Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Floss
    • By Floss 4th Jan 18, 12:20 PM
    • 4,902Posts
    • 45,688Thanks
    Floss
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!
    • 4th Jan 18, 12:20 PM
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond! 4th Jan 18 at 12:20 PM
    This is a new thread to take over from this one: What is your charity shop bargain?

I will put a linky to this thread onto the old one

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 08-05-2018 at 9:26 AM.
Page 130
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 6th May 19, 2:12 PM
    • 5,962 Posts
    • 25,950 Thanks
    Mirů
    Had a nice surprise this afty....a friend has just returned from a trip to America and brought me back a 'Goodwill Jewelry Jar'. Never heard of them before but I understand that 'Goodwill' shops are similar to our charity shops and it is a thing for them to gather up surplus stock of costume-type jewellery...(sorry jewelry), stuff it into various sizes of glass jars, seal the tops and sell them at prices ranging from $5 to $100 depending if there is any silver or, heaven forbid, gold!. You get a tantalising glimpse of the contents through the glass but have no idea what might be lurking deep in the depths. Anyhoo, my friend bought one for herself as well so we have just had a fascinating time going through the two jars. My jar cost $10 and contained 6 items that I will keep and wear, (including an art deco stylee brooch, a silver & turquoise Indian style necklace, an abalone shell necklace, a chunky perspex bracelet, a gold coloured celtic knot type brooch and a multicoloured glass ring. Also put aside 4 items that I might use as gifts, some more will be returning to a charity shop and a few things that were damaged will be thrown away. I wish our charity shops would do something similar as it is great fun sorting through the goodies.

Well I never....just Googled to find out more about these jars and it seems that it is the thing to video yourself opening these jars and posting the video on Youtube! Who knew??!
    Remember how far you have come not how far you have to go
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 6th May 19, 3:30 PM
    • 9,519 Posts
    • 31,942 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Makes the usual Lucky Dip look half hearted!

What a fun way to move stock though...
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 6th May 19, 3:53 PM
    • 22,651 Posts
    • 61,253 Thanks
    Pollycat
    What a fab idea, Miro.
    I love brooches so would keep those.
    Ditto the silver & turquoise necklace and the shell necklace.
    Would the broken items be any good to someone who makes their own jewellery? Worth donating to a charity shop on that basis?

Hope your friend had equal luck with her jar.

PS: pleased to be in the same company as you re 'articulated'/'reticulated'.
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 6th May 19, 4:42 PM
    • 5,962 Posts
    • 25,950 Thanks
    Mirů
    What a fab idea, Miro.
    I love brooches so would keep those.
    Ditto the silver & turquoise necklace and the shell necklace.
    Would the broken items be any good to someone who makes their own jewellery? Worth donating to a charity shop on that basis?

Hope your friend had equal luck with her jar.

PS: pleased to be in the same company as you re 'articulated'/'reticulated'.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    You have just given me an idea!! I have a local Sue Ryder Vintage shop that also sells lots of arty/crafty things...I shall call in with all the stuff with missing stones/broken chains/single earrings/odd beads....might be useful for crafty people!

The star items in the other jar were a 'Pandora' stylee bracelet with lovely silver/blue beads, an old Swatch watch in nice condition and some diamonte hair slidey/ornament thingies. A fair bit of swopseying went on after everything had been inspected and researched
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 6th May 19, 4:50 PM
    • 10,230 Posts
    • 16,809 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    Same here...I wondered why anyone would want a folding plate!!!!
    Originally posted by Mir!
    I would! It would be perfect for my travels when I am on my own, so I stay in my hotel room with a picnic (i.e. whatever the local Asda or Morrisons has reduced that doesn't need cooking) for my tea. I am constantly trying to find ways to reduce the size of my backpack - a folding plate would be ideal . I already have collapsible bowls but the plate is a bit of a challenge.
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

• DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 6th May 19, 5:20 PM
    • 9,519 Posts
    • 31,942 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Folding plate? Bizarrely amongst the ultralight camping community that is a holy grail hence the plastic origami - the orikaso gear
    So while I'm sound on Denby my exploring scouts also need plates they can play frisbee with & this does the job for keeping their food off their campsite, clothes and so forth (initially).

Or are these the folding bowls you've already bumped into?
    • Lucyjoanne
    • By Lucyjoanne 6th May 19, 6:16 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    Lucyjoanne
    I got a pair of kenzo men’s trousers yesterday (that I plan on reselling ��) reduced down to £1 at saint elizabeths hospice.

Tags still on, selling as part of TK Maxx’s gold label at £69.99.
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 6th May 19, 6:23 PM
    • 10,230 Posts
    • 16,809 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    Folding plate? Bizarrely amongst the ultralight camping community that is a holy grail hence the plastic origami - the orikaso gear
    So while I'm sound on Denby my exploring scouts also need plates they can play frisbee with & this does the job for keeping their food off their campsite, clothes and so forth (initially).

