 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Hi all,
    Lovely to read everyones news,

Todays list
    ys bread for toast and the scrapings of a jar of peanut butter
    ds2 to free school breakfast club
    refilled water bottle at the gym twice
    brunch with my dad which was last nights chicken pasta bake leftovers & a bit of spinach from the back of the fridge
    checked banking /updated spreadsheet
    two loads washed on the quick 30 degree wash and hung on the line
    dishwasher running on the quick wash also
    go to aldee once I've heard from ds1 on his lunch break, as he's got cookery tomorrow but didn't know what he needed ingredient wise
    general tidy round
    water plant pots this evening

Hopefully I'll come up with more to do this afternoon as I don't really want a lot of time to think at the minute. We've a couple of things going on in the background that are messing with my head/sleep that can't be resolved just at the minute but I just need to focus on the things I do have some control over. Sorry for moaning!

Take care all.

Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • brednall
    • By brednall 21st May 19, 1:30 PM
    • 533 Posts
    • 3,003 Thanks
    brednall
    Hi all

Fell off the DFW wagon a bit lately. Today I have:

* sold something on a selling site, received payment and transferred it straight to CC. Hopefully more to list later. Need to destash fabric as I know I won't use it in the foreseeable future.
    * popped to Aldi at lunch for a couple of salad bits for tea and jacket spuds for me. Kids tea will be from the stores.
    * check on sunflowers. Planted 3 into spaces in pots but need to find room for the rest
    * updated ss and started next months. Last payday on normal wages as my hours increase from 3rd June
    * need to pop and collect an order for my son for his forest school kit. He needs it for Thursday so hope it fits
    * sort out some washing later
    * exercise on the equipment already at home
    * rearrange hair appointment (birthday money set aside for this already). The lady has left the salon and was coming to my house but I really don't feel comfortable with that so I will need to cancel that and re-make it with the other lady at the salon

Have a great afternoon

Emma
    Baby daughter born 27/01/10 - Jessica Evie 8lbs 3ozs

Baby son born 26/06/11 - Daniel Alan 7lbs 2ozs
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 21st May 19, 6:47 PM
    • 4,769 Posts
    • 41,783 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Thanks for thinking of me today Dawn - it was my court date. The first one anyway. It cost me 1600 and we were in for less than 10 minutes. The judge adjourned for 6 weeks as my ex hasn't responded to any of the letters or submitted any forms. He's currently in hospital miles away but hasn't been for most of the time I've been trying to sort it out. I'm quite sad about it because it's costing so much and still isn't sorted. I just want it all over with - we are divorced and I don't feel like I can move on with things until the house is sorted out as well. I'll just have to keep waiting and keep paying.
    NST June #16 nsd =
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 21st May 19, 9:09 PM
    • 2,501 Posts
    • 12,929 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    DNMS Thank you for starting this weeks thread :A
    • ditty1234
    • By ditty1234 21st May 19, 9:49 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 1,032 Thanks
    ditty1234
    Just managed to loose a very poetic post that I wrote, anyways went for gorgeous social walk at dusk, counted 3rd NSD day, baked bread for tomorrow - and had dinner outside w ds and tidied kitchen.
    A long but a good day.
    CCL what a useless ex you have, some things just have to be done slowly and carefully, so hopefully they will only have to be done once!
    Laters DFW'ers
    Debt Free Wannabe LBM Jan 2019 -25.928/-24992 3.6 % paid off
    EF 0 March 2019 /EF 460 in June 2019
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 22nd May 19, 5:45 AM
    • 2,773 Posts
    • 18,936 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Cat big hugs. Sending you lots of relaxing thoughts for your week off.
    Dawn hope a date comes through soon
    Ziggy hope mr Ziggy is feeling better
    1luckylady hope the things taking up headspace are sorted soon. Are you still using your app? Think it was head space?

Up early so I've just done a home workout rather than loose myself in the Internet and/or my banking spreadsheets other things:

Drink plenty of water
    Shower, use shampoo, conditioner and soap all in bar form. Last sooooo much longer
    Place an order for my small business. Don't do very much on this these days but a few isn't to be sniffed at.
    Something from meal plan/ stores for tea
    Make packed lunch for small
    Get DH to get dd repeat prescription whilst he is passing
    Try and book holiday tonight use money from holiday piggy

Have a good day everyone. Purps.
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 22nd May 19, 6:20 AM
    • 7,289 Posts
    • 43,437 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning purps exciting times booking a holiday

Cat sorry to hear that things are really rough and expensive. Hoping this proceeds quickly for you x

Back to work today I have real mixed feelings about it. But today I start late and finish early. I can do anything for 6.5 hours....