Or are these the folding bowls you've already bumped into?
    Originally posted by DigForVictory
    Good heavens, I didn't know about those. Two sets ordered!

My collapsing bowls are the sort you push the middles down to make a bowl shape, they are about an inch deep when collapsed. Okay for cereal, although I have been known to use a hotel mug (not very successfully) for that.

• Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 7th May 19, 12:25 PM
    • 10,230 Posts
    • 16,809 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    Iím in Wetherspoons Chorley... well itís steak day so it would be rude not to! So far a pair of black Craghoppers cotton trousers for £2 in Age UK and a lovely china mug (made in Paris) for 50p in one of the Hospice shops.

Lovely town and itís market day (unless they are out every day?), so pleased I read about it on here. Not spotted any Denbigh (Denby?) yet though .

• MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 7th May 19, 12:37 PM
    • 13,324 Posts
    • 182,959 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Being in the right place at the right time netted me 14 new items of babywear for those new Grandpickles who are arriving in the autumn some with the original labels still on for £4.50! I do my stint in the charity shop tomorrow and there are still two boxes to be sorted through and what I got this morning had in some Next and Jo-Jo Bebe Maman items in it.
    You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself!

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 7th May 19, 3:52 PM
    • 5,962 Posts
    • 25,950 Thanks
    Mirů
    Had a bit of a splurge in the RSPCA shop in Otley today Came across a brand new Ted Baker orange leather handbag...think it might be one of those 'surplus stock' items that TB gives to charity shops. Anyhoo, soon as I saw I knew it would be perfect with the orange dress recently purchased. It's sorta 50's stylee, boxy with a detachable cross body strap. It has a big double bow on the front embellished with 'diamonds', Sounds dead classy dunnit....tee tee! (I think TB did a collection called 'the bow collection' a while ago). Now for the bit....paid £29.99 for it. Oh well, it sparks joy and I got a payment from some surveys today so it didn't cost any 'real' money
    • Lavendar
    • By Lavendar 7th May 19, 4:25 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    Lavendar
    Went to a fete and got a jo malone soap for £1 it came in a gift box I knew it was an in name but horrified when I saw the actual price not going to be a gift keeping it for me.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 7th May 19, 4:36 PM
    • 22,651 Posts
    • 61,253 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Had a bit of a splurge in the RSPCA shop in Otley today Came across a brand new Ted Baker orange leather handbag...think it might be one of those 'surplus stock' items that TB gives to charity shops. Anyhoo, soon as I saw I knew it would be perfect with the orange dress recently purchased. It's sorta 50's stylee, boxy with a detachable cross body strap. It has a big double bow on the front embellished with 'diamonds', Sounds dead classy dunnit....tee tee! (I think TB did a collection called 'the bow collection' a while ago). Now for the bit....paid £29.99 for it. Oh well, it sparks joy and I got a payment from some surveys today so it didn't cost any 'real' money
    Originally posted by Mir!
    I've said lots of times that it doesn't matter how much you pay as long as you yourself think it's a bargain.
    And I also take into account what the original price would have been.
    So I'd say £30 for a new Ted Baker leather bag (which goes with something you already have) is a good buy.
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 7th May 19, 6:46 PM
    • 27,393 Posts
    • 116,546 Thanks
    candygirl
    Iím in Wetherspoons Chorley... well itís steak day so it would be rude not to! So far a pair of black Craghoppers cotton trousers for £2 in Age UK and a lovely china mug (made in Paris) for 50p in one of the Hospice shops.

Lovely town and itís market day (unless they are out every day?), so pleased I read about it on here. Not spotted any Denbigh (Denby?) yet though .
    Originally posted by Bogof_Babe
    Chorley just has to be done on Market day
    Mrs LW , are you expecting multiple Grandpickles?
    I've been buying yet more hols clothes off fleabay, n shpock.It has worked out cheaper than chazzers near me
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 8th May 19, 8:20 AM
    • 4,549 Posts
    • 42,163 Thanks
    dolly84
    I got a Berghaus black gilet yesterday, it is a size large and fits both DH and me (multiple layers can go under it for me), very expensive new and this is in immaculate condition, paid £8.99 for it. Also got a Postcard from Brighton drapey edge to edge cardigan with batwing sleeves in a black and pink/beige marl for £3.50, I had never heard to the brand but will be looking into them more as they make all their clothes in the UK.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
    • Magpie100
    • By Magpie100 8th May 19, 1:31 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 435 Thanks
    Magpie100
    Well, this is more of a post about what I _didn't_ buy this lunchtime in the Sue Ryder shop. I was tempted by so many things but none of them were perfect and I realised I should put them back so they could be perfect for someone else to have. So, my non-purchases () were:

A Phase Eight lace camisol / cardigan. This was so pretty! But brown, which is a bit tricky. And a size 10, which is too small for my broad shoulders. I could have worn it unbuttoned over a vest top and it would have looked nice, but I am not sure how much use I would get from something brown and quite evening dressy.

A Mint Velvet chiffony tunic in muted greens and browns. I was so tempted, but it was a size 14 so too large. I almost bought it to wear in Bermuda, but it was too smart to be a beach cover-up. Gah.

A black t-shirt with an orange neon pattern and a sheer back. This was brand new by a brand called Select. Size 10 and fitted me well. I probably should have bought this - argh!

A blue and grey patterned top by Apricot. This was so lovely - soft material, drapey effect. But very much for autumn. The zip had a paper wrapper over it which suggests it might be new, but it was a bit grubby on the front, so perhaps not.

A blue and white nautical-style top from Next. Very nice, good for work, but recent purchases mean I couldn't justify this as just more of the same.

Another Whistles jacket! Very plain, grey, and fairly well worn. At £4.50 this would be a great Spring bargain but as previous readers know I bought a Whistles jacket a few weeks ago. I have had so many compliments about it and wear it nearly every day to work, so although I wasn't sure about it initially I am so glad I bought it. Buying this one today would just have been greedy and I can only wear one jacket at a time!

I also tried on a Next dress and a Betty Barclay one but again neither fit. And then I almost bought about 5 scarves (honestly, am SUCH a Magpie!) but I have loads of scarves and ONLY ONE NECK. So I put them back.

Of my epic haul a few weeks ago I have no regrets apart from possibly the H&M beach cover up, which is reminding me more and more of a hospital gown. But for what it cost, I won't beat myself up about it. The Whistles jacket and Urban Outfitters skirt are the favourites so far, and I'm looking forward to wearing the Karen Millen cardigan on holiday.

Ugh. I really want to go hunting again but must wait a few more weeks. Thank goodness I can offload here. Happy treasure hunting, people! M100
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 8th May 19, 4:50 PM
    • 9,608 Posts
    • 11,619 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    I bought a Whistles jacket a few weeks ago. I have had so many compliments about it and wear it nearly every day to work
    Originally posted by Magpie100
    Therefore you should definately go back and buy the other one tomorrow, otherwise people will think you only have one jacket.

Besides, clothes last longer if you don't wear them every day.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 8th May 19, 4:59 PM
    • 13,324 Posts
    • 182,959 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Two new ones within a couple of weeks of each other Candygirl, one mid September and one in early October life I feel is going to be interesting for a while.

Yesterday at the shop I volunteer in there was a baby play mat for £1 so I bought it thinking it would be nice for the new ones to wriggle on when they came to visit here.....today I did an extra shift as they are short staffed and the lady who had donated the play mat came in with two half hoops that she'd left at home and it's actually a baby gym! for £1 amazing!
    You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself!

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • janb5
    • By janb5 9th May 19, 11:03 AM
    • 1,944 Posts
    • 7,028 Thanks
    janb5
    Me too.
    I've seen loads but didn't know they were called that.

I obviously had a different idea of what 'reticulated' meant.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Ha...I didnt know until I saw it on the Ebay listing. " Lacy" would be fine too!
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 9th May 19, 3:54 PM
    • 5,962 Posts
    • 25,950 Thanks
    Mirů
    Could someone please confiscate my purse and credit cards?? I am spending too much 'big' money lately!!!

Called into my local Debra charity shop/coffee shop this afty. Spotted a Planet pure silk dress with matching clutch bag and wrap in the same fabric. Loved the colours, sludge green/pale yellow/cream & black and the outfit looked new, (possible worn once cos looked a bit like a wedding guest outfit). A size too big and priced at £16.99. Left it cos I was not too keen on altering a pure silk dress but it 'haunted' me as I continued my wanderings. Yep....I went back and bought it. Now having tried it on I can see it will only need the straps shortening a bit and the side seams under the arms taking in for a perfect fit. Not too daunting after all Doubt I will wear al 3 items together, (pattern overload). Can't find what the original price would have been but there is the dress only for sale on FleaBay starting at 99p... Will be watching to see if it sells and what for.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silk-Dress-Size-8-Green/183804606473
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

209Posts Today

3,806Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @IsabelHardman: This is really good. For all the stuff about noisy rows over the past few days, it?s worth remembering that a lot of abu?

• This is why I wrote the guide to financial abuse. It's tough to know when it's happening to you. It's also worth? https://t.co/XGI2sI7hOU

• RT @David_Challen: Really happy @MartinSLewis is raising awareness of economic/financial abuse. My mother cleaned her cousins home for poc?

• Follow Martin