Small things:

* load of washing in machine. Will hang out before going
    * wearing my new top as amour. This is THE top I've struggled with since beginning of April. But it is done!
    * frittata for B/batch made spinach & pearl barley soup for L
    * read newsletter
    * find and order cutting mat found a clapper for a reasonable price yesterday and ordered and still have enough for a mat from recent earnings
    * do some sewing tonight - must keep doing the things I love!
    * return some leggings bought for madam and exchange for a smaller size on way home
    * remind madam to put pe shorts in pe bag today
    * read book
    * half hour in garden tidying

That's all. Have a great day
    Last edited by determined new ms; 22-05-2019 at 6:30 AM.
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 22nd May 19, 7:35 AM
    • 3,598 Posts
    • 6,616 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    PurpleFairy - impressed with the home work out. What do you do?

Bit of a nightmare yesterday.
    The day before, my credit card provider had rung me to tell me of suspicious activity on my account - I rang them back from a different phone, to confirm. Had I spent 78p and then 300+ in Vietnam at 3am? Well, no, actually, I hadn't. So - they've had to put a stop on my card and I'll be getting a new one in a couple of days.

In the meantime, the car that we're wanting to sell was booked in for its MOT, with strict instructions to the garage to just do what needs to be done to get it through. Total bill 375 (which was less than I expected, to be fair). Normally I would pay with my credit card, but...
    So, no worries thinks I, I'll stick it on the debit card for the joint account that OH and I still have, as we'll be splitting the bill anyway. But of course it's a debit card - won't work on amounts over 300. Never mind I think - there's a cashmachine just round the corner, I'll pay 300 on the card and then the other 75 in cash. Cash machine not working. So I ended up paying the 75 out of my sole account. And now I'm very confused about who owes what. Add in the fact that we used some re-conditioned parts and I need to take the old ones back to the suppliers for a refund, (so OH will be entitled to half of that too), and I think my head might explode. Still, once it's sold we'll divvy up the proceeds, so that'll be nice. And I get my garage back!!
    Today should be much more straightforward - doing a guided tour this morning, and a meeting this afternoon!!
    • ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 22nd May 19, 7:46 AM
    • 3,506 Posts
    • 31,042 Thanks
    ziggy2407
    Good Morning everyone

CCL - Sending love and hugs
    DNMS - Hope today goes well (ps we need to see your makes)
    PF - DH is much better and thankfully it hasn't spread to his chest

Today we will:

Check Bank & made PAD - Done
    Order Prescription Payment card (saves me a fortune) - Done
    Pilates -
    List a few bits on Freegle -
    Swagbucks -
    Enter a few comps -
    Purge a few emails -
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer -
    Check: Lucky Bob, PMP, WinaDinner -
    Read Book

Have a great day!

C x
    Make 5 per day 2018 1556.43/1825.00 Make 5 per day Jan 19 36.08/155 Make 5 per day in Feb 19 414.06/140 Make 5 per day Mar 19 60.55/155 Make 5 per day in Apr 19 158.65/150 Make 5 per day in May 19 28.00/155 Make 5 per day in June 19 16.50/150
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 22nd May 19, 8:09 AM
    • 2,152 Posts
    • 17,096 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Morning folks!

DNMS - will be thinking of you today
    ccl - sorry to hear this is still dragging out. I hope you have a good day
    Trailingspouse - what a horrible shock! I hope you get the money back soon.
    ditty - I hate losing posts! I always press ctrl+a then ctrl+c (select all, then copy all) before I post in case it gets eaten. Ally has often recommended an add-on called Lazarus too.

Well I'm feeling fairly chipper today which is good. Pretty standard day though
    B/L/D from stores
    B: Porridge with chia, raisins and peanut butter - nom
    S1: Banana chips, almonds and cacao nibs - nom
    L: Chicken burrito bowl - nom
    S2: Strained yogurt and seed mix
    D: Tuna salad
    Log cals in free app - done
    Charge phone in work - done
    Gym at lunchtime - done
    No alcohol - decided on a cheeky prosecco together as it's our wedding anniversary tomorrow
    Do free stretching vid
    Check garden
    Use mooncup - done
    Check PMP - thanks for reminding me ziggy - done

Might add a bit more

Have a good one all

clf x
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 22-05-2019 at 5:17 PM.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: 10,490.31

SAVINGS: 8500
    Car final lump sum: 400/6113
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

181Posts Today

1,352Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Dear gumtree - I feel I've been sold a kipper. You're advertising has my face on it but I don't do adverts. If yo? https://t.co/kJAuziloOM

• RT @MoneySavingExp: ????This chap ????@MSE_GuyAnker is responsible for delivering MSE's Weekly Email to 14 million people, 52 weeks of the year.?

• Follow Martin